Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#268451 - 03/21/14 07:16 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Just received an email that indicates the Yellowstone Caldera is getting ready to pop. Since this would be an extinction level event, seems it would be hard to contain the info but it is what it is. Anyone else heard anything or is this just someone pushing this catastrophic possibility yet again.
The email linked to: Supervolcano activity in Yellowstone/

My friend thinks that because we're in SOCAL we should survive the Yellowstone Super-volcano cooking off. We may survive the initial blast, but what do our local earthquake faults do in reaction. I don't know, but medium to long term global winter comes to mind. Global warming? How about a prolonged cooling... Thoughts? Comments? Beating a dead horse?

I'd take that source with a boat load of salt. If the whole calderra went up, yes it would be very very serious with worldwide effects but E.L.E. is borderline mass hysteria! The volcano blew up before and guess what, much less of a die off than 65M years ago when Mexico was pummelled by a meteor. Secondly, the whole calderra doesn't alway blow. There have been many documented mini-blows and lava flows that are a lot more common than the big one. The number of small quakes is an indicator of activity. They had a flurry of small quakes in the caldera a few years ago and then quiet since then. You can go to the website and check into the monitoring activities yourself. If the underlying lava pool did burst you would see higher quake activity and a growing measuable lift to the caldera. The only relevant thing that has happened since that burst of activity a few years ago is that they have mapped the volume of the lava bubble more accurately and it appears to be much larger than first calculated.

Everything else - is just tabloid fodder.

#268452 - 03/21/14 07:19 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: wildman800]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: wildman800
My POV is that if I have no ability to control, influence, or mitigate the outcome, then I won't waste my energy worrying about it. Life is too short.

As a PREPPER, I'm able to mitigate the personal effects that most man or natural made incidents can have on me and my family. I leave everything else in God 's hands to have us where we are supposed to be at that time.

Spoken like someone with a decent head on their shoulders. I like your attitude.

#268470 - 03/22/14 01:56 AM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: wildman800]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: wildman800
.... snip> They might be feeling frisky and playing also.

It is Spring, when a young buffalo's fancy turns to ....

grin

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#268480 - 03/22/14 04:44 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: buckeye]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is a real eye opening thread,not so much because it alerts anyone to a likely hazard, but because it shows just how much silliness and raw misinformation, unintentioned or otherwise, exist today. Following some of the lined threads is mind blowing.

I think Wildman has the right attitude toward this stuff.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.