Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#267883 - 03/05/14 08:36 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't think they dig with pick and shovel anymore, the shovel is usually to lean on while they watch the backhoe smile

Anything you put anywhere in civilization you run the risk of it being found during maintenance. Anything you rent you run the risk of it not being accessible in times of need due to possibilities such as power out, the building/business closed, etc.

Some possibilities I have seen are networking with others then I store a box for you and you a box for me. Another is getting permission to geocache on public land and place 6 caches to be found and one to not.

#267886 - 03/05/14 08:44 PM Re: cache around town [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

LOL!!

#267895 - 03/06/14 04:34 AM Re: cache around town [Re: Mark_F]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, always permission.

#267899 - 03/06/14 05:54 AM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Around here, our storm drains are maintained by raccoons. You drive by at night and there are half a dozen sets of eyeballs staring out at you. Kind of creepy the way they reflect the car headlights. Anything you put down there better be encased in inch thick steel. Those raccoons can get into anything. On the other hand, I guess you could consider the raccoons to be your urban food cache! You don't even have to stash them in the sewers ahead of time. They just appear there on their own. You could fashion a spear to get them.

Hmmm, another idea would the migrating geese in the parks in the area. There are enough of those messy things to feed the whole town. You can walk up to about ten feet from them. So a bola made out of paracord and rocks would be all you'd need. Never thought of the raccoons and geese as being an "urban cache", but I guess they are.

Hey, can you eat coyotes too???!!! We've got those all over, but you'd need a rifle to get them. Not a technical problem, except for the pesky "no shooting" laws in town.

#267911 - 03/06/14 06:20 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Purchase and hollow out three volumes of poetry by Ralph Greenleaf Whittier. Stash desired supplies within.Take to the public library. Shelve the cache books in the poetry section, or really, any section except new fiction or juveniles. Cache will remain untouched for centuries.

#267921 - 03/07/14 01:55 AM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
For greater volume, do the same with a complete set of "The Great Books" or a 30 year old set of encyclopedias.

#268278 - 03/18/14 01:21 AM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Unfortunately, while I have plenty of storage space at work (several cabinet and option for a locker), some of the things I would like to cache are forbidden on the property. Ie, firearms, probably any ammo, pyrotechnics, pepper spray ... might be able to have a baton or something like that, and probably could get away with a backpack. But really, no point, since I have to drive to get to work, and my truck has a fair amount of stuff in it.

#268285 - 03/18/14 03:12 AM Re: cache around town [Re: MDinana]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Never hurts to have a back up somewhere.

#268455 - 03/21/14 07:38 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I thought you were talking about geocaching for a second...

In any case, make sure YOUR cache doesn't look like a geocache (which are sometimes in used ammo cans!) and seem to be hidden everywhere. You might inadvertantly put your safety cache in an area beside a geocache and be found accidentally. Just saying...

Secondly, locations such bridges, utilities, schools, etc. are also not good places lest someone find it and think it was a bomb and then call out the squad. That happens all the time in the geocaching world.

#268456 - 03/21/14 08:09 PM Re: cache around town [Re: Eugene]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
...I have seen are networking with others then I store a box for you and you a box for me...

That's the most robust and the cheapest. But, short of complete PAW/TEOTWAWKI/WROL/The Big One/societal collapse...
www.storagewest.com
www.publicstorage.com
www.uhaul.com
www.selfstorage.org
&c.

Do I need to elaborate? Storage rates for a small (5x5x8) closet start at about $35/month, and you can store a whole lot more gear in one then a couple of 17 gallon food storage containers hanging from a sewer grate. It's even cheaper if you split the space and rent with a trusted friend. Just keep up on your payments if you want your cache to stay off of TruTV or A&E.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.