Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267794 - 03/02/14 06:46 PM cache around town
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Besides the obvious of having allies along the way home where I can stow items (or borrow things I might need but didn't realize until the time came), I tried thinking how one would go about stashing boodle here and there without the likelihood someone else might take it. There are a couple "wilderness" zones along the way I could bury some items, but it occurred to me that might not be practical for everyone. First, what criteria would make for a good urban cache? Inconspicuous and accessible were the first two that came to mind. Sheltered from the elements would be preferable I suppose, but not a priority.

My first idea for an urban cache seems pretty obvious. An airtight container strung from the grate of a storm sewer along a curb ought to be inconspicuous enough, yet remain relatively accessible. I've never seen anyone doing maintenance on storm sewer grates, so it seems that is one decent location.

Anyone got any other great ideas?

#267795 - 03/02/14 06:51 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, my scheming little mind came up with another interesting idea. You might have to go to some trouble, but how about casting a concrete curb section and putting a cache inside it. Then replacing a curb in a parking lot with the one you made, marking it, and who would know any better?

#267796 - 03/02/14 07:22 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I don't think I would go either of those routes. There has to be maintenance done on the storm drains, even if it's only to clear a clog. One guy sees your stuff and it's gone.

As to the concrete curb section - In my driveway maybe, in a relative's driveway, maybe. Anyplace else, nope. It's going to be inherently weak, as it's hollow.

As you are in AK, burying is not an option (snow, frozen ground) so it has to be someplace above ground. Is a storage rental unit viable?

My question is why do you want to split the stuff up here and there? Store it in one safe spot, either at home or on your property.

#267801 - 03/03/14 03:14 AM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Benjammin
I have a permanent gym locker with gear stored in it. Locker at work, rent a closet from a friend of ours who can use the small amount each month. I have my own digital lock on it. And an ex girlfriend let's me store two long range packs and firearms in her basement.

jbmat

Remember the old adage about not putting all your eggs in one basket. when an emergency happens you may not be able to return home. Or it may be in the area of your home and you will not be allowed in by the authorities.

JMHO

#267815 - 03/03/14 03:32 PM Re: cache around town [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Archaeologists of the future will really appreciate buried caches. Perhaps you have been following the story of the anonymous couple in the Sierra Nevada, who chanced across a rusty can on their property and acquired the gold coins therein, worth a cool ten million.......

#267822 - 03/03/14 04:36 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Stashing caches around town seems too risky to me, unless it consists of items you won't mind parting with if it's discovered by someone else. Maybe I am just not thinking creatively enough, but everything I've thought of would stick out like the proverbial thumb, be subject to being discovered by city or other maintenance workers, or being discovered by someone else. I think your best bet is having your allies along the way home where you can stash stuff (although in a real SHTF scenario don't be surprised if your cache gets claimed and used by said allies). I would look at ways to expand that. Maybe start frequenting a few business establishments along the way where you can stash some stuff. Otherwise, maybe you could try some of your ideas with some expendable stuff and see how it goes.

#267824 - 03/03/14 05:18 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Since Benjamin is in Alaska we can probably assume that there are empty spaces (interstitial wilderness) within reach of urban/suburban Anchorage. Other than ensuring the cache can be sealed to prevent water intrusion, this should be doable. That said, I wouldn't be using anything that appears to be owned by the city or anyone else; maintenance is done, just not often. Pick a big rock off the beaten path as a marker (GPS is your friend) and stash your cache.

#267873 - 03/05/14 03:13 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
There is also the matter of having the property owner's permission. Isn't there an issue with stashing a cache on someone's property without their permission (i.e. trespassing)? Or removing/modifying city property or a business's property without their permission or knowledge (as in replacing the city or business's parking block with the other one)? I would think a property owner wouldn't be happy to discover you "snooping" (for lack of a better word) around on their property. I would think a city LEO would be less than understanding to discover you removing city property (assuming the parking block is in a city parking area). Likewise with a security guard for a business if it happens to be a business's parking lot.

I may be misunderstanding exactly what you have in mind or how you plan to do it. I certainly don't want to take this into forbidden territory, so I would definitely suggest having the property owner's permission to stash a cache or make mods to their property to conceal the stash.

#267876 - 03/05/14 04:13 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
a 24hour gym that gives members a key might be an option to store a few things in a locker

#267881 - 03/05/14 07:36 PM Re: cache around town [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

To dig your Cache hole in plain sight beside the road, you will probably need a few buddies (probably around 4 or 5 folks) dressed in High Vis Jackets and Hard Hats etc.

One to dig the hole with the pick and shovel.
One with a Clip Board with a pencil behind the ear.
One directing the first one with the pick and shovel where to dig.
One sitting in the driving seat in vehicle beside the hole having a nap.
One sitting in the passenger seat with a hot flask.

Take around 6 weeks to dig the hole, anything less will arouse suspicion,

Hope this helps. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/05/14 07:42 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.