Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268376 - 03/20/14 01:05 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I just want a watch that tells time accurately, with no muss or fuss - the cheaper, the better. I usually wind up with a Casio or a Times (actually they are battery powered, so I don't wind up anything).

#268377 - 03/20/14 01:23 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Most of the time I'm not wearing a watch at all. I only wear one when accurate time is a factor and often it just doesn't matter. The clock on my cellphone is more than adequate.

#268381 - 03/20/14 04:15 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The newer version of my favorite watch has a countdown timer. I guess I'll be updating. Apparently, Casio listens to its customers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094BK...;pf_rd_i=507846

#268384 - 03/20/14 04:31 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i wonder how many wear a cheap watch because they don't want to get stuck up and robbed for it,a fancy watch says i have bucks.

It's not that. I wear a watch for functionality, not as a jewelry piece. My requirements on functionality are pretty strict, and I don't see expensive watches that fit the bill. Or at least I don't see expensive watches that fit the bill better than watches in the $200 range.

Also, I'm not the type to repair a watch and get to know my favorite jeweler. I prefer to replace. If a $200 watch lasts for 3+ years of workouts, snowboarding, and swimming, then I got my money's worth.

#268389 - 03/20/14 07:21 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I had to look to see what I actually had on! smile

It is a Citizen - clock face with day/date. Very simple and quick to read with and without reading glasses. The hour marks have tiny luminscent stripes in them as well as the hands. I can usually make out the time in the dark as long as the stripes have been exposed to light. Waterproof to 30m, I've worn it while swimming and kayaking without any issues.

For me simple is better. If I had to put my reading glasses on to even read the time then it isn't simple anymore. Doesn't have to pretty. I'm not making a fashion statement. Doesn't need to be expensive. No $25k Rolex for me.

No alarm, no dual time, no stopwatch, no rotating bezel, no compass, yada yada. My smartphone does all that and better.

#268418 - 03/21/14 04:08 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
As far as getting held up, it is not likely. I am over 6 feet and 230 pounds - not your typical target. I am not as big as Blast and Benjammin, but close enough. Also, I tend to stay out of areas where the baddies like to be for their nefarious activities. Situational awareness - always looking for an escape.

#268419 - 03/21/14 04:12 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: ireckon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: ireckon
[quote=CANOEDOGS]If a $200 watch lasts for 3+ years of workouts, snowboarding, and swimming, then I got my money's worth.

My Timex Ironman cost $25 when I bought it and it lasted through many miles of swimming and years (at least 8) of daily wear. In fact, I cannot remember why I don't have it anymore. It went the same place as my Gerber Multitool - inexplicably beamed up.

#268423 - 03/21/14 07:05 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
Fyrediver Offline

I wear the cheapest one that I can find, usually a Timex or Casio. I only wear it at work and they get destroyed pretty regularly. I still need a second timer for vitals and a watch for date / time for reporting.

I usually shop at Campmor for watches on sale and buy a few at a time. Always have a spare for when the next one bites the dust!

#268424 - 03/21/14 11:55 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Most of the time I'm not wearing a watch at all. I only wear one when accurate time is a factor and often it just doesn't matter. The clock on my cellphone is more than adequate.

I would think the clock on your cell phone would be more accurate as most watches are not synced with a NTP source.

I have small arms/wrists so any watch stick out a lot, I've never been able to keep one for very long. I saw some clip on ones in the Cabelas catalog, anyone ever try those, sort of like a pocket watch but clip in your beltloop/backpack.

#268426 - 03/21/14 01:24 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Suunto Ambit 2 HR. I friggin' love the thing. First watch I've ever owned that cost over $40 or so.

I use the GPS tracking feature all the time when rucking and love being able to upload the tracks and share them online with friends via the website.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.