Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#267825 - 03/03/14 05:43 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was tempted to ask how well the SS works above timberline - obvious answer, of course, so, suppressing my snarky tendencies, let me ask,in all seriousness, how well would the SS perform with a source of heat other than a wood fire - something like a canister stove or even a super light alcohol contraption. Could the SS trap enough heat to make those sources worthwhile - even enough to get you through the wee hours of the morning (the worst time in my experience)?

Edited by hikermor (03/03/14 08:47 PM)

#267826 - 03/03/14 06:47 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I like the Baker very much, but the Whelen (a small Baker) is a wonderful shelter for one (see the following link) using a fire for heat. http://tentsmiths.com/period-tents-whelen-tents.html
I now have an MSR Fast Stash which is much like the Whelen, but with a floor and screens, making it much more useable in many places (bugs seem to be an almost universal problem). I have yet to try it in fall to winter conditions, but I love the ability to lay in my bag and watch the stars or the nature I came to enjoy. Even in the rain. I can fix my morning tea and breakfast without leaving the bag.

Another super fire tent is the Forester (at least as I know it). This is also a one man tent although your head is toward the fire. After bug season it is a superior shelter for under a pound in light Eqyption cotton. One made with Sil-Nylon would be a pleasure to carry and use. The ones I see on line today are much bigger.

I have enjoyed both to much lower than reasonable temperatures. If you can build a fire, they will keep you warm much like Bruce indicated.

Bruce, is there an opening toward the front to let air flow through? How far down on the back does the plastic reach?

The cautions I would have with the SS as I see in the picture, are the likelyhood of fire damage to the plastic and the possibility of CO poisoning if it snowed.

Respectfully,

Jerry

In the link I gave above the Whelen Is MUCH TOO Large to be the tent I described. It is even larger than their Baker. To me the Whelen is a small tent, designed like the one in the link, about 4 to 5 feet high and 7 or so feet long. Just big enough to hold a person and their gear. Their Forester is also too big for a one person tent, sort of a crooked pyramid. The ones of each I have used have been one person shelters for packing. One of their important qualities was low weight. A pound or two of light cotton. Two poles or a ridge like shown above for the Whelen or three for the Forester, an inverted V for the opening and a pole down the ridge to the ground - about 7 or 8 feet long. JF

Edited by JerryFountain (03/03/14 07:18 PM)
Edit Reason: size of tents

#267827 - 03/03/14 07:08 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm glad to see Bruce putting together a book, looking forward to that.

I've used a super shelter, with no sleeping bag, in subfreezing weather with great results. It was so warm that I could wear nothing more than a pair of shorts and a T-shirt. You do need to insulate yourself from the ground. I used pine needles.

People who haven't tried a super shelter in the field just don't understand. This is a subject where internet-only knowledge, and a lack of personal experience, hurts you. Like Bruce says (and Mors as well), one large step from the edge of the fire to the plastic is all you need.

I will say this: I have not found the need to use parachute fabric, or other breathable fabric, as opposed to a waterproof tarp. The heat is so strong that I just open up the edges of the plastic as needed to provide some ventilation. I never had a condensation problem. The heat takes care of that. Maybe if I was running this setup below 0 degF it would matter more to use breathable fabric.

#267828 - 03/03/14 07:22 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Silicone coated nylon is less flame resistant than the uncoated parachute fabric Bruce uses and the uncoated fabric lets air flow thru, which might reduce CO problems too. I really like how the front is cheap replaceable plastic, since that is the likely spot to get spark holes. Has anyone tried the window wrap for this use? It is very tough for the weight.

Edited by clearwater (03/03/14 07:23 PM)

#267830 - 03/03/14 09:02 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am the one who first said "Baker" so let me explain. the tent we used was much smaller than anything in your link (fascinating site, BTW) - about 2' high, 6'long - just large enough for two to squeeze in and sleep (we were backpacking in northern Arizona) - micro Whelan? nano Baker?

Is it safe to say that you take an open sided structure, cover the opening with transparent plastic, crawl inside, and enjoy the trapped radiant heat? I will have to try this out....

#267831 - 03/03/14 09:10 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... Is it safe to say that you take an open sided structure, cover the opening with transparent plastic, crawl inside, and enjoy the trapped radiant heat? I will have to try this out....

I saw something similar to this demonstrated on one of the few episodes of Dual Survival that I saw. Cody came up with the idea and Dave was skeptical, but it worked. IIRC it was the episode on an island in Canada (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia?).

Edit: Yep, Nova Scotia. Season 1/Episode 1, SHIPWRECKED: June 11, 2010

Edited by Russ (03/03/14 09:15 PM)

#267837 - 03/03/14 10:55 PM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Hi,

Here's the YouTube_Link for Mors talking about the "Super Shelter".

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#267842 - 03/04/14 02:00 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
bacpacboy wants to try out a super shelter, so he's building it in the backyard. So far, the plastic sheeting is serving as the back wall of the lean-to wall, but we're going to hang his casualty blanket back there, and flip the plastic over the top for the super shelter. Sadly, no campfires are allowed in our neighbourhood, so we're looking for another heating method, before we take this show to the bush to try it.

No sleepover yet, but we have cooked chilie and hot chocolate out there. BPB pulled out the family BOB and camping supplies to put together a little backyard kit, "so we can get cookin!" smile

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#267847 - 03/04/14 03:11 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am the one who first said "Baker" so let me explain. the tent we used was much smaller than anything in your link (fascinating site, BTW) - about 2' high, 6'long - just large enough for two to squeeze in and sleep (we were backpacking in northern Arizona) - micro Whelan? nano Baker?

Is it safe to say that you take an open sided structure, cover the opening with transparent plastic, crawl inside, and enjoy the trapped radiant heat? I will have to try this out....

Hikermor,

That is what I camped in and it was called a Whelen. That was the 1 man size, slightly smaller than the 2 man I had.

#267851 - 03/04/14 07:29 AM Re: Super Shelter [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
bacpac..you might want to try out a Coleman lamp as a heat source in your yard,they toss out a lot of heat.
and i saw the Youtube,very clever layering of nylon,mylar and plastic sheeting and something i will add to my next kit.looks light and easy to pack and carry.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.