The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#267811 - 03/03/14 03:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Looks pretty well in order, to me. The only thing I might recommend considering, is a purpose designed tourniquet. There are some leaks compression bandages just wont plug, by themselves.

Look at the SOFTT-W and the SWAT-T tourniquets. They only weigh a few ounces. Cheap insurance.

Edited by barbarian (03/03/14 03:41 PM)

#267813 - 03/03/14 03:26 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It would be far simpler, and actually weigh less, to just drop all of that molle crap into a nice large pannier and pull it out when you go pedestrian. I usually put a briefcase in one pannier, and a small, light day bag in the other when commuting.

You can probably deduce that I am not a molle fan - IMHO, it is unnecessarily heavy and cumbersome, of little use outside a battlefield, where I will grant it may have utility....

#267816 - 03/03/14 03:47 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Jolt]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Any bike will serve, especially if you push it through the dicey spots. The best is probably the bike with which you are familiar. If you want to go all out, you might consider a long tail cargo bike or similar, www.xtracycle.com/what-is-a-longtail with exceptional cargo capacity.

You will find that the right saddle will be extremely important, as well as proper (i.e., padded) cycling shorts or skivvies. You want lots of gears, the lower the better...I can guarantee that.

#267818 - 03/03/14 04:08 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
+1 on lots of low gears. For this reason alone I like my 21 speed mountain bike -- lots of low end gears for going up hill. You will also want plenty of eyelets for mounting the fenders and racks you may want, not all bikes have them.

Mostly what you need is a safe place to store your bike at work, lest you go for your get home escape route and find someone else has taken it home.

#267820 - 03/03/14 04:21 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am always looking for clothing, especially shoes, that will be up to the task, but that are also adequate for an office casual setting.

Try looking at these Rockports (standard disclaimers, no affiliations, just a happy customer). Or a similar style to suit your office environment and personal tastes, if you find the right pair they will feel almost as comfortable as your favorite walking shoes. I've worn Rockports like this for the last 12 years or so, now I am so spoiled I can't/won't wear anything else. I'm confident that mine will get me through the 10 mile walk home from work if necessary. YMMV

#267832 - 03/03/14 09:15 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Those Rockports look like winners. The soles might even have lugs, if the illustration is correct.

#267838 - 03/03/14 11:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

If those are the shoes I'm thinking of, the sole has grooves across to allow it to flex, Those aren't lugs, but it is a fairly high mileage sole.

#267879 - 03/05/14 06:30 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Walking the Ground is the ONLY Way to truly understand the obstacles in your way. Until you actually travel the kind of distance on the ground you want to, you cannot really gauge the obstacles in your way and therefore the type of equipment/gear you need to take with you to ensure you can complete the journey.
boreal.net

#267880 - 03/05/14 07:20 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Unfortunately, for some of us in SOCAL,the ground will be different after the major seismic event. Walking the fairly benign path now may be nothing like walking after. Which bridges are still intact and which ones collapsed? If we're lucky and the ground is still benign, I'll drive home.

#267910 - 03/06/14 06:02 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Unfortunately, for some of us in SOCAL,the ground will be different after the major seismic event. Walking the fairly benign path now may be nothing like walking after. Which bridges are still intact and which ones collapsed? If we're lucky and the ground is still benign, I'll drive home.

Particularly in freeway dense areas like Southern California, the issue of collapsed under/overpasses and bridges could be a real hassle, even for people on foot. And if there is still vehicular traffic on the freeways, finding a safe detour over the freeway(s) on the way home could add a lot of extra mileage and time to your "get home" adventure.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.