Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#268226 - 03/17/14 03:14 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Using any firearm on snakes is just a waste of good ammo. My favorite reptile expediter is a long handled shovel. If that is not available, use any handy rock.

Usually the snake and I come to a quick agreement - he (she) goes north, and I go south...

#268233 - 03/17/14 04:22 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I absolutely agree hiker. 99.9% of the time. However there are some snake that are just aggressive, flat out mean or someone may have stepped into their strike range and don't have time to look for a stick or a rock. Then the critter has to be dispatched. Snakes make wonderful pets and are essential to the eco system, it always makes me a bit sad to kill one.

#268235 - 03/17/14 04:52 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
From what I've read about bear attacks, you will have the chance to use only one tool if attacked by a bear. Especially if we are talking about grizzlies, attacks happen at close quarters due to surprise encounters. Add to that, grizzly's are capable of running upwards of 55 kph (35 mph).

Personally, I defer to the advice of the experts in the field likes of Stephen Herrero and Tom Smith who advocate that the best defense against such attacks is bear spray; statistically you are more likely to walk away from a bear attack with bear spray as your primary defense tool and that is really what our end goal should be (I know its mine!). For example, Tom Smith stated the following regarding the gun v. spray debate:

What position do bear biologists take in this debate? I can’t speak for others, but after studying more than 600 Alaska bear attacks, I've learned:
  • In 72 incidents of people using bear spray to defend themselves against aggressive bears in Alaska, 98% were uninjured, and those that were suffered only minor injuries.
  • In 300 incidents where people carried and used firearms for protection against aggressive bears in Alaska, 40% were injured or killed, including 23 fatalities and 16 severely injured persons. Another 48 people suffered lesser injuries.

That said, it is perhaps even more important to understand the preventative measures you can take to avoid such surprises to start with.

Also, here are some additional conversations here at ETS on the topic: Teens mauled by grizzly in survival skills course, Bear attacks vs armed people

#268237 - 03/17/14 05:03 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: AKSAR]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I understand that bear spray is statistically more effective than firearms at halting attacks.
Ah yes, the eternal and very contentious debate about guns vs bear spray. These arguments always become very heated, with lots of strong opinions, often by people who have never actually shot a bear. In my opinion, a good sources is Rick Sinnott's article Are guns more effective than pepper spray in an Alaska bear attack? Sinnott recently retired as an Alaska Dept of Fish and Game wildlife biologist. For many years he was the biologist for the Anchorage area, and investigated numerous human/bear encounters, and disposed of many problem bears. He knows what he is talking about.

For a scientific article on the effectiveness of spray, see Smith et al: Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would check out a biologist named Stephen Herrero and his latest information.
See Herrero's book Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance. Herrero is a Canadian wildlife biologist, and one of the worlds experts on bears. His book is well worth a read. However the "revised edition" doesn't have a lot of new material, so it is well worth buying a used copy of the first addition, if you find one.

For the record, I own both long guns and handguns, and am profficient with them. I have killed two bears (one black & one brown) on hunting trips. However my own personal choice for most of my frequent activities in bear country is to carry bear spray rather than a gun. Your choices may differ.

I think I have that book at home; lent to me by a fellow ETS'er with the instruction to "pay it forward." So, OP, if you want it, shoot me a PM with your address.

Then you can tell me where you can shoot every week, and how I can better my skills at it!

Edited by MDinana (03/17/14 05:10 PM)

#268240 - 03/17/14 05:30 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
And if the.44magnum is no longer considered effective on bears then where does that leave the .357? JMHO

Cows kill more folks in North America than bears do. I don't think that there is a handgun powerful enough to deal with the likes of Hamish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEi_m5jqak0

Edit.

I would instead take some flash bang grenades instead if in the deep wilderness if you come across a Sasquatch, Am Fear Liath Mor, Yowie or even a Yeti as described in the following video involving the Australian SAS (Super Army Soldiers) and a bad ass Yowie (Aussie Bigfoots are notoriously grumpy) after getting into a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LlLdZXjMA

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/17/14 05:58 PM)

#268245 - 03/17/14 06:32 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
And if the.44magnum is no longer considered effective on bears then where does that leave the .357? JMHO

Cows kill more folks in North America than bears do. I don't think that there is a handgun powerful enough to deal with the likes of Hamish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEi_m5jqak0

Edit.

I would instead take some flash bang grenades instead if in the deep wilderness if you come across a Sasquatch, Am Fear Liath Mor, Yowie or even a Yeti as described in the following video involving the Australian SAS (Super Army Soldiers) and a bad ass Yowie (Aussie Bigfoots are notoriously grumpy) after getting into a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8LlLdZXjMA

AFLM, I just learned what your name is all about. Cool. Only took a few years.

#268248 - 03/17/14 07:22 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: MDinana]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: MDinana
AFLM, I just learned what your name is all about. Cool. Only took a few years.
The Big Foot of Scotland? Clan Sasquatch? smile

#268249 - 03/17/14 07:23 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
DW,

John Ross (of Unintended Consequences fame) worked with S&W to commission a limited number of .500 Magnums with 5" barrels.

If you are indeed accustomed to recoil, one of these may be a good choice for your purposes.

John Ross Website

Have a great time in Alaska!

Greg

#268251 - 03/17/14 07:35 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Greg

Thanks! Sounds like what the doctor ordered.

#268254 - 03/17/14 07:44 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I think a my .454 Casull could down a sasquatch. Honesstly, I don't see any land based animal currently in existence which could survive a solid hit to the vitals with a flat nosed solid powered by a heavy charge. JMHO

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.