well, i've never dealt with trioxine, but i thought i'd fill everyone in on my recent experience with it.

After reading this post, I was at a local surplus shop and saw the bars on sale for $0.90 for a box of three. When I looked at them, they were marked 07/11/86. That's right, 1986. So, just out of curiosity I bought three boxes.

When I got them home, I went out back with a Bic, Matches, and Flint/Mag bar (which i'm not too fond of) Anyway, I broke off a small piece, layed it down, and fired it right up with the Bic. I was completely amazed that it even burned,much less so well.

I tried the flint by itself with no luck. After about 8 solid hits on the bar with sparks I thought I'd try some Mag shavings. I shaved off a very, very small amount of magnesium. Not even enough to cover a dime. With one hit from the flint bar, the trioxine was up an running. I was amazed.

I had the opportunity to try it out in the field two nights ago on a short hike/campout with some friends. They've never dealt
with it before and were equally amazed at it's burn temperature. It burned long enough and hot enough to start our fire in no time.

In summary, for 90 cents for three bars, I think I can find some room in my pack for it. It may not be "life dependable" but for most
circumstances, it's outstanding. I should mention that I believe that in no way should a manufactured fire starter ever replace the
ability to start a fire without one. All you need is an ember!!! Practice your fire bow and carry cordage and a stout knife. And by all
means, get out there and enjoy yourself!

-Luke