TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Building one for me, interesting and very simple article here

Get Home Bag

#267721 - 02/27/14 02:52 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I think the starting point should be to consider how long it will take to walk/get home, and the weather and other conditions along the way.

In my neighborhood, we have folks that commute 20+ miles one way to downtown Washington DC, and others that work in Annapolis, just 7 miles away.

Assume they are walking home, each are going to need different bags with different contents.

Age and physical fitness also needs to be considered: 40 years ago I could and did walk 20 miles in one day. Now, not so much. . .

#267722 - 02/27/14 03:00 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Teacher RO, city GHBs are a passion & need for me. I've made many for myself and others. Mine are designed to be security check friendly, so no weapons, pry bars or big knives. And mine are made to be worn, to & from work/play. Commuter kits. The article you link, when read with its comments, are an excellent template. I added my 2 cents in an additional comment, posted today, to your linked article. Happy building.

#267724 - 02/27/14 03:16 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Be careful throwing the GHB around in mixed groups since it is also a date rape drug ; ).

#267727 - 02/27/14 04:31 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Kelty MAP 3500 - http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html. I have 3 of them, nice bags.

#267737 - 02/27/14 01:30 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with what was said above about making the GHB tailored to you 're commute. My distances home are from 33 to 600 miles so I consider obstacles along the way. Obstacles are Marshland, Bayou's & Rivers, fences, etc.

I'm carrying a few extra items to assist me with these obstacles. Know the terrain you have to cross. Become intimately familiar with your route(s) home.

#267739 - 02/27/14 03:05 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I think this guy is on the right track, he has a good starting point for a GHB. I don't disagree with any of his choice of items so far, but he appears to have left out a few key components. He could learn a thing or two from the boy scout ten essentials list, and from a basic list of key survival items. Based on those, a few key items I see he has left out are:

- rain gear
- sun protection
- map and compass
- fire starting items
- extra batteries for the light
- shelter items
- cordage
- signalling items (at least a whistle)
- duct tape
- sewing kit
- wire
- a metal cup (and/or water purification tablets)

Now, I realize I don't know about ALL the gear he may be carrying, perhaps he has a lot of this on his person or in a pocket survival kit he is EDC-ing that we don't know about. Maybe he has additional pack or gear in his vehicle. I also realize I don't know how far he has to go to get home, it may be 1 block, it may be 100 miles. I do know, however, that if i were putting together a GHB, I would make it without the assumption that I have a home to get to. I would also make it without assuming I could get to extra gear in my vehicle. To me, I would just be building another BOB of sorts.

#267742 - 02/27/14 05:41 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

As to the "bag"portion of the GHB, if it is to be a true commuter or walk around the city kit, I suggest that you are best served by a small, low profile backpack. My current favorite is a black Tom Bihn Synapse,modified with Fastex lash patches sown on its bottom by my shoe repair shop and waterproofed by me. It's ~1100 cu. in. Plenty for what you're building, with room left over for lunch and a small tablet or book.
If you want mainly a commuter kit, one bag solution ( I.e. One bag for emergency gear and laptop/office paperwork), go with a North Face Surge II (or an analog), ~1800cu. in. of very well organized space. But, not so large as to be clumsy on a bus/train/plane commute. Suggesting same mod. as noted above. Additionally, take a black waterproof marker to the white lettering and reflective strips and it lowers the profile further and is very inconspicuous, even in a professional setting.

#267743 - 02/27/14 05:50 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good thoughts.

1. Walking is the last resort for me. I could do it and am equipped for it, but before that I'd stay over at work, go to a friends/ hotel, take public transport, call for a ride, cab, bike...Walking is slow and energy intensive.

2. The GHB is supplemented by gear in the car and at work.

3. Knowing the route(s) is important: Not just my highway commute, but alternate ones, bus lines, walking paths etc. And know that alternates are almost always longer.

