Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#267941 - 03/08/14 11:13 AM Lost Malaysian Plane
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Fingers crossed for the souls on board.

BBC News

I am surprised that a commercial flight could 'disappear' for so long. I was under the impression that they were monitored very closely and that a rescue would be put in place within minutes.

What is the the typical time for locating such a downed flight?

Edited by Ian (03/08/14 11:15 AM)

#267942 - 03/08/14 12:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
"Vanish" is a bit of a journalistic exaggeration.

News reports are that the data links from the plane and radar give a good location where the plane went down. Radar tracked "a plane" (presumably the plane in question) "descending" at that location. The location is over the ocean, and "so far" no wreckage has been sighted. Reports are that there were no distress calls call from the aircraft, but that the data links from the aircraft have the same data that would be on the flight data recorders, so they should indicate if it was something mechanical. The data links are automatically recorded.

The are images from flightradar24 that show where the aircraft stopped transmitting, and they were shown on the news about 30 minutes ago; I don't know if these images are available on the flightradar24 website.

#267943 - 03/08/14 01:54 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ian
I am surprised that a commercial flight could 'disappear' for so long. I was under the impression that they were monitored very closely and that a rescue would be put in place within minutes.

That's going to depend on where the flight is. Over the continental United States, I do not believe that there's any airspace where a commercial flight is not both monitored by radar and in contact with air traffic control. Over open ocean is a different story, with large stretches where a pilot has no contact with anyone other than possibly other air traffic.

#267944 - 03/08/14 02:05 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
VIETNAM SPOTS OIL SLICKS IN HUNT FOR MISSING JET.
Quote:
"...Thanh said Malaysian, Singaporean and Vietnamese search officials were coordinating operations in an 11,200-square-kilometer (4,324-square-mile) area where the plane was last known to be. He said Vietnamese fishermen in the area were asked to report any suspected sign of the missing plane. ..."

#267945 - 03/08/14 02:16 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Commercial airliners are usually not tracked by radar, instead an on-board transponder indicates altitude, attitude, heading, speed and the plane's ID code. At a certain altitude, depending on the distance from the nearest airport, transponder signals will be lost. Hence the rather large search area.

#267946 - 03/08/14 02:31 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Big sea - small plane. At night, as well.

Locally we experienced a similar incident more than ten years ago when an Alaska Airlines flight plunged into the sea about three miles off Anacapa Island. This happened about 4:30 in the afternoon, and was witnessed by people on Anacapa Island and by boats in the vicinity, hence a much faster response.

#267952 - 03/08/14 05:00 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

And to think that I was going to get in a tiny bush plane. I wish them the best, but their odds of survival are exceedingly slim.

Just saw this

http://www.fieldline.com/Products/alpha-ops-internal-frame-pack/44

Edited by Deathwind (03/08/14 05:31 PM)

#267974 - 03/09/14 01:52 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
The report that two of the passengers listed on the flight appear to be using European passports reported stolen in Thailand. Does raise the possibility of terrorism as a possible cause.

#267975 - 03/09/14 02:19 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

True, it does raise a suspicion. The problem is that terrorists want to make a point with their terror: after this many hours, no terrorist group has claimed responsibility, even if it is just an opportunistic claim (i.e. they claim credit, but didn't actually do anything).

We need more facts:

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before
one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit
theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sherlock Holmes in “A Scandal in Bohemia”, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#267978 - 03/09/14 07:23 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
In this case no news is definitely not good new, I'm afraid. Starting to look like the plane crashed into the sea off Viet Nam. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will turn up but...

#267981 - 03/09/14 04:02 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Now I'm reading that there is radar data that seems to show the plane was turning back, although no one is elaborating on whether the plane finished executing the turn. In any case, it seems highly irregular for a commercial flight to do that without any radio contact.

Edited by Arney (03/09/14 05:01 PM)

#267982 - 03/09/14 06:33 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: bws48

News reports are that the data links from the plane and radar give a good location where the plane went down. Radar tracked "a plane" (presumably the plane in question) "descending" at that location.

If the engines are still running the search footprint has to encompass the fuel range. If the engines aren't running the range may still be 50+ miles.

As for pilot radio contact: remember that Air France flight 447 crashed without the pilots ever making a radio call despite plenty of time & ability to do so.

One problem here is that nobody knows who has jurisdiction until the plane is found. So nobody is releasing information on things like autonomous radio calls by the maintenance system. Once there's someone in charge evidence will be collected & disseminated in a more orderly manner.

I'm not ready to make too much of the stolen passport issue yet. How common it is in that part of the world? Traveling on false paperwork offends TSA sensibilities but that may have no bearing on "local" flights in that part of the world, especially if minorities are able to upgrade their treatment by carrying a first-world passport.

#267984 - 03/09/14 09:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Very recent reports on BBC news suggest that Vietnamese planes have sighted wreckage that appears to be from the missing aircraft.
It is however dark at present and confirmation or more detail is not expected until local daylight.

Very sad.

#267987 - 03/10/14 09:12 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: adam2]
adam2 Offline
Addict

More details
BBC NEWS

Wreckage has been sighted, but NOT confirmed to be from the missing plane.
Terrorism is begining to look likely IMHO. Even the most sudden mechanical failure or bird strike or extreme weather, generally allows time for a plane to glide for some minutes at least and transmit a distress signal.
Even if the plane is subsequently lost with all on board, there would still be a record of the distress call, and some idea of the crash site.

Very sudden disaster without time for a Mayday call does perhaps suggest a bomb, shoot out, or a highjacking by someone not competant to fly the plane.

I am afraid that I now see no hope for those on board. Historicly there have been cases of survivors of air crashes being discovered long afterwards in remote places, but with modern locating beacons etc this seems unlikely in the modern world.

#267988 - 03/10/14 02:48 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

At cruise altitude if there is a rapid decompression of the cockpit the flight crew would have less than ten seconds of useful consciousness.

A 777 is a large aircraft. A rapid whole-aircraft decompression is suggestive of a fairly large hole which is suggestive of explosives. I dearly hope I am wrong.

#267990 - 03/10/14 03:17 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: adam2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: adam2
Even the most sudden mechanical failure or bird strike or extreme weather, generally allows time for a plane to glide for some minutes at least and transmit a distress signal.

I keep relating to the local experience with the Alaska Air flight some years ago. The plane suddenly plunged like a rock from 17,000 feet. Failure was due to a seizure of the elevator mechanism. First notification came from eye witnesses.

I agree that terrorism can't be ruled out, but it is way too soon to start proclaiming definitive statements. Good investigation unfortunately takes time.

#267992 - 03/10/14 05:22 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Hanscom]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Hanscom
At cruise altitude if there is a rapid decompression of the cockpit the flight crew would have less than ten seconds of useful consciousness.

Hanscom,

A pilot experiencing explosive decompression at altitudes around 35,000 feet would have from 30 seconds to several minutes of useful conciousness - and it takes only a few seconds to have an oxygen mask on. It is more likely that they were occupied and did not think to communicate (the old pilots addage is aviate, navigate, communicate - in that order). If they were busy flying the aircraft, they might not have thought to radio in.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267994 - 03/10/14 08:25 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
The oil slick wasn't from the plane, it was ship fuel, not jet kerosene

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/10/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-knowns-unknowns/index.html?hpt=bosread

I know I'm speculating here, but most ATC radars rely on transponders rather then skin paints to track the aircraft. The 777 has two sets of transponder antennas and communication antennas.

http://books.google.com/books?id=HgGJtUc...nna&f=false

It seems unlikely that both sets were damaged simultaneously in anything but a catastrophic failure, and more likely that the transponder, radio, etc were turned off or disabled.

If you look at the pictures from Pan Am 103 (lockerbie) which broke up at 31,000 feet and TWA 800, which broke up at 16,000 feet; note the large pieces and significant floating debris. The fact that they have not found debris after 3 days of searching indicates it probably did not break up in flight.

Of course, I'll probably be proved wrong when they find the thing.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#268001 - 03/11/14 05:49 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This situation is an eye-opener about the limits of technology in use. There is technology available to track planes via GPS, but it's not in widespread use. So, such technology doesn't benefit me as a practical matter.

Can someone here answer these questions: Would a cell phone's GPS chip be operable inside an airplane during flight? Also, would the GPS chip interfere with the airplane's communications? I'm just curious from a technological standpoint.

I'm still in shock trying to figure out what's going on in this case. In some travels, it's probably best not to know too much. Otherwise, I would just stay home as I become more risk-averse.

#268002 - 03/11/14 06:50 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

GPS chips are receivers only, they wouldn't interfere with the aircraft's avionics. I don't know how well they would work inside of an airliner, but experiments with cell phones seem to indicate that reception is very good.

Cell phones are tracked by GPS because the GPS chip inside the cell phone relays its its position to the cell network through the cell's signal. A hundred miles off of the coast I doubt there's cell network coverage.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#268006 - 03/11/14 11:57 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'm still in shock trying to figure out what's going on in this case. In some travels, it's probably best not to know too much. Otherwise, I would just stay home as I become more risk-averse.

This incident notwithstanding, I believe it remains true that the safest way of getting from A to B remains commercial air. You will be more at risk driving to the airport.

