Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#267745 - 02/27/14 06:06 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Remember, when building your kit, it's easy to dump or cache items that you don't need. My commuter kit ran heavy primarily because of the gigantic laptop issued to me by my employer -- if I planned to walk a long distance I could leave it at work or take the hard drive out and dump the rest.

I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

#267748 - 02/27/14 10:52 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Can't stress the importance of cash. DW never carried cash "I have checks and a credit card". Worked great until there was a power outage. No lunch for her. Since then, she carries a decent tho not large amount of cash.

I agree, go heavy, dump what you don't need. If you need a rainsuit a garbage bag may suffice, but wouldn't that rainsuit be better?

#267750 - 02/28/14 12:09 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Another constraint to a Get Home Bag is your storage situation at work or school or wherever you'll typically be when you're out.

Even if you drive, depending on what kinds of events you are trying to prepare for, keeping your kit in your car may not be the smartest idea. For example, in earthquake country, keeping your kit in a car parked in a seismically iffy parking structure could turn out to be a dumb idea. Remember in the North Ridge or Loma Prieta quakes here in California, a number of buildings with carports on the ground level collapsed during the shaking.

#267751 - 02/28/14 12:19 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good point about large concrete parking garages. I do keep my GHB in the truck as part of a 96 hr kit, but when I'm out and about I park in the open so a building collapse is not a concern, unless I'm in it.

As it is, if I need to use that bag (Camelbak Ridge Runner) as a GHB, I'll repack it based on conditions at that time. I may just decide to stay with the truck. It depends. . .

#267755 - 02/28/14 01:57 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Can't stress the importance of cash. DW never carried cash "I have checks and a credit card". Worked great until there was a power outage.

Not long ago I found myself in a downtown parking structure with only automated payment systems, and the connection to the bank had apparently failed. You could get out with cash, or not at all. Wasn't a problem for me, but others were stuck.

#267760 - 02/28/14 05:23 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: chaosmagnet]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm going to suggest that we define terms to focus our discussion. As TeacherRO started this thread and cited in that blog article, we should define our GHB as a stand alone kit or as a part of our daily work carryall. It's one step up from EDC gear. But, it's several steps down frm a BOB or even a 72hr. kit. The GHB is for urban commutes on trains, ferry, buses, bikes and foot. It must be light and inconspicuous enough that we will schlepp it every day, without dreading it or calling unwanted attention to ourselves. It may have to pass a security screen search/ x-ray. Thus , I suggest a max weight of ~10-12lb.s of prep gear, including the backpack, not including work related gear.

I view the GHB as my support system to gear me up to safely evac out of the tall, blacked out , smokey, debris strewn, toxic dust filled high rise, mall, theatre or tunnel. So it needs leather/ Nomex gloves, flat N-95 masks, swim googles, small coin cell headlamp and a 2 AA-AAA hand flashlight (Streamlight ProTac 2AA for me) w. Lithium batteries ( no or limited xtra batt.s, too heavy) Xcaper smoke mask, TOPS flat whistle to signal, AMK small signal mirror, Leatherman Blast, Res-Q-me, small two ended pocket screwdriver ( acceptable in venues where LM isn't ). If the LM is a security problem, substitute a smallish needle nose plier. Also a large EMT shears. (A great multipurpose cutting tool. Acceptable even to the TSA).

Next, my GHB needs to patch me up in case of small cuts, blisters,splinters, etc. A boo -boo kit. Self made dental first aid kit ( includes oil of cloves, Temperin, wax, cotton, tea bag) But it also needs a trauma kit ( mine=2 pad, 6"" Izzy Bandage, TK-4 tourniquet , large Quik-Clot Sponge,
10ft.. Gorilla tape( multi purpose), crinkle gauze pack, 5 4"x4"pads, 28 French nasal airway, chest seal bandage, vasoline sterile patch, 3pair nitrile gloves, hot ironed XL yellow bandanna packed in sterile breast milk bag (bandage/sling/mask/signal flag. Prescription meds as necessary, painKillers if Doc wiill give u a scrip, aspirin ( disaster areas are heart attack heavens), generics including Benedryl, pseudeophedrine, caffeine tabs, ( use the last two together for energy boost, if Doc says ur up to it), Advil, antibiotic ointment. etc.
Some carry prescribed antibiotics like Z -max and Cipro. If you or a family member needs it, an Epipen.

