The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#267771 - 02/28/14 05:48 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My GHB is an ongoing project for me! Here's what it looks like right now.

First a little background and some of the contents and considerations:

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

...I've basically looking at three possible (GHB) scenarios: (1)bugging in at the office; (2)bugging in at a friend's house between work and home; and (3)being stuck my the Jeep during the commute. As a result, I've made a 2 bag GHB set-up.

An office bug-in is highly unlikely, however, our warehouse is in an industrial manufacturing area, and the neighbourhood is bordered by a national railway and highway, and it also houses a nuclear power plant. I've got meds, FAK & hygiene, N95 masks, LED light, food, a couple of (full) water bottles, and a bunch of other little odds and ends stashed around my cubicle and the office kitchen, and think that with my EDC and the preps in my Jeep, I should be in good shape for a short bug-in before I can head home. A good friend lives around the corner, so if something should happen here, I'd likely try to make my way there, unless it's a chemical or nuclear accident, in which case I'm going to shelter in place.

Spending the night a friend's house or a local motel is much stronger possibility, in the event of something like the recent ice storm. I've got an overnight bag packed in a backpack, with two changes of clothes, a thermal under layer, toiletries, FAK, LED, enough cash for a motel room, etc. I also threw an MRE and a deck of cards in there, because I'd hate to couch surf and show-up empty handed.

Getting stuck on the road during my 63KM (one-way) commute is possible too. I always keep a small survival kit in there, along with extra hats, mitts, sweater, water, etc. I'm planning to take some short lunch-time hikes on the local trails, so my day hike pack is going to live in my Jeep along with my overnight bag and a wool blanket. It's got the basics of water, shelter, fire, food & cooking, FAK, signalling and knife/saw/headlamp/etc. in there.

The biggest thing I think I need to do right now is remember to bring my cel phone with my every day. I do have a charger in the Jeep and at the office, but after a year of barely using it, I've already forgotten it several times over the past two months. smirk

Current GHB/Dy Hike Kit Contents

Pack: Outbound Yukon 35L

Shelter: paracord, jute twine, 2 nylon GI style ponchos, AMK/SOL Bivvy, garbage bags, Thermarest Z-seat

Clothes: a ziplock bag with merino wool hiking socks, liner gloves, fleece-lined buff, flo orange thinsulate hat, a fleece vest, a wool poncho liner

Sharps: Mora LMF Fireknife, BG USK, Bacho Laplander saw, Gerber pocket sharpener, Gerber Suspension multi-tool
*The BGUSK is my chopper an batonner, and the Mora is my standard go to for a day hike.

Fire Kit: hexi/wetfire/esbit cubes, bic, match safe with SA matches & cotton balls, UCO stormproof matches & striker, tea light, PJ cotton balls and Altoids tin (with char cloth, fat wood, tampons, tinderquick, gorilla tape and ranger bands)

Food & Water: Nalgene, Canteen Kit (Canteen, canteen cup, canteen stove, esbit or wetfire tabs, 750 mL MSR Seagull (which holds my fire kit), DIY windscreen for stove, plastic kuska, folding cup, Sea to Summit Spork, bandana, Bag O Chow with extra ziplock bags (ramen, tuna, instant potatoes and bacon bits, instant oatmeal, jerky, a MH meal, clif bars, chocolate, hot chocolate, coffee, tang, koolaid)

Bag O Love: Resealable breast milk bag with BIC, water filter straw, MicroPUR tabs, extra breast milk bags, snare wire, AAA flashlight, mini folding knife, Gerber micro multi-tool, fatwood and a couple of wetfire tabs.

First Aid & Hygiene: AMK .7 FAK kit with added: mylar blanet, LED, triangular bandage, maxi pads, tampons, meds, MicroPUR tabs(4) and MRE TP, Burt's Bees lip balm, baby wipes, Tylenol, Benedryl, chemical body warmers and a bunch of bandaids

Misc: Peztl e+ headlight & spare batteries(2), ice cleats, insulated thermos, carabiners

Here's a recent peak inside the day hike pack part of my GHB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnoNOdK2yc&feature=em-upload_owner

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#267772 - 02/28/14 05:55 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I find the bike option rather appealing in an emergency. Ideally, if I had to leave, I would start out with a vehicle containing supplies, including bike. If necessary,I could abandon the vehicle and continue via pedaling.

The appeal of the bicycle lies in its small size, the ability to be carried for short distances, and its general low profile. Properly equipped, it can carry a surprising load (remember Vietnam?).

I ride a touring bike (Surly Long Haul Trucker) with racks and 32 mm Vittoria touring tires. I have ridden 37mm tires and they are more versatile, able to deal with mild off pavement environments fairly well. I can count on 35 to 85 miles per day consistently,maybe up to 100 miles in a real push.