#268008 - 03/11/14 01:09 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ireckon

Can someone here answer these questions: Would a cell phone's GPS chip be operable inside an airplane during flight? Also, would the GPS chip interfere with the airplane's communications? I'm just curious from a technological standpoint.

A cellphone is a radio receiver-transmitter.

An airplane fuselage is a metal can with a few windows in it.

Putting a cellphone in a metal can means it won't work with anything outside very well.

Some signals can sometimes be gained by holding the receiver-transmitter against a window but it's still a very restricted line of sight for the radio.

This is why the airplanes comm system has externally mounted antennas for all radios.

#268010 - 03/11/14 01:53 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

This case should cause a push to update tracking systems on airplanes to include GPS. It shouldn't be difficult or expensive to put a GPS receiver outside the cage of the plane. The plane could receive GPS coordinates and transmit its position via radio every second or whatever is appropriate. Or are planes already equipped with GPS receivers such that the hardware is basically already there?

#268011 - 03/11/14 02:05 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

According to this article, there is basically no good reason the tech is not up and running:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/17815...g?fullsite=true

#268015 - 03/11/14 03:03 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

At this point it seems the best probability of finding the B-777 is with acoustic sensors lookng for the flight data recorder (it pings).

If they don't dind it then maybe a UFO plucked it out of the sky and transported it to the future to repopulate the world after... sorry, too much SciFi.

Really strange that in this day and age they have such poor tracking on a commercial aircraft.

...or, whomever was in control of the aircraft deliberately made it lost.
Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source

#268016 - 03/11/14 04:16 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

There are several reports (unconfirmed) that passengers cellphone are showing up as "active" on a Chinese on-line messaging service, and that relatives have dialed the numbers of people on board and gotten "ring sounds" but no answer.

I don't know what to make of this, but assuming it is true, could this just be an artifact of the network's programming, or would the "ringing" sound reported actually mean the phone was on-line?

#268018 - 03/11/14 06:55 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I've played with a Garmin e-Trex in the cabin of an airliner. It worked, but it was spotty. Took a long time to lock on initially, then would lose the lock fairly frequently.

#268024 - 03/12/14 12:43 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

If the service is paid up, there will be a ringing sound on the line. It doesn't matter if the receiving phone is online or not. I don't know how the messaging service determines if a phone is active.

If that was the plane detected over the Straight of Malacca, it would have been heading WSW. The only thing reachable near that route is Sri Lanka. The next landmass is North Africa, roughly a 1000 Km longer distance from point last seen then to Bejing. This is shaping up to be a Tom Clancy novel.

#268025 - 03/12/14 12:52 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Addict

Beyond-the-horizon radar imaging is hard. And civilian aviation rarely has any need for it.

Moreover, such a radar would be a military radar. Were Malaysia to use one on this route it would not be long before the Vietnamese military jammed it.

A more realistic approach would be to have "transponders" that periodically sent the plane's position to satellites, similar to the way a GPS-equipped PLB sends location to satellites. There are problems of cost and where to find the radio spectrum (hint: anyone with good spectrum for satellites will not surrender it easily). Couple that with the need for international agreement ... I suspect a lot of countries are willing to accept a mystery disappearance every 50 years rather than spend the money.

This is a case where absence-of-evidence eventually becomes evidence-of-absence: the plane probably didn't crash into the sea where they're looking. The worst case for SAR is if the engines kept running after whatever inhibited the transponder, and the pilots were able to maintain powered flight.

#268036 - 03/12/14 08:58 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Either the plane:
Disintegrated abruptly in flight as a catastrophic cabin systems failure( possible).
Was destroyed either as an act of terrorism or by some other man made or natural event. Could have been bb'd by a meteorite for all we know.
Or suffered a gradual depressurisation accident that incapacited everyone befor anyone could react.

Either way the chance of survivors is frankly non existent, absenting an act of God.

#268037 - 03/12/14 10:44 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

...Or the plane made a water landing due to engine failure, stayed in tact, took on water, and sunk leaving no floating traces.

#268038 - 03/12/14 10:56 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Every seat cushion is a flotation device.

If the aircraft stayed intact and floating, the ELT should have started transmitting.

I do think the search is in the wrong area.

It seems that with this B-777 everything went wrong and the probability of that is very remote so my suspicion is that whatever happened was planned and deliberate.

- No Mayday call,
- Transponders turned OFF,
- Malaysian military tracking the aircraft to the Malacca Straits,
- No debris field reported anywhere,

One theory I heard today was that the aircraft continued and crashed in the Vietnamese jungle. Possible but then there's that ELT thingy.

Don't know, but I suspect foul play.

FWIW, $.02

#268039 - 03/12/14 11:27 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I'm with you Russ, but that WSW turn after the transponder was turned off has me baffled. Of course, we're assuming the information we are getting out of Malaysia is accurate. As time goes on, we will likely find out that much of this information was inaccurate.

#268040 - 03/12/14 11:31 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Floating seat cushions are only useful if the plane doors open. It's another thing that had to go wrongly...

#268041 - 03/13/14 07:06 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
adam2 Offline
Addict

If the plane landed on the water intact, then I would expect that at least some passengers would have escaped. Even if they subsequntly perished, life preservers, seat cushions, rafts or bodies should been located by now.
If the plane hit the water at speed and broke up, then survival is unlikely, but I would expect that the break up would release floating debris.

#268042 - 03/13/14 03:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: adam2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Recent reports indicate the Rolls Royce engines were reporting their status for four hours after the B-777 fell off the radar.
Wall Street Journal article

#268043 - 03/13/14 04:00 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

IIRC, and its been a while, is that RADAR isn't exactly hi-def, you simply see something vague which is why aircraft have transponders that reply with their ID. So if someone turns off that transponder the RADAR operators can't tell if its a plane or flock of birds or dense cloud so turning off the transponder you can sort of hide amongst all the noise (which is in part why they ground aircraft during situations like 9/11 for example).

Seems like they should make one transponder only accessible externally so they can't be turned off as I'm noticing that to be somewhat of a repeated theme in various hijackings and such.

#268044 - 03/13/14 04:34 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Simply add a GPS field to the telemetry already being sent to Rolls Royce (or GE, depending on who made the engine). The signal is already being sent and all it needs is a GPS chip and a software change to allow for GPS lat/long/velocity (speed and vector) to be sent by both engines. For each pair of engines the GPS inputs should match and since they are both independent of the flight-station and each other... Should make for an easy fix which would be difficult to disrupt without direct access to the engines.

#268045 - 03/13/14 05:21 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I feel terrible for family's of these people... In short, it seems like nobody really seems to know what is happening, and in a vacuum of information, incorrect information is quickly accepted as fact.

I still find it a little amazing that in the "surveillance" world we seem to live in today, when the governments of the world know who we email, our friends on Facebook, and who we talk to on the phone that we can still manage to lose something the size of a 777.

I remember a few years back, a famous golfer was in a private jet that apparently suffered depressurization. They actually tracked the plane across the united states, sending sever F-16's up to inspect it, finding the windows iced over and no life inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_South_Dakota_Learjet_crash

I am really wondering if this isn't the exact same situation. The only difference here is that the transponders stopped transmitting, which is strange. I wonder if their batteries are as impacted by extreme cold like any other battery? If that plane was flying @ 35,000 feet, the outside temperature would be -55C.

Hope the find it, they will eventually... at least it will bring closure to the families.

#268047 - 03/13/14 06:51 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Recent reports indicate the Rolls Royce engines were reporting their status for four hours after the B-777 fell off the radar.

Malaysian government said they contacted Boeing and Rolls Royce and said the WSJ report is not accurate. Said the telemetry stopped minutes after they lost contact with the plane.

#268048 - 03/13/14 06:59 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

FAA regulations for transport class aircraft. Have fun perusing them.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID...r25_main_02.tpl

The WSJ article has since been debunked.

In regards to the failure theories, the two most probably theories I've heard, human caused notwithstanding, are a fast moving cockpit fire and birdstrike.

It's not the first time that a plane has gone radome to beak at high altitude. The windshield is only required to rated for a 4 lb plucker, and birds like the bar headed goose or a variety of vultures found at high altitudes typically weigh more then that. Does anybody know how long somebody would remain functional with a sizable hole in the windshield at cruise conditions (510 kts, 35,000 ft alt, -55C temp)?

There was one famous incident where a White Pelican hit an Bombardier CRJ hard enough to knock some of the avionics out of the instrument panel.

I've yet to find an instance of meteorite strike on an aircraft, so I'm going to dismiss that as MUSHy thinking.

EDIT: Windshield failure at 17,300 ft alt.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

Edited by Mark_R (03/13/14 07:06 PM)

#268052 - 03/13/14 07:25 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Mark_R]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Seems unlikely to have a birdstrike shut off the transponder.
But we're having to think of every possibility.

I saw a report of an AD on the 777 describing corrosion around an antenna mounting that might lead to decompression.
Then got to thinking that if the transponder antenna mount were torn away the lack of antenna would look like loss of transponder to the ground stations.

Combine with sloppy flight deck behavior such that no pilot could get to his mask in time then you have the Payne Stewart scenario of a plane flying on autopilot with no live souls on board until it runs out of fuel.

But you'd expect one of the countries along the route to pick up the ghost plane on radar - so this theory has holes in it.