Now,I need support to do my walkout or (last resort) bed down: liner socks ( + smart wool in season), siltarp ultra lite poncho or plastic disposable, button compass, map is optional, No extra clothes. Dress appropriate to the weather at the start. Extra eye/ sunglasses, AMK reflective 2 person Mylar type blanket, 25' Kelar cord 400#, 25' Kevlar string, very small am-fm radio to get news/emergency instructions, at least $500 in small bills ( no one's making change in a disaster. It's hard to exaggerate the importance of cash. It can save your life in a mugging, buy an unavailable taxi ride, tow or hotel room in a blizzard, etc.

Minimal food for quick energy: M&Ms , Millennium Bar, energy gel packet. Water is more important. I carry a 27oz. Naglene bottle in a Camelbak insulated sleeve w. belt loop, nested in a small Ti cup. It's usually empty. Also 2 SR plastic water bags, flat folding coffee filter holder+ 3 filters, water pure tabs. 2 Seychelles Advanced water purifier straws. ( I may switch bottles and use a Seychelles Advanced purifier bottle, with the filter kept seperately in a zip lock, so as not to use it when clean water is available for the bottle. )

Miscellaneous gear includes, 90cu in nylon zip bag that be attached to bottom tabs to expand carry capacity, 2 24" cords w. Spring locks for use w. the lash tabs, waterproof pen+ marker, waterproof writing pad 3"x5", small Bic lighter (tape under tab to prevent accidental discharge of the gas), 5 Storm matches+ 2TinderTabs in a small sealed bag, P-38 can opener, very light Brunton Monocular, AND the sundries of everyday life, tissues, travel roll of toilet paper, Wet Wipes, Tide Pen, eye drops, Ricoli , small meds vial for everyday, inhaler, 1 oz. Purell hand sanitizer, floss sticks, ear plugs, flat brush, tums, gum, an expanded small sewing kit in a small zip loc,( hotel kit, sleeve button, xtra needles, some HD thread, needle threader, safety pins), wires and plugs for my cell phone and I -Pad for wall &scar charging. My cell phone has a Mophie aux. batt. Unit case.

All up its ~11lb.s. in my black Tom Binh Synapse with the added bottom lash tabs. Happy prepping.

Edited by acropolis5 (02/28/14 06:45 AM)

#267762 - 02/28/14 02:40 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Food for thought: Most of these people would have been on their way to work, some on the way home, and they ended up here. Many for hours, waiting on heated busses in -30C windy conditions. I understand that there are still vehicles being pulled outta there this morning.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/96-vehicles-in...288381481237582

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#267763 - 02/28/14 03:36 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

By limiting your definition of a GHB as only for urban commutes on mass transit you are telling guys like me that drive to find another acronym. A GHB is a bag designed to get you home in whatever situation you happen to be in. Some peeps like me don't use mass transit but we still need a GHB available, in our case we may only need to carry it one way and it might not have to carry any contents for the daily grind.

I commute in a small truck and use it as a base kit; it carries a lot and after a serious seismic event I can camp with it or use it to select items for a GHB. I'd never bug out with just a backpack, but getting home is something else.

Part of my truck kit is a Camelbak backpack with enough in it for an overnight. Your 10-12 pound limit is about right. Mine is closer to 15 lbs but that includes a full water bladder.

Some daily mass transit commuters may be limited to just what is in the bag on their back, others may have a drawer or cabinet in their office to keep supplemental GHB supplies.

Limiting this thread to only what is in Teacher's OP is fine if your goal is to carry your entire GHB on your daily commute; my goal is to have lots of options. I think we should keep the thread open to those options.

#267768 - 02/28/14 04:15 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My daily routine usually involves work commutes of five to ten miles, either by car or on a bike. There is always the possibility that I could remain at work overnight if unexpected demands occur. I like to stock both the vehicle and, to a more limited extent, the bicycle, with what I term "glitch" supplies - some water, snacks, small stove and pot, etc. Just enough that I can manage to hike home if I need to. I am always looking for clothing, especially shoes, that will be up to the task, but that are also adequate for an office casual setting.

I suppose that the worst case scenario for most of us Cali types would be trudging homeward through the smoke and flames - the aftermath of a significant earthquake.

Edited by hikermor (02/28/14 04:18 PM)

#267770 - 02/28/14 05:01 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

A good bike would be nice to have but mine doesn't go to work. However, following a major seismic event having a bike with the right tires would be a good thing and I'm not sure skinny road tires are the best option. I went with WTB Slickasaurus tires on my early 90's Cro-Moly mountain bike. Good on pavement but can handle pot-holes, curbs and other bad things much better than a pure road tire. They're not as fast though and that is the trade-off.

Edit: I may replace the Slickasaurus tires with a set of Continental Travel Contact. Slick on center line for asphalt and knobs on the edges for off-road. My bike was designed with clearance for 2+ inch knobbies so a 1.75" tire is not an issue.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.