TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Building one for me, interesting and very simple article here

Get Home Bag

#267721 - 02/27/14 02:52 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I think the starting point should be to consider how long it will take to walk/get home, and the weather and other conditions along the way.

In my neighborhood, we have folks that commute 20+ miles one way to downtown Washington DC, and others that work in Annapolis, just 7 miles away.

Assume they are walking home, each are going to need different bags with different contents.

Age and physical fitness also needs to be considered: 40 years ago I could and did walk 20 miles in one day. Now, not so much. . .

#267722 - 02/27/14 03:00 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Teacher RO, city GHBs are a passion & need for me. I've made many for myself and others. Mine are designed to be security check friendly, so no weapons, pry bars or big knives. And mine are made to be worn, to & from work/play. Commuter kits. The article you link, when read with its comments, are an excellent template. I added my 2 cents in an additional comment, posted today, to your linked article. Happy building.

#267724 - 02/27/14 03:16 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Be careful throwing the GHB around in mixed groups since it is also a date rape drug ; ).

#267727 - 02/27/14 04:31 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Kelty MAP 3500 - http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html. I have 3 of them, nice bags.

#267737 - 02/27/14 01:30 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with what was said above about making the GHB tailored to you 're commute. My distances home are from 33 to 600 miles so I consider obstacles along the way. Obstacles are Marshland, Bayou's & Rivers, fences, etc.

I'm carrying a few extra items to assist me with these obstacles. Know the terrain you have to cross. Become intimately familiar with your route(s) home.

#267739 - 02/27/14 03:05 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I think this guy is on the right track, he has a good starting point for a GHB. I don't disagree with any of his choice of items so far, but he appears to have left out a few key components. He could learn a thing or two from the boy scout ten essentials list, and from a basic list of key survival items. Based on those, a few key items I see he has left out are:

- rain gear
- sun protection
- map and compass
- fire starting items
- extra batteries for the light
- shelter items
- cordage
- signalling items (at least a whistle)
- duct tape
- sewing kit
- wire
- a metal cup (and/or water purification tablets)

Now, I realize I don't know about ALL the gear he may be carrying, perhaps he has a lot of this on his person or in a pocket survival kit he is EDC-ing that we don't know about. Maybe he has additional pack or gear in his vehicle. I also realize I don't know how far he has to go to get home, it may be 1 block, it may be 100 miles. I do know, however, that if i were putting together a GHB, I would make it without the assumption that I have a home to get to. I would also make it without assuming I could get to extra gear in my vehicle. To me, I would just be building another BOB of sorts.

#267742 - 02/27/14 05:41 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

As to the "bag"portion of the GHB, if it is to be a true commuter or walk around the city kit, I suggest that you are best served by a small, low profile backpack. My current favorite is a black Tom Bihn Synapse,modified with Fastex lash patches sown on its bottom by my shoe repair shop and waterproofed by me. It's ~1100 cu. in. Plenty for what you're building, with room left over for lunch and a small tablet or book.
If you want mainly a commuter kit, one bag solution ( I.e. One bag for emergency gear and laptop/office paperwork), go with a North Face Surge II (or an analog), ~1800cu. in. of very well organized space. But, not so large as to be clumsy on a bus/train/plane commute. Suggesting same mod. as noted above. Additionally, take a black waterproof marker to the white lettering and reflective strips and it lowers the profile further and is very inconspicuous, even in a professional setting.

#267743 - 02/27/14 05:50 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good thoughts.

1. Walking is the last resort for me. I could do it and am equipped for it, but before that I'd stay over at work, go to a friends/ hotel, take public transport, call for a ride, cab, bike...Walking is slow and energy intensive.

2. The GHB is supplemented by gear in the car and at work.

3. Knowing the route(s) is important: Not just my highway commute, but alternate ones, bus lines, walking paths etc. And know that alternates are almost always longer.

4. Getting good, timely info is going to be tough; radio? internet? other?

5. Have cash on hand.

#267744 - 02/27/14 05:55 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During a long walk home, you may want to keep the Get Home Bag as light as possible. A look an Original Mountain Marathon OMM kit list might well be worth looking at, if you want to move fast and light.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_planetFear_2012_Mountain_Marathon_Kitlist_1129.html

I would also pack a solar umbrella especially for urban areas. Even on moderately warm sunny days the solar radiation will take its toll or how far you will be able to walk. Hiking in warm wet weather is less than ideal when using Goretex rain shell.

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/info.cgi?session=RWPQat49hnA6H&sprache_land=usa

Don't forget to pack a wide brimmed hat, sun glasses and some walking boots/shoes, socks, Vaseline and foot blister kit.

A small pair of good quality binoculars i.e 7x25s could also prove to be very handy to recce your route forward.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/27/14 05:58 PM)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.