I think the high-probability one is hijacking followed by unauthorized pilot flying toward some target (like the high towers in Kuala Lumpur?) with a 911 type crash in mind.
But since this flight went out over water at night, perhaps they inadvertently descended into the water while still trying to figure out how to aim for their target?

#268053 - 03/13/14 07:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Can any bird fly at 35,000 feet? I will have to google it!

#268054 - 03/13/14 08:08 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: unimogbert]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Seems unlikely to have a birdstrike shut off the transponder.
But we're having to think of every possibility.

I was thinking that the bird carcass richocheting around he cockpit could have damaged the radio stack. But, I'm not familiar enough to say with certainly

I saw a report of an AD on the 777 describing corrosion around an antenna mounting that might lead to decompression.
Then got to thinking that if the transponder antenna mount were torn away the lack of antenna would look like loss of transponder to the ground stations.

Combine with sloppy flight deck behavior such that no pilot could get to his mask in time then you have the Payne Stewart scenario of a plane flying on autopilot with no live souls on board until it runs out of fuel.

But you'd expect one of the countries along the route to pick up the ghost plane on radar - so this theory has holes in it.

That and there are duel upper and lower fuselage antennas. It would require both to be taken out before that the transponder signal was completely lost.

I think the high-probability one is hijacking followed by unauthorized pilot flying toward some target (like the high towers in Kuala Lumpur?) with a 911 type crash in mind.
But since this flight went out over water at night, perhaps they inadvertently descended into the water while still trying to figure out how to aim for their target?

Would a terrorist group claim responsability for a semisuccesfull hijacking? The plane was hijacked, but failed to reach it's target (i.e. flight 94).

That still leaves cockpit fire. There was one previously at Cairo that burned through the fuselage and resulted in an FAA Airworthiness Directive (2011-NM-279-AD). I don't know if Malaysia adopted it or the corresponding Boeing bulletins.

If there was a cockpit fire, it would explain the sudden left turn as an attempt to get the plane on the ground. The radar track took it close to Hat Yai International Airport in Thailand.

EDIT: Disregard last paragraph. Vietnam aiports were closer.

Edited by Mark_R (03/13/14 08:30 PM)

#268055 - 03/13/14 08:33 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: RNewcomb]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I still find it a little amazing that in the "surveillance" world we seem to live in today, when the governments of the world know who we email, our friends on Facebook, and who we talk to on the phone that we can still manage to lose something the size of a 777.

Perhaps we shouldn't be so surprised that we can't find it. Slate has an interesting article How to Disappear a Jetliner which talks about how planes are tracked:
Quote:
The shock generated by the Boeing 777 mystery is largely a product of how much we’ve come to take for granted the modern superabundance of information. ..... If you log on to a flight-tracking website, you can punch in the flight number of any commercial aircraft and see its current location and direction. Seems pretty foolproof.
----------------snip-----------
Centers track each flight in a variety of ways. The first is with good old-fashioned radio calls. Controllers call up pilots to give them instructions, inquire about their intentions, and relay information. The second source of information is radar, of which there are two kinds. Primary radar tells operators where a plane is located. ......secondary radar, which pings an electronic device called a transponder inside each aircraft, which then transmits its altitude. Controllers will then be able to see on their screen the number of each flight, its location, and its altitude, derived from secondary radar.
---------------snip--------------
Together, these last two systems provide a robust and interlinking network, but they share the same limitation: They’re limited in range to somewhere between 100 to 200 miles from the nearest ground station, depending on atmospheric conditions. “In general, once you go far enough out over the water, if you don’t have a satellite link, there’s no way to talk to the ground,” says Rob Thomas,....

In such cases, the flight remains in the system, and controllers continue to see its symbol moving across their screens, based on the information obtained from the flight plan and from the last actual contact between controllers and the plane. .... They’re out of contact, and their status within the system is based on assumption until they can actually get back in contact and confirm that everything’s A-OK.

A footnote to the article mentions that they also have voice comms via shortwave radio which has much longer range, but doesn't always work. And if for some reason the cockpit crew is unable to talk then shortwave also doesn't help.

Regarding the search itself, WaPo has an intersting graphic illustrating just how challenging a problem this search is.

#268056 - 03/13/14 08:34 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

As no one else is saying what some of us are thinking -

Scenario A - Hijack by external elements, plane is forced to fly to some remote spot and lands; or crashes at sea, straight in.

Scenario B - Hijack with pilot's help. Lands some remote place. Passenger's fate unknown, plane to be used at a later time for a terroristic mission.

Just thinking out loud.

#268057 - 03/13/14 08:42 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I would like to see the Vietnamese tracking on the aircraft... 40years ago they had arguably the best air defense system in the world...an obsolete Tall King radar should still track close to 300 nautical miles

Edited by LesSnyder (03/13/14 08:43 PM)

#268058 - 03/13/14 09:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Eugene]
Addict

Originally Posted By: Eugene
IIRC, and its been a while, is that RADAR isn't exactly hi-def, you simply see something vague which is why aircraft have transponders that reply with their ID. So if someone turns off that transponder the RADAR operators can't tell if its a plane or flock of birds or dense cloud0

Exactly. Lots of uncomfortable neighbors in that part of the world and there's a good chance they were on one or more country's military radars. But what showed up? Those systems are probably intended for smaller objects at a much lower altitude, and they may be aimed the wrong way. The radar manufacturer will be glad to help analyze "for a small fee". Couple all that with the fact that the military radars and their abilities and deficiencies are highly secret and that is a recovery and not a rescue operation and nobody is likely to talk much.

Quote:

Seems like they should make one transponder only accessible externally so they can't be turned off as I'm noticing that to be somewhat of a repeated theme in various hijackings and such.

In the USA we live in a remarkably safe part of the world. There are many parts of the world where it might not seem such a good idea to guarantee transponder broadcast.

There is so little data that virtually none of the theories are currently falsifiable. They generally have as many facts behind that them as "alien abduction".

#268065 - 03/14/14 05:47 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Mark_R]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
The WSJ article has since been debunked.

The plot thickens. Although the Malaysian government still officially denies it, it seems that signals from the plane WERE being received long after it disappeared from radar screens. Confident enough that the US government is repositioning Navy ships in the Indian Ocean.

The WSJ article initially mentioned signals sent by the Rolls Royce engines, but apparently that was incorrect. Instead, the onboard ACARS system continued to ping a satellite for four to five hours although ACARS had apparently been turned off, too. The pinging is an automatic function that occurs even when the system is turned off and more detailed signals are no longer being relayed to the satellite.

Wow, what is going on here?

#268066 - 03/14/14 06:18 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Mark_R]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.

I've yet to find an instance of meteorite strike on an aircraft, so I'm going to dismiss that as MUSHy thinking [/quote]

They poo-pooped meteor strikes until that one in Russia last year. It is improbable but not impossible.

#268068 - 03/14/14 08:11 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
They poo-pooped meteor strikes until that one in Russia last year. It is improbable but not impossible.

This aircraft disappearance is looking to become a bigger mystery than the aircraft which struck the world trade centre or the Pentagon on the 11th September 2001, the shoot down of TWA 800 or even the Lockerbie Pan Am Flight and the hunt for its missing nuclear payload or even the air crash of Payne Stewart after his Golfing visit to Cuba just after Hurricane Irene.

As for the 3 day late Malaysian Supposed RADAR contact of an aircraft without an active commercial airliner Transponder, overflying one of the worlds most important shipping routes, that wasn't investigated at the time, I found a little hard to believe considering the Su30s and F-18s that the Air force has available for an intercept, especially shortly after this would have been after the disappearance/loss of contact of one of the countries commercial airliners.

Someone isn't telling what they know.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/14/14 08:12 AM)

#268069 - 03/14/14 01:08 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
[quote]As for the 3 day late Malaysian Supposed RADAR contact of an aircraft without an active commercial airliner Transponder, overflying one of the worlds most important shipping routes, that wasn't investigated at the time, I found a little hard to believe considering the Su30s and F-18s that the Air force has available for an intercept, especially shortly after this would have been after the disappearance/loss of contact of one of the countries commercial airliners.

Someone isn't telling what they know.

i seem to have missed something. would you please explain the above paragraph or cite a source. thanks.

#268070 - 03/14/14 02:12 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JBMat]
RNewcomb Offline

Originally Posted By: JBMat
As no one else is saying what some of us are thinking -

Scenario A - Hijack by external elements, plane is forced to fly to some remote spot and lands; or crashes at sea, straight in.

Scenario B - Hijack with pilot's help. Lands some remote place. Passenger's fate unknown, plane to be used at a later time for a terroristic mission.

Just thinking out loud.

From what I have read this morning, they are thinking it may have made some turns after the transponders were turned off. Someone was in control.

I think your right on, it's Scenario A, Or B, or a combination of both. I think they had Pilot's help, I think this may turn into a big hijacking/kidnapping scheme for asylum... and I suspect the planes somewhere in the indian ocean as Indian authorities say no plane could have approached the islands identified w/o being seen on radar and not being heard/seen.

This is definitely unprecedented. I hope, pray, these people are alive and ok. That would be an incredible story to tell.

