Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268316 - 03/18/14 09:20 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There's a Rolex Submariner I got while on active duty sitting in the safe. It's too heavy and not as accurate as those cheap Casio's. For the rare occasions a more dressy watch is required, I do have a manual wind Hamilton. Both of these are great looking watches, but for something for everyday wear and that can easily be replaced, Casio "Tough Solar" is the way to go.

#268352 - 03/19/14 04:51 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
My everyday watch is an Invicta Quinotaur Anniversary Edition Russian Diver - mechanical. I also have an Invicta quartz Russian Diver in black and silver, an Invicta Corduba Instrumental - automatic, a Croton something or other - quartz, and Bulova "dress watch" - quartz. I haven't decided on what to do for a digital watch, yet. I had a Timex Ironman for a bunch of years. I liked it because of the countdown feature. I used it for swimming. I would set the time to 38 minutes and then see if I could swim 1600 meters before it went off. It also had a countdown/count feature. You set a time for it to count down, start it and it would beep when it got to zero. It would then count up to the time - and cycle. It was good for running/interval training. I never did an Ironman. Good watch, though. I keep looking at the high-end Casios with all the gizmos and sensors.

Edited by MoBOB (03/19/14 04:56 PM)

#268356 - 03/19/14 06:26 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i wonder how many wear a cheap watch because they don't want to get stuck up and robbed for it,a fancy watch says i have bucks.
the best watch i ever had i got at the PX in Korea in 68 and i gave it to my houseboy,a x-Korean Army guy and no kid,when i walked out the hut and went back to the States.
the second best watch is at the bottom of a wilderness lake in Canada.i reached for my fishing rod and that flip-over latch on the band just touched the gunwale of the canoe and off it went.
my favorite watch is one i got by mail from Germany over 30 years ago from a ad in a gun magazine.Wolfram Debler or some name like that. a high end copy of a WW2 German Army watch with a big gong on the second hand and self winding.it stopped a few years ago and went to a drawer.
my Grandfather was buried with his gold pocket watch from Scotland that he had all his life,does anyone do that anymore?

#268359 - 03/19/14 07:02 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: CANOEDOGS]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i wonder how many wear a cheap watch because they don't want to get stuck up and robbed for it,a fancy watch says i have bucks.

This is another reason I wear the cheapo watch that I do (besides the fact hat it keeps great time).
I also have a Rolex GMT Master that I bought in the PX in 1973 for a couple of hundred. I'm afraid to wear it any more. The replacement value is way beyond crazy now. Great watch, but not worth the chance of losing or damaging it. . .

#268360 - 03/19/14 08:22 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: CANOEDOGS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

I wear a cheap watch, but it's not because I am giving up and allowing criminals to have control over what I do. Far from it.

#268362 - 03/19/14 09:39 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Anyone of these...must be in the minority. Couldn't have just one watch to wear all the time...just ain't gonna happen.

Edited by barbakane (03/19/14 09:43 PM)

#268364 - 03/19/14 10:53 PM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: barbakane]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

LOL! We all have our fetishes! Mine is not watches but I have a few friends that have more than you do. They are nice though.

#268365 - 03/20/14 02:02 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Turning out to be a good thread.

Thanks everyone for all the posts, links, recommendations, likes, etc. As MDinana pointed out, I think my first issue is I'm really having a tough time (no pun intended) deciding what I want out of a "watch". Just date/time, or more features, but if more features, which ones.....

The part of me that likes a full feature wrist device really likes the Casio PWR2500, but it doesn't have Sunrise/Sunset, is a little large for my wrist and has the older Ver. 2 sensor.

The newer Casios with the Ver. 3 Sensor don't have the multi-feature display of the PRW2500 and don't have moon phase info (but do have Sunrise/Sunset available). They are noticeably smaller, more proportioned to my wrist and render information faster than the older Pathfinder/ProTrek. The PRW3000 has the Ver. 3 sensor and looks ok, but reminds me almost too much of my Suunto. The PRG270 also with the new sensor is significantly less dollars than the older PRW2500 but not as visually appealing to me.

How can one company make so many models and not have the combination of features I’m wanting? Only one G-Shock with Triple Sensor and it’s the older V2 sensor?

I almost considered the new Garmin Tactix for a minute but price combined with need to charge it (monthly -- which will probably turn into a weekly event) are non-starters.

I like the Smiths but didn't see one with a date option.

I'm really liking the Bertucci AT-2 as a straight up time/date and the price looks reasonable for a titanium timepiece.

I like the Tritium on the LAPG, but probably going to stay away from battery watches; -- there's those priorities again I need to come to terms with.

So, I'm really going to try and focus on my priorities and I'll go through the all the links you provided again.

Barbakane -- nice collection. Maybe I need to look at this as a first purchase of several over the next few years.

As watches are relatively light to carry, I'm really am thinking I want two watches:
1) one solar or self-winding for longer-term simplicity and reliability
2) one with more features to satisfy the information junkie in me.

In the meantime, please keep the suggestions rolling in.

At this rate, I probably won't purchase until after Easter although by then Casio will probably have another dozen models out.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#268372 - 03/20/14 04:11 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm going lower and lower tech all the time. Switched from digital to analog several years ago. Next up, I think I'll drop the date window. Because with the analog watches, you have to manually update that for months that are less than 31 days. I always forget to do that. I noticed a while back that my date was off by five days! Guess I hadn't manually updated it recently (and obviously, I don't look at the date very often to have noticed!)

#268373 - 03/20/14 04:37 AM Re: Watches - What are you wearing these days [Re: buckeye]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i do some web searching,old used ones mostly,but the stuff coming out of China these days is really "something".watches the size of pop can tops with a few phony dials.every color under the sun with a nutty military look.the ones from Japan are so artsy i can't even read the dial!

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.