Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#268256 - 03/17/14 07:58 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: MDinana]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

MD

I presume you were addressing me?
We go to a public firing range to shoot, and while we pay our fees we stay away from the meetings and politics. Once a month we go to a private combat firing course with various firearms. We also like to keep up on long range rifle. I would suggest either a gun club or simply finding a private area and practicing as much as possible. If it's private land be sure to get permission first. Your local Sheriffs office or police department may also be able to direct you to an area where people shoot, as well as where the city limits end.

#268258 - 03/17/14 08:15 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I also have a copy, first edition, of Herrero's book. I too would be happy to pass it on. I found it very objective and factual. Herrero had no axe to grind (an axe wouldn't be of any use against a grizzly, anyway).

#268265 - 03/17/14 10:45 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I think a my .454 Casull could down a sasquatch. Honesstly, I don't see any land based animal currently in existence which could survive a solid hit to the vitals with a flat nosed solid powered by a heavy charge. JMHO

But will it take down a sasquatch before it takes down you? Animals could fight on even when mortally wounded.

While we're talking about such creatures, what do we do against aliens? I hear they use thought waves to paralyze you. Then they take you on board the ship for some probing. The aliens account for half of all disappearances in national parks (sasquatches account for the other half). Do we use pepper spray or big caliber handguns for this one?

#268266 - 03/17/14 10:51 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Bingley]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Bingley
... what do we do against aliens? I hear they use thought waves to paralyze you. Then they take you on board the ship for some probing. The aliens account for half of all disappearances in national parks (sasquatches account for the other half). Do we use pepper spray or big caliber handguns for this one?

Neither. You have to go defensive: tinfoil hats ... block the thought waves and you'll be okay wink.

#268271 - 03/17/14 11:46 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Bingley]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'll either be just be wandering about in a blind panic and an angry chipmunk will spell my doo. Or that I'll curl in a ball and cry in despair as bears and bigfoot and all his cousin have their way with me. I assure you that neither scenario is a possibility. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than of me letting my guard down. Sasquatch are not ninja
s. I have heard not a single account of a bigfoot laying in ambush for some poor human wandering about the wilderness. Yes animals can fight on after being injured. But big, heavy bullets tear up muscle, destroy arteries and internal organs, and break bones. And the cause bullet shock and profuse bleeding. Four rounds of .454 or .500 mag are going to put a dent in a grizzly's day, leaving one for the coup de gras. A gun doesn't mean that I'll survive the encounter, not by any means. But with a BIG gun, if the bear kills me, even wounded, the bear won't survive long enough to take out his frustrations on another human, like say a .357 might allow. And hopefully the bear bell I bought at Wal-Mart a few months ago will scare the bears and bigfoot and his cousins away and I can have my emotional breakdown in safety. JMHO.

Edited by Deathwind (03/18/14 12:08 AM)

#268272 - 03/17/14 11:54 PM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Denis]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Lol Denis. Remember to make your tin foil hat with the shiny side out. A crumple it slightly to disperse the government lobotomy laser beams like the guys down at homeless shelter do. And don't let the faces of your pocket change face each other or they'll plot about you. There are dozens of little tricks like that. Surprisingly they're more worried about the government than they are about aliens and ghosts.

#268275 - 03/18/14 12:33 AM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I also have a copy, first edition, of Herrero's book. I too would be happy to pass it on. I found it very objective and factual. Herrero had no axe to grind (an axe wouldn't be of any use against a grizzly, anyway).

Axe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupaOZCTFJY

knife
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/01/fraser-graham-kills-grizzly-bear-knife_n_4194910.html

handgun
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gal...node-1001334546

Kicking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fetEkYRXkP4

Edited by clearwater (03/18/14 12:36 AM)

#268277 - 03/18/14 01:17 AM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
MD

I presume you were addressing me?
We go to a public firing range to shoot, and while we pay our fees we stay away from the meetings and politics. Once a month we go to a private combat firing course with various firearms. We also like to keep up on long range rifle. I would suggest either a gun club or simply finding a private area and practicing as much as possible. If it's private land be sure to get permission first. Your local Sheriffs office or police department may also be able to direct you to an area where people shoot, as well as where the city limits end.

Way off topic, but yes, I was referencing you.

Gun clubs in my area are pricey, and from what I hear, "good ole boy" related. I'm cheap (on some things) and not local, and not planning to stay that way. I found my local outdoor range, but it's pretty ... how to be polite ... well, a trash dump looks rather similar. Isolated, random trash/melons/clay pigeons/brass everywhere. The few times I'm there alone it's fine for some drills, but when there are folks there, it's very loose rules. More than once I've started past the line after a general cease fire and some jackwad started popping off rounds.

#268282 - 03/18/14 02:51 AM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: MDinana]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Then you can tell me where you can shoot every week, and how I can better my skills at it!

Damn, that's not safe at all. We;;. when I was growing up we just found a quiet place with a good solid backstop like a berm or cliff and did our practice there. My advice would be to call your local SO or ask around. I'd also suggest reloading if you don't already, but kike I said the price of components has gone way up. Some LE departments allow civilians to use their ranges on the theory that it's safer to have them shoot there.

Edited by Deathwind (03/18/14 02:57 AM)

#268283 - 03/18/14 02:51 AM Re: .444 Marlin Caliber Pistol [Re: Deathwind]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'll either be just be wandering about in a blind panic and an angry chipmunk will spell my doo. Or that I'll curl in a ball and cry in despair as bears and bigfoot and all his cousin have their way with me.

No, I was not assuming anything of the sort about you. In fact, I have no questions about your manhood, since you have repeatedly told us how big, strong, brave, and deadly you are. Jerry Miciulek would probably pee in his pants if he ever had to shoot alongside you in a competition. I was merely assuming that since you are so gifted and knowledgeable about guns, you'd know about the robber who took a hit center mass. With a 12 ga slug. He kept fighting, In fact, he was still alive the next day and he survived. You also know about the guy who took multiple hits to the heart, as autopsy showed, and still kept fighting, killing some LEOs in the process. (Alright, I think this case was 9mm, but the 12 ga delivers more energy than the large handgun calibers.) Now, these may be freak cases, but it just takes one freak bear to survive a minute after being shot to kill you with one well-placed bite.

According to some theorists, sasquatches are scouts for an alien invasion. They are enormously strong and resilient. They bleed acid. You'd better prepare. There are lots of them in Alaska because of the oil reserves. I doubt they'd be as gentle at probing as the little greys. smile

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.