The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#268089 - 03/14/14 06:03 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
More (much more) information on the many systems airliners communicate information: Today's Malaysia Airlines 370 News: What It Means That the Plane Apparently Kept Flying

James Fallows explains the various systems, and which ones can be disabled from the cockpit, and which ones can't. Fallows is a well known writer who has spent much time living in Asia. He is also an experienced private pilot, and occaisionaly writes on aviation topics.

Quote:
This latest information obviously works against possibilities that the plane vanished from radar coverage because it blew up -- via bomb, some structural failure, missile strike, meteorite, what have you. The fact that the plane kept flying, with its transponders turned off, also works against any "pilot hypoxia" assumptions. (The idea that the pilots somehow both lost their oxygen supply and passed out, as happened in different circumstances 15 years ago in the Payne Stewart crash and in a crash in Greece in 2005.) If two pilots were simultaneously nodding off at the controls, there is no reason why their last conscious act would be to disable the transponders -- rather than radioing for help, descending into thicker air, reaching for the emergency oxygen bottles, etc. Possibilities involving deliberate destruction -- by the flight crew on its own, or by attackers who got control of the plane -- thus become more likely.

#268091 - 03/14/14 06:54 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bsmith]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: bsmith
. . . i'm thinking it's straight out of james bond. ernst blofeld, dr no.....

More like "Thunderball." Slip a double onto a Vulcan with 2 nukes on board, kill the crew, fake a crash, fly to the Bahamas, ditch, unload the nukes. Next stop, Miami.

Except for Bond, James Bond. . . cool

#268092 - 03/14/14 07:10 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bws48

In all fairness, I do feel for the families and friends who are still distraught and grieving, and here we are saying flippant stuff like this. Normally I am sensitive to that, but this is just a WEIRD unfolding story.

#268093 - 03/14/14 08:10 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: bws48

In all fairness, I do feel for the families and friends who are still distraught and grieving, and here we are saying flippant stuff like this. Normally I am sensitive to that, but this is just a WEIRD unfolding story.

Sorry if my post seemed inappropriate. But even respected press organizations are thinking this way, and its getting weirder.

A news story quotes Reuters as listing 5 possibilities of what is going on, number 5 of which is:

“5. There may be a rescue under way. If the flight was hijacked, and landed, and the passengers may be alive, and there is some idea about where the Boeing 777 might be, then military authorities might not want to let the hijackers know how closely they are being tracked.”

At least they also admit that it is "not only improbable, but wildly conspiratorial" but then point out "except that it has happened before, at Entebbe. . ."

See: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/...ia-Airlines-370

#268094 - 03/14/14 08:46 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
At this point I would consider this as a Nat. Security matter.
IMHO the plane is on the ground somewhere intact until it can be proven it
crashed. If it crashed at sea what are the odds it sank in one piece ie no debris.
If it was landed at a remote spot it has been hidden by now.
What type of tech would be required to see a covered or hidden aircraft?
Would I.R. work, Sat. based Radar?
Considering our history with Terrorism and Aircraft IMO this needs to be
classed as a Severe National Security Threat !
What is the down side for anyone IF the USA treats it as a threat?
I don't really see any, the plane gets found, good or bad the families get closure, the threat is rendered harmless.
I do not see any downside for the Malay govt. either, they have already lost "Face", unless perhaps they are complicit in the "Loss".

#268095 - 03/14/14 09:34 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I worked the Boeing 727 crash in Escambia Bay during May 1978. This was the "perfect" water landing and there was lots of debris in the form of suitcase pieces and clothing. The primary damage was to the belly of the fuselage where it first came in contact with the water at 100+ knots. There were pieces of the underside that floated and were recovered as well.

If you wish to research this crash, it was National Airlines Flight 193, the aircraft's name was "Donna". The aircraft was raised and taken via barge to the Pensacola Navel Airsta for sufficient repairs to fly out.

There were 3 dead. 1 from heart failure after getting into the water w/life jacket donned and 2 from drowning after getting into the water w/I life jackets.

#268096 - 03/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Nah, it was auto pinging of equipment.

Edited by frediver (03/14/14 09:59 PM)

#268097 - 03/14/14 09:59 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: frediver
What is the down side for anyone IF the USA treats it as a threat?

It probably already has. The U.S. Navy is not cruising the area for fun.

#268098 - 03/14/14 11:20 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: frediver
At this point I would consider this as a Nat. Security matter.

The problem of stolen large commercial passenger jets is not new. It's happened in Africa before (as in, one day a 727 that was parked out-of-the-way somewhere isn't there when airport workers go looking for it).

The major problem with the hijacked-for-future-nefarious purposes is: now what? There aren't too many places an unexpected 777 can land and hide unnoticed, especially with a major search for a 777 underway.

The antagonist in movies is always an Evil Genius, but it real life they're often Evil Morons. Anyone trying to steal a 777 probably falls in the latter group.

#268099 - 03/14/14 11:41 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
CNN is going absolutely berserk with trumped-up theories with hardly any facts. I'm getting irritated because some facts from two days ago were suddenly not facts yesterday, but now they're facts again today. I feel sorry for the families involved.

Page 7 of 14 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.