#268071 - 03/14/14 02:23 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

This aircraft disappearance is looking to become a bigger mystery than the aircraft which struck the world trade centre or the Pentagon on the 11th September 2001, the shoot down of TWA 800 or even the Lockerbie Pan Am Flight and the hunt for its missing nuclear payload or even the air crash of Payne Stewart after his Golfing visit to Cuba just after Hurricane Irene.

To say nothing of the grandaddy (grandmother?)of them all -Amelia Earhart.

One has to love the smell of runaway speculation in the morning....

#268074 - 03/14/14 02:52 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... To say nothing of the grandaddy (grandmother?)of them all -Amelia Earhart.

Taking all that we think we know, Charles Hugh Smith who blogs on oftwominds.com lays out his analysis in What Happened to Flight 370? An Analysis of What Is Known . One key thought is that:
Quote:
...Either that, or some key data that has been released as fact is actually false....
You don't know what you don't know. People who do know deliberately hold back information all the time because of security or because they are embarrassed or for a number of other reasons -- basically they don't want us to know or they don't want to confirm what we think we know. We can't take everything at face value.

#268078 - 03/14/14 03:50 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Malaysian Officials are now denying that the Rolls Royce Data Centre did not receive the engine management data 4 to 5 hours after the last known position of the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPIYBgZNrsg

It would be interesting to see this non existent data which will be measuring engine inlet time stamped temperatures and pressures (hence altitude profile etc) or even knowing the time when Rolls Royce contacted Malaysian Airlines of inform them that there Jets engines have suddenly failed or that there was loss of the engine performance data stream communications.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/14/14 03:55 PM)

#268080 - 03/14/14 04:12 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... To say nothing of the grandaddy (grandmother?)of them all -Amelia Earhart.

Taking all that we think we know, Charles Hugh Smith who blogs on oftwominds.com lays out his analysis in What Happened to Flight 370? An Analysis of What Is Known . One key thought is that:
Quote:
...Either that, or some key data that has been released as fact is actually false....
You don't know what you don't know. People who do know deliberately hold back information all the time because of security or because they are embarrassed or for a number of other reasons -- basically they don't want us to know or they don't want to confirm what we think we know. We can't take everything at face value.

You also don't want to release information until you have confirmed it is accurate. You don't want to cause panic, wild speculation, knee-jerk reactions, etc.

Edited by Eugene (03/14/14 04:12 PM)

#268085 - 03/14/14 05:21 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Eugene]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

You don't want to cause panic, wild speculation, knee-jerk reactions, etc.

You mean like what we've been doing? whistle

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

But you have to admit, the story gets "curious-er and curious-er" as more details are revealed. I vote that the plane was diverted to some little island in the Indian Ocean, and some or all of the passengers and crews are "re-educated" and then they are miraculously found a couple weeks from now adrift in the plane's lifeboats. Think Manchurian Candidate.

#268086 - 03/14/14 05:31 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Originally Posted By: Arney
But you have to admit, the story gets "curious-er and curious-er" as more details are revealed. I vote that the plane was diverted to some little island in the Indian Ocean, and some or all of the passengers and crews are "re-educated" and then they are miraculously found a couple weeks from now adrift in the plane's lifeboats. Think Manchurian Candidate.

i like your theory. but i'm thinking it's straight out of james bond. ernst blofeld, dr no.....

the question not yet asked is: who or what was on that plane that someone wanted to make disappear?

#268088 - 03/14/14 05:45 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Satellite Firm Says Its Data From Jet Could Offer Location

Quote:
As the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet expanded into the daunting vastness of the Indian Ocean, a satellite communications company confirmed on Friday that it had recorded electronic “keep alive” ping signals from the plane after it disappeared, and said those signals could be analyzed to help estimate its location.

The information from the company, Inmarsat, could prove to be the first big break in helping narrow the frustrating search for the plane with 239 people aboard that mysteriously disappeared from radar screens a week ago, now hunted by a multinational array of ships and planes that have fanned out for thousands of square miles.

Inmarsat, a Britain-based satellite communications provider of systems to ships and airplanes, had equipment aboard the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 jetliner, said David Coiley, the vice president of the company in charge of the aviation business. The equipment automatically communicates with satellites, much as a mobile phone would automatically connect to a network after passing through a mountain tunnel, he said.

It is beginning to sound like while Malaysia Airlines may not have subscribed to the engine monitoring service, the equipment to provide that service was installed and automatically trying to contact a satellite.

#268089 - 03/14/14 06:03 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

More (much more) information on the many systems airliners communicate information: Today's Malaysia Airlines 370 News: What It Means That the Plane Apparently Kept Flying

James Fallows explains the various systems, and which ones can be disabled from the cockpit, and which ones can't. Fallows is a well known writer who has spent much time living in Asia. He is also an experienced private pilot, and occaisionaly writes on aviation topics.

Quote:
This latest information obviously works against possibilities that the plane vanished from radar coverage because it blew up -- via bomb, some structural failure, missile strike, meteorite, what have you. The fact that the plane kept flying, with its transponders turned off, also works against any "pilot hypoxia" assumptions. (The idea that the pilots somehow both lost their oxygen supply and passed out, as happened in different circumstances 15 years ago in the Payne Stewart crash and in a crash in Greece in 2005.) If two pilots were simultaneously nodding off at the controls, there is no reason why their last conscious act would be to disable the transponders -- rather than radioing for help, descending into thicker air, reaching for the emergency oxygen bottles, etc. Possibilities involving deliberate destruction -- by the flight crew on its own, or by attackers who got control of the plane -- thus become more likely.

#268091 - 03/14/14 06:54 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bsmith]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bsmith
. . . i'm thinking it's straight out of james bond. ernst blofeld, dr no.....

More like "Thunderball." Slip a double onto a Vulcan with 2 nukes on board, kill the crew, fake a crash, fly to the Bahamas, ditch, unload the nukes. Next stop, Miami.

Except for Bond, James Bond. . . cool

#268092 - 03/14/14 07:10 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

In all fairness, I do feel for the families and friends who are still distraught and grieving, and here we are saying flippant stuff like this. Normally I am sensitive to that, but this is just a WEIRD unfolding story.

#268093 - 03/14/14 08:10 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

In all fairness, I do feel for the families and friends who are still distraught and grieving, and here we are saying flippant stuff like this. Normally I am sensitive to that, but this is just a WEIRD unfolding story.

Sorry if my post seemed inappropriate. But even respected press organizations are thinking this way, and its getting weirder.

A news story quotes Reuters as listing 5 possibilities of what is going on, number 5 of which is:

“5. There may be a rescue under way. If the flight was hijacked, and landed, and the passengers may be alive, and there is some idea about where the Boeing 777 might be, then military authorities might not want to let the hijackers know how closely they are being tracked.”

At least they also admit that it is "not only improbable, but wildly conspiratorial" but then point out "except that it has happened before, at Entebbe. . ."

See: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/...ia-Airlines-370

#268094 - 03/14/14 08:46 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
At this point I would consider this as a Nat. Security matter.
IMHO the plane is on the ground somewhere intact until it can be proven it
crashed. If it crashed at sea what are the odds it sank in one piece ie no debris.
If it was landed at a remote spot it has been hidden by now.
What type of tech would be required to see a covered or hidden aircraft?
Would I.R. work, Sat. based Radar?
Considering our history with Terrorism and Aircraft IMO this needs to be
classed as a Severe National Security Threat !
What is the down side for anyone IF the USA treats it as a threat?
I don't really see any, the plane gets found, good or bad the families get closure, the threat is rendered harmless.
I do not see any downside for the Malay govt. either, they have already lost "Face", unless perhaps they are complicit in the "Loss".

#268095 - 03/14/14 09:34 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I worked the Boeing 727 crash in Escambia Bay during May 1978. This was the "perfect" water landing and there was lots of debris in the form of suitcase pieces and clothing. The primary damage was to the belly of the fuselage where it first came in contact with the water at 100+ knots. There were pieces of the underside that floated and were recovered as well.

If you wish to research this crash, it was National Airlines Flight 193, the aircraft's name was "Donna". The aircraft was raised and taken via barge to the Pensacola Navel Airsta for sufficient repairs to fly out.

There were 3 dead. 1 from heart failure after getting into the water w/life jacket donned and 2 from drowning after getting into the water w/I life jackets.

#268096 - 03/14/14 09:52 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Nah, it was auto pinging of equipment.

Edited by frediver (03/14/14 09:59 PM)

#268097 - 03/14/14 09:59 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: frediver
What is the down side for anyone IF the USA treats it as a threat?

It probably already has. The U.S. Navy is not cruising the area for fun.

#268098 - 03/14/14 11:20 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
Addict

Originally Posted By: frediver
At this point I would consider this as a Nat. Security matter.

The problem of stolen large commercial passenger jets is not new. It's happened in Africa before (as in, one day a 727 that was parked out-of-the-way somewhere isn't there when airport workers go looking for it).

The major problem with the hijacked-for-future-nefarious purposes is: now what? There aren't too many places an unexpected 777 can land and hide unnoticed, especially with a major search for a 777 underway.

The antagonist in movies is always an Evil Genius, but it real life they're often Evil Morons. Anyone trying to steal a 777 probably falls in the latter group.

