The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#267977 - 03/09/14 05:54 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Byrd.i tried several times in the past few months but the program will not load.i think i screwed up when there was some sort of reader bug said to be infection computers so i took the one my Daughter had in the computer out and now i can't get it back it.
on the SS the more i read and look at the Youtubes this seems to be the best ideas in hasty shelters i have seen.just three types of plastic that cane be folded or stuffed in a small bag and put up with not much in the way of woodcraft is a real winner.
no lashings,digging,looking around a wet forest for materials.
keeping your energy reserve up and not burning the BTU's making a shelter is a plus right from the start.

#267979 - 03/09/14 03:15 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: CANOEDOGS]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Byrd.i tried several times in the past few months but the program will not load.i think i screwed up when there was some sort of reader bug said to be infection computers so i took the one my Daughter had in the computer out and now i can't get it back it.<snip>

Your other alternative is to simply download the file and then upload it to Google Docs. You can then use Google Docs integrated .pdf viewer to see the file online.

There are also online viewers like http://www.viewdocsonline.com/. However, there may be privacy concerns with using such services, so be careful.

#267986 - 03/10/14 01:40 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: Deathwind]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
We have a lot of wind here. How well does the SS stand up to wind?

Quite Well, we normal hold the edges down with snow, logs and on bigger 2 or 3 person shelter I use an extra two saplings to hold down the plastic.
boreal.net

#268005 - 03/11/14 09:25 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Is it possible to to fit the required components into a cargo pocket?

#268027 - 03/12/14 02:30 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: Burncycle]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Burncycle
Is it possible to to fit the required components into a cargo pocket?

I think it would could be broken down into two pockets; 1) Plastic Roll, Twine, & Mylar Blanket, 2) Parachute or Nylon. I have carried inside a pot and in a very small daypack.
boreal.net

#268064 - 03/14/14 03:32 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Any chance you could post a step by step construction of it with photos and text for those of us who have trouble learning, like me?

#268075 - 03/14/14 03:15 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
bacpacboy has been bugging me to camp out in our mini super shelter since day one and he's on March Break this week so he's been out there playing every day. When my day off from work rolled around, and I asked him what he wanted to do, he said "Can we go camping in the backyard?" Sure! smile The weatherman predicted that at least 15cm of snow and temperatures as low as -30C with sustained high winds would roll in overnight, so this bacpacmama put the kibosh on sleeping outside, but we would make a day of it, and move one step closer to that goal.

Here's a little youtube video showing our progress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj48psn4gxE

I wanted this to be more than just a little fun in the backyard. The idea behind this shelter has been that bacpacboy has the lead on building it, and we're using (mostly) just what he carries in his hug-a-tree day hike kit. In other words: no tools were injured during this bug-out. (He does carry a SAK in his kit, and we used it to cut our paracord and lashings. He's also fascinated with axes and hatchets right now, so we're using a hatchet to strip greenery off pine and cedar branches.) Otherwise, I'm trying to mostly only use/do what he can manage on his own - just like he'd have to if he ever has to really use that survival kit of his.

The original lean-to we built a week ago was just a simple tripod, with a juniper bush ridge beam lashed to our spruce tree, some pine and juniper bows, all covered with a plastic sheet. It held up ok, but had the plastic got some holes in it and it wasn't going make it through an impending winter storm. We've scavenged what we could from the neighbourhood, which is still recovering from December's ice storm, so we're now moving out further to find shelter building materials. Because we were in the middle of a temporary thaw that day, the big question for bacpacboy this time around, was whether to take the sled or the wagon. He chose to leave them both at home, which resulted in lots of mileage on his boots but very few new branches to work with. frown

Prototype backyard lean-to from a week ago

It was a gorgeous day - the first in what felt like forever that we didn't need to bundle up to go outside. Puddles were forming all over the backyard, but we were set up on the driest patch, so we repositioned a little bit to try and block a little more of the wind. Then we adjusted all the beams, retied all the lashings and reinforced the foot holds with a little ice and snow. Then we hung a thermal casualty blanket as the back wall, and covered the whole thing with the plastic sheet.

Key Gear: Paracord (and various pieces of rope), thermal casualty blanket, clear plastic painter's drop sheet, ax, SAK Camper

The Bough Bed
We started making a bough bed, and covered it with a black garbage bag, a thick fleece blanket and a wool blanket. Not good enough for sleeping, but nice for a day camp.

Key Gear: black garbage bag moisture barrier, fleece blanket padding, wool blanket/poncho for warmth

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#268079 - 03/14/14 03:53 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: bacpacjac]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I like the fact that you make him use what he carries. This is good training and prevents disappointments in areal life situation. Kudos. He seems to have done a fine job on his super shelter.

#268391 - 03/20/14 07:34 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: Deathwind]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I just read your equipment list, now I'd like to know all the details to construct it and how it works. I think I saw cody lundin build something like this a long time ago, but he used a tarp I believe.

Cody used a version of this in Dual Survival. After Dave figured out how it works he is now teaches it on some of his courses/videos. The plastic sheet allows the radient heat in and then traps it like a greenhouse.

#268394 - 03/20/14 08:24 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: Roarmeister]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
The plastic sheet allows the radient heat in and then traps it like a greenhouse.

That's the key. The plastic allows heat in then holds it around you like a bubble, instead of that warm air dissipating away. Adding the space blanket has an additional effect but in my experience it's not necessary for the shelter to work well. Of course I have only used a supershelter down to the mid 20's. If you used it in significantly colder weather I suppose the space blanket's contribution would become increasingly important.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.