If necessary, you dump the bike, put out your thumb, and start walking.

#267773 - 02/28/14 06:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Surly Long Haul Trucker is on my list of things to buy when the opportunity presents. A very nice, well designed Cro-Moly frame. I could go on but then this GHB thread would morph into a thread on post-crisis bikes and tires. smile

#267775 - 02/28/14 10:25 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Imagine that -thread drift on ETS! I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you...

What we seem to be discussing are "get back home systems," or something like that. It clearly varies with individual circumstances, as it logically should....

#267777 - 02/28/14 10:45 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

True, and a get back home system which included a bike would possibly need much less in other supplies. For me to walk home would take a minimum of 10 hours. On a bike I could do that in 2-3 hours depending on how many times I was forced to get off and carry the bike -- 2 liters of water for the trip.

I'm not going to start carrying my bike to work just in case, but I can easily imagine me hoofing it to the bike shop near work and either buying or renting a bike for the duration. The other option would be to get half way through the walk and see that TREK sign in the shopping center I drive by on my way to work. A TREK 520 would work quite well depending on tires.

#267778 - 02/28/14 10:54 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

DackPacJac

Nice set up.
I would go with more food. And ditch one poncho, adding a light down or thinsulate sleeping bag and a ultra light bivy,
Did I hear you say that you have pj cotton balls in your match safe WITH your matches?

#267798 - 03/03/14 12:13 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Russ
A good bike would be nice to have but mine doesn't go to work. However, following a major seismic event having a bike with the right tires would be a good thing and I'm not sure skinny road tires are the best option. I went with WTB Slickasaurus tires on my early 90's Cro-Moly mountain bike. Good on pavement but can handle pot-holes, curbs and other bad things much better than a pure road tire. They're not as fast though and that is the trade-off.

Edit: I may replace the Slickasaurus tires with a set of Continental Travel Contact. Slick on center line for asphalt and knobs on the edges for off-road. My bike was designed with clearance for 2+ inch knobbies so a 1.75" tire is not an issue.

Yes, besides being great transportation in a lot of everyday situations bikes have the potential to come in handy after a lot of different disasters; check out the following links for examples: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/11/power-bicycles-disaster-recovery/3834/; http://bikeportland.org/2013/07/13/disaster-relief-trials-bring-30-miles-of-urban-apocalyptica-back-to-portland-90373; http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/departmen...nse-rally.html. I agree about skinny tires not being the best option for that application--think mixed-terrain riding, with wider tires that are flat-resistant. The Continental tires Russ linked to above seem ideal. In fact, I just put a set on a similar-type bike to the one he describes and am looking forward to testing them out when the ice and snow melt around here. Other considerations include how to carry things on the bike; a rear rack is best for this and you can use panniers (which can be made very inexpensively from square plastic buckets with lids and some simple hardware, and these are waterproof to boot), a milk crate or just bungee a backpack etc. on to the rack. You may also be able to add a front rack depending on the bike, and this will add capacity. Handlebar type is a personal preference, but flat bars (mountain bike type) can get uncomfortable after a certain amount of time so if your bike has these you might want to put on bar ends or switch to trekking (butterfly) bars which are compatible with mountain bike brake levers and shifters. Fenders will help keep you drier if you're riding in rain and puddles. A bike set up with the above will be great for commuting and errands, or even touring/camping, with the bonus of being potentially useful after a disaster.

#267799 - 03/03/14 01:05 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Jolt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The Michelin City Trekking tire may also be an excellent option and it comes in two widths for those who can't deal with fat tires -- it appears very puncture resistant. 36-87 psi is a fairly wide pressure range when compared to the 45-55 psi range of the Continental tire. But the Continental tire had lugs on the side for off-pavement. Things to consider.

IMO a bike is a great way to carry your GHB.

#267808 - 03/03/14 01:24 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I also like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Tyre. Very puncture resistant. Also don't forget the inner tubes. The Slime seal healing inner tubes also work well for those slow punctures.

Quote:
A TREK 520 would work quite well depending on tires.

In the UK the Dawes Galaxy range is very popular. The Dawes Galaxy Ultra is a nice bicycle. It is expensive though considering the mid range Shimano components.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/touringaudax-bikes/dawes-ultra-galaxy

i.e. The Reynolds 853 tubing will be twice as strong as the 4130 crome-moly tubing (equivalent to the old Reynolds 501 tubing)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/03/14 01:42 PM)

#267809 - 03/03/14 02:29 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone know of a bicycle rack pannier bag which just consists of a PALS Molle webbing carrier. It would allow me to add all manner of Molle Bags and pouches to added to the bicycle rack etc. If bicycling becomes impossible the Molle Bags/pouches can be transferred to a Molle Belt and shoulder harness.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/03/14 02:30 PM)

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.