#268099 - 03/14/14 11:41 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

CNN is going absolutely berserk with trumped-up theories with hardly any facts. I'm getting irritated because some facts from two days ago were suddenly not facts yesterday, but now they're facts again today. I feel sorry for the families involved.

#268100 - 03/15/14 10:46 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Carpal Tunnel

I would be checking some of the larger hangers at Kabul Airport for the missing Malaysian airliner.

2700 miles would be approx 5 hours flight time.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/15/14 11:46 AM)

#268101 - 03/15/14 12:23 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

I would be checking some of the larger hangers at Kabul Airport for the missing Malaysian airliner.
2700 miles would be approx 5 hours flight time.

Just a guess here, but the course shown would have taken it across and near some sensitive border areas of India, e.g. China and Pakistan. I would think these areas would be well covered by Indian Air Defense radars, and a big plane like a 777 would gain some attention.

But stranger things have happened.

#268102 - 03/15/14 01:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Just a guess here, but the course shown would have taken it across and near some sensitive border areas of India, e.g. China and Pakistan. I would think these areas would be well covered by Indian Air Defense radars, and a big plane like a 777 would gain some attention.

Yes, that is a mystery just as with the Royal Malaysian Air force didn't scramble a fighter jet to confirm the bogie's identity on its military prime RADAR as it passed into the Malacca Straits. A fighter like the SU30 is able to visually confirm by IR an aircraft type the size of a 777 from 60-100 miles away.

Even allies (USA and UK) have threatened to shoot down each others unidentified aircraft in the Persian Gulf. The UK Navy was detecting B2 Stealth aircraft from 150+ miles away and the USAF refused to confirm the aircraft identity until the UK RN threatened to shoot it down with Sea Dart missile.

This information released by the Malaysian authorities today should have been established within the first 24hrs. There still appears to be some deliberate obfuscation going on here.

#268103 - 03/15/14 02:45 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Peeps in charge of this investigation think they know a lot but they still aren't 100% sure. Obfuscation began when Flight 370 shut down its transponders/comms and turned West. Until the Black Boxes are located on the sea floor by their acoustic pinging the investigators won't know for sure. Speculation only takes you so far and then you need to sit back and rethink -- what is real? They're only part-way through the "what" and "where", and much less than that on the "who" and "why". I think they know "when".

#268104 - 03/15/14 03:00 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Just suppose, wild speculation ensues...

Referring to AFLM's map image, IF (really big if) the person at the controls had an ICAO flight plan on file from say Perth to Kabul as a ferinstance, and it was activated when Flt 370 went dark, the "person at the controls" may have received clearance and a new transponder code, and then continued the flight under that new flight plan. By the time the peeps in Malaysia figured out what was happening with Flt 370, the B-777 could have been on the ground at some remote field.

I wonder if the folks in charge of this investigation have checked out every aircraft associated with a flight plan passing through that part of the world to ensure it originated and landed as reported.

Lots of speculation goes quite well with a good mystery. I have this gut feeling that tells me we haven't seen the last of that aircraft.

#268106 - 03/15/14 03:58 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

More and more curious.

Flight MAS6 at 18.51 UTC on 8th March.

The Malaysian Flight 370 departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March)
A similar Malaysian Airlines aircraft type (Flight MAS6) on a similar track 2 hrs later. Both aircraft would have approximately been in the same area at the same time! Even the bearing was both approx 315 to 325 degrees.

The Kaula Lumpur - Frankurt flight (Flight MAS6) would take it over Kabul region.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/15/14 04:01 PM)

#268107 - 03/15/14 04:19 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

hmmm, I see the speculation isn't as wild as I thought.

#268108 - 03/15/14 04:56 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Some additional data. WNYC, using publicly available data, and and assuming a 2200 NM range, found 634 airstrips 5000 feet long available. Interactive map at:
http://project.wnyc.org/runways/?utm_con...campaign=buffer

A lot more than I would have guessed, and some in pretty out of the way places. . .

#268112 - 03/15/14 06:33 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

This Map Outlines the Last Known Position of the Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight

Quote:
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said Saturday that the plane bound for China was still flying at 8:11 AM, about seven hours after it took off from Kuala Lumpur and about half an hour after it was expected to land in Beijing. This last data point, from a satellite trying to communicate with the plane, indicates that the 777 was still in the air when it might have been running dangerously low on fuel, raising the possibility that a possible hijacking might have ended with a crash.

The precise location of the flight at 8:11 AM is still a mystery. But officials provided a map (above) that shows the plane's possible location along one of two red semi-circles, based on a "ping" from a satellite orbiting 35,800 kilometers above the Indian Ocean. As you can see, this final data point indicates two possible flight paths: one northwest stretching toward Kazakhstan and another southwest into the Indian Ocean.

The northern flight path is above land, which would raise the odds that officials find the plane or its remnants. But The New York Times points out that it's unlikely that air-defense networks in India, Pakistan, or Afghanistan failed to pick up on a rogue 777. This makes the southern path more likely.

Malaysia failing to scamble jets to intercept an unknown (at that time) bogey might be explained by shear incompetence. The failure of both India and Pakistan (who are in a perpetual state of semi-war) to detect and intercept an unknown bogey is somewhat harder to believe.

My bet is that it is somehwere on the bottom of the sea along the southern arc.

#268115 - 03/15/14 08:53 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm betting a Navy CT on Diego Garcia knows the answer smile

#268116 - 03/15/14 08:59 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: LesSnyder]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I'm betting a Navy CT on Diego Garcia knows the answer smile

Then, he needs to give up the details. Or has this mission become wartime operation?

#268118 - 03/15/14 09:20 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
This Map Outlines the Last Known Position of the Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight

No doubt there is also a INMARSAT ping time radius line at the last known RADAR position, altitude, time and velocity of the missing airliner (A Vector quality) measured by the Malaysian air force. The RADAR measurements will also have a velocity component (speed and direction) and time stamp. Each INMARSAT ping will reveal a time stamped radius calculation for the next vector intersection. Tracking the aircraft should be possible if there is a starting solution.

There should be an easily calculable track of the missing aircraft. Finding the last vector intersection of the final position radius would indicate the last known position on that last radius. There should be a mathematically sound solution, made even easier if the Rolls Royce Data is available for the engine performance.

Again why this has taken 7 days so far? All the electronic data pertaining to the missing aircraft needs to be released publically, the solution of where the aircraft ended up would be computed within hours.

Again it looks like the Malaysian authorities appear to be stalling for time for some reason, despite the denials.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/15/14 09:45 PM)

#268125 - 03/15/14 10:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

No doubt there is also a INMARSAT ping time radius line at the last known RADAR position, altitude, time and velocity of the missing airliner (A Vector quality) measured by the Malaysian air force.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on if INMARSAT is recieving data on the same frequency. Radios only recieve what they are tuned to recieve.

There should be an easily calculable track of the missing aircraft. Finding the last vector intersection of the final position radius would indicate the last known position on that last radius. There should be a mathematically sound solution, made even easier if the Rolls Royce Data is available for the engine performance.
Easily calculable? I seriously question that. Remember, the equipment that sent and recieved the last ping was never designed for this application. The map shows a nice sharp red line. I rather suspect it should be a very wide fuzzy line. Perhaps hundreds of kilometers wide.

Again why this has taken 7 days so far? All the electronic data pertaining to the missing aircraft needs to be released publically, the solution of where the aircraft ended up would be computed within hours.
It probaby has taken several days because initially the search was focused on the planes planned course from its last known position. No doubt everyone expected it would soon be found, especially after the oil slick was spotted. It no doubt took awhile to realize that the other data was even available, and that it was even possible to use it in this way. Also, that red line(even if it is accurate) only shows where the aircraft could have been at the last ping. Where it ended up could be a good ways away.

Again it looks like the Malaysian authorities appear to be stalling for time for some reason, despite the denials.
I suspect it is rather more likely a result of incompetance, bureaucrtic turf, inertia, and inefficiency in a third world country.

Conspiracy theories are always entertaining. Up thread someone talked of "Evil Geniuses" and "Evil Morons". Applying Occam's Razor I think that simple bungling of a unfamiliar situation is the most likely case.

EDIT:
A link on the satellite pings: Investigators in Jet Search Rely on an Imperfect Tool
James Fallows on conspiricy and hidden landing strips: Malaysia 370 Update: Landing Strips, Cell Phones, and More

Edited by AKSAR (03/15/14 11:04 PM)
Edit Reason: add links

#268127 - 03/15/14 11:27 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I suspect it is rather more likely a result of incompetance, bureaucrtic turf, inertia, and inefficiency in a third world country.

A very good point, and one not limited to the "third world." I once worked with a CWO whose favorite saying was: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

Many, many, years ago I had to take a course in "crisis management." They emphasised the need to have one focal point (call it a "war room") that all information went into, and was the only place information (to the press, etc.) came out of. The reason was that if you did not do this, all sorts of people and information/misinformation would be going out willy-nilly making your management look incompetent (at best). What is even worse is that an incorrect report from one set of investigators could influence another set of investigators to go off in another direction with their own investigation, and lose time chasing a ghost. Control and dissemination of information is critical in the orderly analysis of such events. You do not want everyone relying on each others unconfirmed data.

I kind of feel the good folks in Malaysia are becoming a case study on how not to handle a crisis.

