Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267949 - 03/08/14 04:30 PM Yellowstone Caldera acting up??
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just received an email that indicates the Yellowstone Caldera is getting ready to pop. Since this would be an extinction level event, seems it would be hard to contain the info but it is what it is. Anyone else heard anything or is this just someone pushing this catastrophic possibility yet again.
The email linked to: Supervolcano activity in Yellowstone/

My friend thinks that because we're in SOCAL we should survive the Yellowstone Super-volcano cooking off. We may survive the initial blast, but what do our local earthquake faults do in reaction. I don't know, but medium to long term global winter comes to mind. Global warming? How about a prolonged cooling... Thoughts? Comments? Beating a dead horse?

#267951 - 03/08/14 04:52 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I have real doubts. Especially when the alleged e-mail talks about it "blowing" with comet Ison and solar flares causing "fault lines" to act up. Ison and solar flares have nothing to do with causing fault lines or super-volcanos to act up.

If the alleged e-mail lacks credibility, because it totally lacks any scientific basis, then the whole story falls apart.

IMO, someone made up the e-mail, and tried to make it more "credible" by throwing in that extra stuff, without understanding basic science. Given that a recent survey said that 1 in 4 Americans think the sun revolves around the earth, the lack of scientific knowledge is not surprising.

#267953 - 03/08/14 05:05 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I vote for the dead horse. We are constantly bombarded with The End Of The World Is Nigh! Until it'll be like the boy who cried wolf one too many times. I'm already jaded by doomsday prophecy and say bring on the zombie apocalypse so I can at least see that. From inside an armored vehicle or hard site of course.

#267954 - 03/08/14 05:25 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Can you say "B.S.," which of course stands for "Bad Science..."

You gotta love this stuff, especially if you are deep into conspiracy theories.

#267955 - 03/08/14 05:36 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

So many people are into the conspiracy theories. Every year when my kids were in school they brought home the same old tired printout about how the schools had been warned about LSD in certain types of stickers, and how it had just been brought to their attention.

#267956 - 03/08/14 05:59 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
But but but I read it on the internet, it must be true wink

Knock on wood ... I am not superstitious ...

#267959 - 03/08/14 06:52 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The really great thing about all of this is that, eventually, the doomsayers will more or less be vindicated, and they will be able to say "I told you so..."

When I was a kid, the prevailing notion was that the Yellowstone region was more or less defunct, and the geysers and hot springs were the last whimper of fading volcanic activity. More recent work has shown that there is plenty of volcanic potential.

But when will eruptions, etc. occur? We are not yet able to predict earthquakes and eruptions with any significant precision, although progress is made.

You can check out USGS websites and get a very good idea of the earthquake, etc., potential. It is information gathered with public money and freely available for all.

#267960 - 03/08/14 07:01 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
According to USGS, the Caldera is currently condition green, just below the Cascade range condition green. Not much concern over that.

I suppose there might be some science linking solar activity or gravitational shifts affecting seismology. In some remote way, I suppose warping the magnetic field could put some stress on something somewhere, or some object sailing by might add some gravitational stress somehow. But the scale of the effects would be so miniscule, I would have think it'd be akin to me jumping up and down in one spot (I am a pretty big feller). What do you suppose the odds are I could jump up and down beside old faithful and cause the whole thing to fall in? LOL

#267961 - 03/08/14 07:10 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I know bull$h!t when I hear bull$h!t.......and this is bull$h!t. smile

If anyone not into conspiracy theories wants some real data, gathered with public money, and freely available to the public go to Yellowstone Volcano Observatory

EDIT:
Quote:
A Brief FAQ About Recent News Reports February 28, 2014

Recent weeks have seen a flurry of news, real and imagined, about the Yellowstone volcanic system. We present here a brief FAQ about several topics that have appeared in recent news reports.

Has earthquake activity at Yellowstone increased dramatically over the last month?

No. Earthquake activity is normal. When earthquakes occur, they appear on the University of Utah's Yellowstone Earthquake Map, or on the YVO monitoring page. Also see our February 5, 2014 Information Statement about the misinterpretation of noise from a broken seismometer.

Is the recent episode of ground deformation worrisome?

No. Current rates of ground deformation are well within historical norms. Please see our February 18, 2014 Information Statement, for more information about ground deformation at Yellowstone

Do helium emissions at Yellowstone signal an impending eruption?

No. YVO Scientist-in-Charge Jacob Lowenstern and colleagues recently published research on helium (He) emissions at Yellowstone in the journal Nature. The new research looked at apparent changes in the helium output of the Yellowstone area during its two-million-year volcanic history, compared with the previous two billion years of comparative stability. The research has nothing to do with current activity at Yellowstone, and has no implications about volcanic hazards. For a humorous and informative take on the new research, watch this video, or read this news article.

Edited by AKSAR (03/08/14 07:23 PM)

#267963 - 03/08/14 07:19 PM Re: Yellowstone Caldera acting up?? [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Russ

omg. Do you think someone on the internet would lie to us? My view of the world is so changed now, my innocence had been ripped away. Lol.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.