That does not mean that all the "conspiracy" theories are false, or unworthy of investigation (they are and must be eliminated based on facts, not opinion). Just that while you investigate the facts and develop theories based on these facts, you don't go around saying stuff that later turns out to be wrong, and thus jeopardize whatever credibility you had to start with and possibly send your own investigations in a false direction.

#268129 - 03/15/14 11:36 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Addict

Yes, that is a mystery just as with the Royal Malaysian Air force didn't scramble a fighter jet to confirm the bogie's identity on its military prime RADAR as it passed into the Malacca Straits.

The Malaysian Air Force is not to be confused with the Indian or Russian military. Moreover a flight in the direction shown is obviously no threat to Malaysia but would be highly concerning to everyone else along the way.

Quote:

This information released by the Malaysian authorities today should have been established within the first 24hrs. There still appears to be some deliberate obfuscation going on here.

Don't assume too much when military secrets are involved. You can get fired - or worse - for releasing what someone else thinks is too much but never for keeping silent.

The radar trace would not have appeared threatening and would have looked like a flight to Europe or India that wasn't on the schedule - the radar trace may have been merely logged, not reported, with nobody realizing it was interesting until later the next day, by which point it was a recovery and not a rescue.

There's a lot of misdirection by others here too, not just Malaysia. I don't believe for an instant that China burned lifespan moving ten very expensive spysats when lives are no longer at stake. And there are lots of curious statements coming from Washington wherein fairly specific claims are made yet there is silence or confusion as to why that statement was made.

All real world data has error bars - the result is never exact. By the time all error bars are considered INMARSAT ping estimates may point to lines hundreds of miles wide, or wider. It's possible the equipment has never been calibrated for this, meaning they won't know how wide the lines even are without careful and slow testing.

#268131 - 03/15/14 11:44 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Perhaps hundreds of kilometers wide.

I've done some basic calculations regarding ping time resolution regarding the width of the radius line.

A 10 Km difference perpendicular to radius line is around 3-4 microseconds. Assuming the clock resolutions are 1 microseconds based on GPS timing resolution then 1 microsecond would roughly be 3 km wide.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/16/14 12:03 AM)

#268132 - 03/15/14 11:47 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Moreover a flight in the direction shown is obviously no threat to Malaysia but would be highly concerning to everyone else along the way.

Kuala Lumpur has its own bigger Twin Towers. An aircraft losing Transponder and other communications, to then be picked up on Military RADAR changing course radically to get into the Malacca strait with other commercial airline traffic would look to be very threatening.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/15/14 11:52 PM)

#268133 - 03/15/14 11:54 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

ireckon... the Strait of Malacca is much too important a sea lane for us not to have a SIGINT presence.

#268135 - 03/16/14 12:47 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Addict

A 10 Km difference perpendicular to radius line is around 3-4 microseconds.

Why would the INMARSAT system record such precision? It's actually tricky to get sub-millisecond precision accurate ("precision is easy but accuracy is not").

The reason PLB GPS location is imprecise with respect to consumer GPS is because the PLB system doesn't support reporting position with high precision - there aren't that many bits in the message so a PLB just throws away some precision when transmitting.

INMARSAT may have not needed better than 1/10 second precision or worse on such pings.

(What's worst is when the final archival data storage is in a format that allows 10+ digit precision in spite of a "narrowing" effect somewhere along the way. You might see a nice precise-looking number like 12.28393815 without knowing if the was a 1/10 precision bottleneck somewhere buried in the system. Beware strangers bearing precise data!)

The NW path towards India does not head towards Kuala Lumpur. I agree that a flight towards Kuala Lumpur would be interesting if no transponder answered.

#268175 - 03/17/14 12:38 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

There should be an easily calculable track of the missing aircraft. .....
Easily calculable? ...... The map shows a nice sharp red line. I rather suspect it should be a very wide fuzzy line. Perhaps hundreds of kilometers wide.
Well, I've finally found a link from a source who actually has some real expertise in this technology, and what kind of accuracy might be expected:

Understanding "satellite pings"

It is a rather long article, but well worth reading in it's entirety. Regarding the accuracy of the now famous red line on the map, it says:
Quote:
We can see that the search locations are based on exactly these curves at a given distance from the sub-satellite point. However, it is unlikely that the measurements are more accurate than within say 100 miles.
Note that "100 miles" works out to about 160 km, so my wild guess regarding the accuracy wasn't too far off.

The author Tim Farrar is the founder of TMF Associates which "....is a consulting and research firm based in Menlo Park, CA. We focus on business planning, technical analysis, financial and spectrum valuations and expert witness services in the satellite and telecom sectors and have particular expertise in Mobile Satellite Services (MSS), where we have worked for almost all of the leading operators over the last decade..."

#268243 - 03/17/14 05:51 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

An article on CNN by a commercial pilot was interesting. He thinks that the vague info released so far could still be consistent with a 777 flying with the autopilot OFF and where the crew is incapacitated.

He says that the large course and altitude changes described so far could be consistent with the 777's automatic stabilization and auto throttle features as the plane encounters turbulence, wind direction changes, etc. that keep the plane aloft even when the autopilot is not engaged. (it sounds like the 777 is somewhat hard to crash unless you deliberately steer it into the ground)

This pilot says that until there is better evidence that the plane was flown deliberately and expertly--i.e. a straight line from point A to B, then a crisp turn, then a straight line to the next waypoint, and so on--after contact was lost, that the crew incapacitation theory is still in play.

Anyway, a fascinating new theory that I had not heard before that is based solely on the technology of the 777 itself. Doesn't explain the loss of contact, but that's also the still an open question.

#268250 - 03/17/14 07:30 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The more I learn about the B-777 the more impressed by the sophistication of the aircraft. Many ideas as to what actually happened will never get beyond the theory stage unless they get lucky and find the various Black Boxes.

#268318 - 03/18/14 10:13 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
A really simple, no nonsense theory:

1. Fire aboard

2. Pilots immediately turn towards nearest useable airport

3. Pilots immediately switches off main circuits of (almost) everything (including transponders). (Supposedly standard procedure if the fire is belived to be caused by a short circuit).

4. Pilot incapicated and/or communication equipment destroyed in fire

5. Nobody really knows -- except that any concious pilot will do his outmost to save everyone.

6. RIP

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

#268374 - 03/20/14 06:05 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Latest reports on BBC news website state that wreckage has been sighted, including one piece about 24 meters accross.
Looks likely to be the missing plane, though one must remember that previous reports of wreckage turned out to be unrelated.

edit to add link

BBC news

Edited by adam2 (03/20/14 07:58 AM)

#268382 - 03/20/14 04:17 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: adam2]
RNewcomb Offline

Latest reports on BBC news website state that wreckage has been sighted, including one piece about 24 meters accross.
Looks likely to be the missing plane, though one must remember that previous reports of wreckage turned out to be unrelated.

edit to add link

BBC news

I read this the other day, and I though it was the best analysis out there. Apparently, there's some people who are saying that the left turn was programmed into the nav computer like 11 minutes before the final "Good Night" voice message, which tends to knock a hole in this theory.

But.. they've gotten the timing wrong on so many other things in this investigation, that I don't trust much of anything I am hearing now, and the reporting on CNN seems to be primarily ratings driven (It's a Hijacking, It's terrorism, it's pilot suicide.. etc.. etc..)

I just hope they find it soon, and closure and peace comes to these families.

Rod

#268429 - 03/21/14 02:47 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sounds like another deadend despite multiple planes and ships converging on the area. Incredibly remote area of the planet.

#268439 - 03/21/14 03:58 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Sounds like another deadend despite multiple planes and ships converging on the area. Incredibly remote area of the planet.

Maybe a dead end, but maybe not.

It may sound like a lot of ships and planes, but the ocean is very big, and the weather down there sounds like it is rather gnarly. It big seas it would be very easy to sail or fly right by an object like that and not see it amoungst the whitecaps. Also, keep in mind that any debris is constantly moving with the current and wind. Where it was when spotted a few days ago by satellite is not where it is today. And where it is today it won't be tomorrow.

#268442 - 03/21/14 05:31 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: RNewcomb]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I read this the other day, and I though it was the best analysis out there. Apparently, there's some people who are saying that the left turn was programmed into the nav computer like 11 minutes before the final "Good Night" voice message, which tends to knock a hole in this theory.

That could be a SOP. The guy I flew with had two radios and would look ahead and the next frequency he needed and program it into the non active radio until he was ready to switch to it then it was a simple flip of a switch. Likewise the "go around" button which would automatically set everything to the pre-set optimal position to abort a landing and go around for another pass rather than manually having to change the throttle, flaps, steer, etc all at the same time.

I'd bet the pilots do the same, they look ahead and the next landing spot and program into the computer then in an emergency all they would have to do is hit enter to run it. Then if no emergency you clear that one and program in the next and repeat as you travel. Much the same as when I travel I think ahead to the next restroom knowing my kids will need it as soon as I pass by the previous one.

#268447 - 03/21/14 06:41 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Eugene]
RNewcomb Offline

That could be a SOP. The guy I flew with had two radios and would look ahead and the next frequency he needed and program it into the non active radio until he was ready to switch to it then it was a simple flip of a switch. Likewise the "go around" button which would automatically set everything to the pre-set optimal position to abort a landing and go around for another pass rather than manually having to change the throttle, flaps, steer, etc all at the same time.

I'd bet the pilots do the same, they look ahead and the next landing spot and program into the computer then in an emergency all they would have to do is hit enter to run it. Then if no emergency you clear that one and program in the next and repeat as you travel. Much the same as when I travel I think ahead to the next restroom knowing my kids will need it as soon as I pass by the previous one.

That makes a lot of sense actually... they have about 20 days left.. hope they find it or it's going to turn into a multi-year hunt I suspect.

#268449 - 03/21/14 06:53 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

...the ocean is very big, and the weather down there sounds like it is rather gnarly.

I hadn't thought about it much until I just saw a map showing both the possible N/NW flight path towards Uzbekistan/Kazakhstan, and then a flight path basically towards the South Pole where this potential wreckage was sighted by satellite. Almost 180 degrees different directions, and thousands of miles apart. Talk about a "wide search area"!

#268461 - 03/21/14 08:53 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: AKSAR]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

It may sound like a lot of ships and planes, but the ocean is very big, and the weather down there sounds like it is rather gnarly.

haven't seen any lon/lat, but if not in - are very near the .. Roaring Forties.
the chinese sat photo indicates 90 13' 43" / 44 57' 29". roaring forties it is.

Edited by bsmith (03/22/14 01:56 PM)
Edit Reason: updated info

#268486 - 03/23/14 02:56 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bsmith]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

If I were in charge I'd have any nuclear submarines that might be in the IO head down there and start searching for pingers.

The sub is not hampered by heavy weather on the surface so can execute a search pattern at a fair speed as if the seas were calm.(though the sea state would definitely affect the SNR)

But a sub couldn't look for the alleged debris. Just look for the pinger.

Of course Murphy's law might help find the debris as the sub comes to periscope depth and hits it.....

#268488 - 03/23/14 05:36 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Addict

With surface ships from America and China around - and with all of them having underwater listening gear to hear pings - there won't be any subs on the scene. This is not a rescue effort and not worth exposing any secrets.

If there really is a desire and need for a sub search all surface ships in the area will be ordered away first "to avoid surface vessel noise interference". But I doubt it gets to that any time soon.

#268491 - 03/23/14 03:18 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: MostlyHarmless]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
No way would pilots not report fire first before turning off electrical stuff.

#268493 - 03/23/14 04:16 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
With surface ships from America and China around - and with all of them having underwater listening gear to hear pings - there won't be any subs on the scene. This is not a rescue effort and not worth exposing any secrets.

If there really is a desire and need for a sub search all surface ships in the area will be ordered away first "to avoid surface vessel noise interference". But I doubt it gets to that any time soon.

I'm speaking as a former submariner who spent a 6 month deployment in the IO (but not to the southern part of that ocean).

Surface traffic noise would not hamper submerged search.

It's unlikely the Chinese would detect the submarine in the area.

Only issue I can see is if the surface vessels were dragging a towed array then the search areas would have to be deconflicted. Deconfliction in exercises is routine.

No it's not a rescue effort. Now it is an effort to learn whether 777 aircraft are safe to continue flying or whether this was a deliberate act. Either way it's getting mighty expensive.

#268497 - 03/24/14 12:00 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Boeing 777 aircraft are safe to continue flying; the question is what caused the aircraft to fly until fuel exhaustion in the southern Indian Ocean (assuming that it did in fact go into the southern Indian Ocean). At this point I feel a lot of folks are hoping it crashed in the southern IO and the large search effort is to put minds at rest.

As for submarines -- there may be subs involved in the search, but I doubt it. It's a long way out of the way for assets that are already heavily tasked. But like I said, IMO peeps really do want to find this aircraft, just to be sure.

#268510 - 03/24/14 03:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Malaysian Prime Minister has announced that a novel type of analysis of the Inmarsat data has put the last known location of the MH370 deep in the middle of the southern Indian Ocean, far from any possible landing site.

Presumably, the plane crashed into the ocean.

The families were notified an hour before the annoucement.

#268537 - 03/25/14 03:30 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Addict

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
By the time all error bars are considered INMARSAT ping estimates may point to lines hundreds of miles wide, or wider. It's possible the equipment has never been calibrated for this, meaning they won't know how wide the lines even are without careful and slow testing.

INMARSAT has release more information here. The techniques are in fact new and nothing is calibrated. However they analyzed six other flights that day ("predicting the past") and their technique got good enough agreement with the known tracks of those flights to give them confidence here. Good enough for an in-progress recovery anyway.

(neither Digi-Globe or Australia has stated *why* they looked carefully at images that far out in the middle of nowhere)

Originally Posted By: jshannon
No way would pilots not report fire first before turning off electrical stuff.

Why? Reporting then will not help. Even a few more seconds of smoke may well hurt or be fatal.

Apparently, there's some people who are saying that the left turn was programmed into the nav computer like 11 minutes before the final "Good Night" voice message...

But.. they've gotten the timing wrong on so many other things in this investigation, that I don't trust much of anything I am hearing now...

The "premature turn" story has indeed been reversed.

#268538 - 03/25/14 04:11 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
RNewcomb Offline

After reading that the "premature turn" story has been reversed, and the flight computer had NOT been pre-programmed to turn, I have decided I have to stop watching this story.

Everything the media has put out, other than the plane is missing, has been wrong.

I have so little faith that this plane ended up in the South Indian Ocean at this point, that I'm putting in bets it's somehow parked in Iran.

That's what those two Iranians with the false passports get for trying to defect.

And yes.. I am being just a little sarcastic here. This whole story just frustrates me to no end.

#268539 - 03/25/14 05:10 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

In the thread about PLBs in slot canyons I wrote-

"US Navy NAVSAT of the 1970's used observed doppler shift to provide location information to vessels. The rate shape of the frequency shift curve (it would be an S from high to low like listening to a locomotive horn going past you) reveals the distance from the observer to the ground track of the satellite. (still have to choose which side you are on from it)"

This is the principle that INMARSAT folks applied to the flight tracking. Only in this case the satellite was "stationary" and the airplane beacon was moving.

This is quite a feat of measurement considering that the airplane is mostly flying ACROSS the line of sight (from 22,500 miles EVERYTHING is across the LOS!) and the doppler effect only applies to the component of velocity IN the line of sight.

Found an online calculator- assuming 400kt aircraft speed the biggest doppler shift would be 0.27Hz. That's quite a measurement feat!

Edited by unimogbert (03/25/14 05:54 PM)
Edit Reason: doppler shift number

#268545 - 03/25/14 08:48 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: unimogbert]
RNewcomb Offline

In the thread about PLBs in slot canyons I wrote-

"US Navy NAVSAT of the 1970's used observed doppler shift to provide location information to vessels. The rate shape of the frequency shift curve (it would be an S from high to low like listening to a locomotive horn going past you) reveals the distance from the observer to the ground track of the satellite. (still have to choose which side you are on from it)"

This is the principle that INMARSAT folks applied to the flight tracking. Only in this case the satellite was "stationary" and the airplane beacon was moving.

This is quite a feat of measurement considering that the airplane is mostly flying ACROSS the line of sight (from 22,500 miles EVERYTHING is across the LOS!) and the doppler effect only applies to the component of velocity IN the line of sight.

Found an online calculator- assuming 400kt aircraft speed the biggest doppler shift would be 0.27Hz. That's quite a measurement feat!

Yes.. yes it is. I am amazed by how creative we can get when we really want to solve a problem. I just hope they change guidelines a little to help track incidents like this. Putting the family and friends of the passengers on this plane through two weeks of not knowing, and still.. just really, really good educated calculations and no other evidence to refute it... I find kind of unacceptable with the technology we have available now.

#268549 - 03/25/14 10:19 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: RNewcomb]
Russ Offline
Geezer

This incident had a shakey start with sending the search assets to the wrong body of water when they should have known better. Then the credibility of everyone including the Malaysian PM went downhill. At a certain point incomplete and inaccurate reporting leads one to not believe anything they say no matter how hard they try to get it right.

#268767 - 04/01/14 07:29 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

I guess the ratings are still going strong. CNN is still providing expert after expert of interesting but useless information.

#268770 - 04/01/14 08:22 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

... Interesting but useless SPECULATION.

#268774 - 04/01/14 11:58 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

unimogbert,

I think you will find they did not use doppler, but time delay from the outgoing signal to the incoming signal. Gives you distance toward or away from the satellite. Longer interval = further away. That is why they were not able to initially tell the northern from the southern route.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268780 - 04/02/14 07:56 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Starting to look like they're not going to find it. Maybe in 20 years it will turn up while they're looking for something else.

#268784 - 04/02/14 01:19 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JerryFountain]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
unimogbert,

I think you will find they did not use doppler, but time delay from the outgoing signal to the incoming signal. Gives you distance toward or away from the satellite. Longer interval = further away. That is why they were not able to initially tell the northern from the southern route.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Hmmm. Probably right. Interesting problem since the transmitted signal may not be to Cesium standards in its timing. But all you'd really need is 2 or more satellites timing the same ping and working out the differences in delay/geometry/satellite location.

Thanks.

#268786 - 04/02/14 05:33 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
I think you will find they did not use doppler, but time delay from the outgoing signal to the incoming signal.

I was under the impression that measuring the time delay of the signal was how the Inmarsat folks initially tried to locate the plane's position, which resulted in widely diverging flight paths, but that the "novel" method they used to later to focus the search towards the south was some sort of doppler analysis that gave them a direction vector.

#268790 - 04/02/14 06:17 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Was just reading that the first submarine has joined the search, the British Royal Navy's HMS Tireless. Another British Royal Navy ship should arrive shortly.

There's mention of an Australian naval vessel outfitted with a "black box detector" supplied by the US. It's not stated explicitly in the article, but the implication seems to be that it took this long for this "black box detector" to be brought into this search. Granted, this is a remote search area to reach, but still, it's almost the end of the 30 day battery on the black box pinger!

#268791 - 04/02/14 08:08 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Arney - The "Black Box" is that little device they tow to detect the aircraft black box ping. It needs to be close to the actual aircraft location because the black box ping is a low power signal. IMO the search area is still way too big for this to be effective..

#268809 - 04/03/14 01:23 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Was just reading that the first submarine has joined the search, the British Royal Navy's HMS Tireless. Another British Royal Navy ship should arrive shortly.

As I noted above, a nuclear submarine can move fairly quickly (15+ kts) unhampered by high seas on the surface. And they are already equipped with a sonar suite of great power.(even one as old as the Tireless).

It's possible the US would be hesitant to use our subs in the area where the Chinese are searching for the wreckage using ASW planes. That could let the Chinese learn some things we don't want them to know if they get a track on one of our boats.

#268811 - 04/03/14 02:19 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Arney]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Arney,

Doppler shift still only gives speed toward or away from the satellite. It cannot give a vector because it cannot determine speed laterally (tangential direction). The later data appears to have come from additional analysis of the time delays from other aircraft taking similar paths in the same area.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#268812 - 04/03/14 02:52 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JerryFountain]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The various satellites have different orbits and different altitudes. One constellation may do better with TDOA and others may be better with doppler. Different techniques are not mutually exclusive and actually tend to augment each other. The problem isn't the satellites or techniques (math is math) it is the sporadic nature of the target.

The fact that at this late date they haven't gotten the search area much smaller than it is tells me something stinks about the entire evolution, starting at Day One. There's a lot we're not being told, governments can be so secretive... But that's just my opinion.

#268813 - 04/03/14 03:29 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Russ,

Unfortunately there was only one satellite. The INMARSAT system depends on a very few (11) satellites in geosynchronous orbit. The one in question is just north of the center of the Indian Ocean. My understanding is that the path of the aircraft never contacted another INMARSAT satellite, at least after it turned SW. It may have been in contact with the one located over New Guinea in the beginning, but even with more, since they are all in a straight line, still would not give anything but a set of arcs.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (04/03/14 03:34 PM)
Edit Reason: additional discussion

#268814 - 04/03/14 05:26 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the clarification, Jerry.

#268923 - 04/10/14 07:37 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Finally a sub, shudda done that 2 weeks ago, maybe they did?
Still the pinger's are near end of life, why?
Sure batteries only last for a limited time, 30-45 days we are told. Again, why?
I can understand the expense aspect along with testing but I wonder why the first thought is just about the batteries.
Regardless of what batteries are used in any generation of device why
not install a timer circuit as a quick, perhaps easier to test and prove alternative?
IE Set a timer to offer different ping rates as battery life declines.
7 day's normal rate, 8-20 days 50% rate, 20-40 days 25% rate,
40- end of life 10% just to put a number there.
How long could the current gen. of batteries operate using this ping regime?
Perhaps that is how the current boxes are wired, I don't know but if not
why not? Would this be an easier fix to accomplish than trying to rebuild
the device with newer better and perhaps physically larger batteries?

#268924 - 04/10/14 11:16 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Regardless of what batteries are used in any generation of device why
not install a timer circuit as a quick, perhaps easier to test and prove alternative?
IE Set a timer to offer different ping rates as battery life declines.
7 day's normal rate, 8-20 days 50% rate, 20-40 days 25% rate,
40- end of life 10% just to put a number there.

I am not techologically literature in this field, but here is my idea. I would add a backup battery to start working when the first one dies. The 2nd system should remain in a hybernation mode until some radar/sonar ping is received from a search vessel nearby activates this battery to give pings for only half an hour and then "sleeps" again. I think such device would last much longer.

#268925 - 04/10/14 12:29 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I was told the engine reporting system, the one that gave the satellite pings which told the searchers that the plane flew for hours after it was lost, was quite capable of reporting the planes speed and location as well as engine condition.
I was also told the cost of this service was only $10 a flight which the airline had declined as a cost saving measure.
($10 a flight, not $10 a ticket)

Maybe somebody more informed about avionics could explain this part of the story a bit better.

#268941 - 04/10/14 07:11 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

I considered a semi-passive system, ie listen for a signal and turn on but was concerned that whatever was done should have a chance of fitting into
the current recorder housing. Any major design changes will require extensive " destructive/survivability testing ". The current housing works, so do the batteries the question is how to make them last longer without external design change.

Edited by frediver (04/10/14 07:20 PM)

#268973 - 04/11/14 04:07 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: frediver]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Why not require the recorders to fit in the skin of the aircraft and separate on impact? IIRC, I saw a comment on one of the news channels that this was the way some military aircraft were already set up. If so, the basic system is already designed, they just need to design the mounting to the aircraft.

P.S. If they separate, make them float & trigger a 406Mhz beacon.

#269003 - 04/11/14 10:21 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

So, we think the plane went down in the ocean. A really deep part of the ocean. There is little wreckage that has been seen/found.

Why spend a gazillion dollars on finding a wrecked airplane filled with, sadly, dead people? Sure, finding the data recorders will give us cockpit conversations, and a possible motive. But again, we know the final result, so what good is the motive/motives? Let the families grieve and get on with their lives. How would you feel they find the plane and recover all the bodies -1, your loved one?

Just let things alone.

#269009 - 04/12/14 02:39 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

If the wreck was preventable, it could be very useful to figure that out.

If there was criminality involved, I for one would like to see those responsible held accountable.

Until we see wreckage, it's hard to say for sure that this is where the plane ended up.

#269012 - 04/12/14 03:22 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JBMat]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Because if it happened once, it can happen again. Was it a cockpit fire like in Cairo, a new issue, bomb, suicide, etc? Are you willing to budget another bazillion dollars and 200+ lives for the next time.

Those flight data recorders capture thousands of parameters from every system on the aircraft. They're not just voice recorders. The data on the flight 370 recorder matters more then anything else in preventing a reocurrence.

#269013 - 04/12/14 06:20 AM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, you absolutely have to find out how and why it went down. It could be a systemic issue that will come up again and cost more lives. No way you let it go- you must get to the bottom of it no matter what it costs or how long it takes. JMOHO.

#269018 - 04/12/14 05:57 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

There are so many unanswered questions. We need to know the answers, particularly if this is terrorist related. Even if it's not terrorist related, I'm sure fringe elements have been infused with some ideas.

At this point, it would have been cheaper if all planes had been equipped with more robust tracking technology. Besides the actual cost for the searches, there's the wasted mental energy worldwide, which is worth a lot of money also.

#269019 - 04/12/14 07:08 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: JBMat]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

The sad and hard fact is that we learn more from failures than success.

So, what happened? What went wrong? People? Technology?
Some of the above?
All of the above?

We don't know.

Enough people fly frequently enough that we need to try to find out. Will we get all the answers? NO. Will will get some? I hope so. I do not think it is something we can just walk away from and mark up to "bad luck" or "who knows."

An obscure fact or bit of evidence may save thousands of lives in the future.

It is possible, if not probable, that the voice recorder is blank, as it loops in about 2 hours, and the plane may have flown on auto after everything was, ummmh, over.

Perhaps the data recorder might yield some useful info.

But ultimately, IMO, the era of the on-board voice and data recorders should be declared to be over and everything real-time data linked to the "cloud" should start.

#269021 - 04/12/14 08:48 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: bws48]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

But ultimately, IMO, the era of the on-board voice and data recorders should be declared to be over and everything real-time data linked to the "cloud" should start.

If we assume that the cost is worthwhile, there are serious security ramifications associated with such a system. It's not at all clear to me that the airline industry has a good handle on information security.

#269025 - 04/12/14 10:35 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Ian]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
why they don't get a boomer in the area to check for a signal is beyond logic. If they can detect ships that are made to run silent...they can find a signal. Use trained dolphins for crying out loud.

And yes...if I knew someone on that flight I would notwant to just leave them at the bottom of the ocean...that would be an insult to their memory and unbearable for the loved ones they've left behind.

#269026 - 04/12/14 10:44 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: barbakane]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Retrieving the Flight Data Recorder and Cockpit Voice Recorder is the goal. I seriously doubt they will recover any of the passengers or crew.

Dolphins? Can they find stuff at that depth?

#269027 - 04/12/14 11:14 PM Re: Lost Malaysian Plane [Re: Russ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Dolphins? Can they find stuff at that depth?
Not likely. I have not heard of dolphins going to those depths. Whales, maybe. But, whales are a bit unruly.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.