4. Getting good, timely info is going to be tough; radio? internet? other?

5. Have cash on hand.

#267744 - 02/27/14 05:55 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During a long walk home, you may want to keep the Get Home Bag as light as possible. A look an Original Mountain Marathon OMM kit list might well be worth looking at, if you want to move fast and light.

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_planetFear_2012_Mountain_Marathon_Kitlist_1129.html

I would also pack a solar umbrella especially for urban areas. Even on moderately warm sunny days the solar radiation will take its toll or how far you will be able to walk. Hiking in warm wet weather is less than ideal when using Goretex rain shell.

http://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/info.cgi?session=RWPQat49hnA6H&sprache_land=usa

Don't forget to pack a wide brimmed hat, sun glasses and some walking boots/shoes, socks, Vaseline and foot blister kit.

A small pair of good quality binoculars i.e 7x25s could also prove to be very handy to recce your route forward.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/27/14 05:58 PM)

#267745 - 02/27/14 06:06 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Remember, when building your kit, it's easy to dump or cache items that you don't need. My commuter kit ran heavy primarily because of the gigantic laptop issued to me by my employer -- if I planned to walk a long distance I could leave it at work or take the hard drive out and dump the rest.

I'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

#267748 - 02/27/14 10:52 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Can't stress the importance of cash. DW never carried cash "I have checks and a credit card". Worked great until there was a power outage. No lunch for her. Since then, she carries a decent tho not large amount of cash.

I agree, go heavy, dump what you don't need. If you need a rainsuit a garbage bag may suffice, but wouldn't that rainsuit be better?

#267750 - 02/28/14 12:09 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Another constraint to a Get Home Bag is your storage situation at work or school or wherever you'll typically be when you're out.

Even if you drive, depending on what kinds of events you are trying to prepare for, keeping your kit in your car may not be the smartest idea. For example, in earthquake country, keeping your kit in a car parked in a seismically iffy parking structure could turn out to be a dumb idea. Remember in the North Ridge or Loma Prieta quakes here in California, a number of buildings with carports on the ground level collapsed during the shaking.

#267751 - 02/28/14 12:19 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Arney]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good point about large concrete parking garages. I do keep my GHB in the truck as part of a 96 hr kit, but when I'm out and about I park in the open so a building collapse is not a concern, unless I'm in it.

As it is, if I need to use that bag (Camelbak Ridge Runner) as a GHB, I'll repack it based on conditions at that time. I may just decide to stay with the truck. It depends. . .

#267755 - 02/28/14 01:57 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: JBMat]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Can't stress the importance of cash. DW never carried cash "I have checks and a credit card". Worked great until there was a power outage.

Not long ago I found myself in a downtown parking structure with only automated payment systems, and the connection to the bank had apparently failed. You could get out with cash, or not at all. Wasn't a problem for me, but others were stuck.

#267760 - 02/28/14 05:23 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: chaosmagnet]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm going to suggest that we define terms to focus our discussion. As TeacherRO started this thread and cited in that blog article, we should define our GHB as a stand alone kit or as a part of our daily work carryall. It's one step up from EDC gear. But, it's several steps down frm a BOB or even a 72hr. kit. The GHB is for urban commutes on trains, ferry, buses, bikes and foot. It must be light and inconspicuous enough that we will schlepp it every day, without dreading it or calling unwanted attention to ourselves. It may have to pass a security screen search/ x-ray. Thus , I suggest a max weight of ~10-12lb.s of prep gear, including the backpack, not including work related gear.

I view the GHB as my support system to gear me up to safely evac out of the tall, blacked out , smokey, debris strewn, toxic dust filled high rise, mall, theatre or tunnel. So it needs leather/ Nomex gloves, flat N-95 masks, swim googles, small coin cell headlamp and a 2 AA-AAA hand flashlight (Streamlight ProTac 2AA for me) w. Lithium batteries ( no or limited xtra batt.s, too heavy) Xcaper smoke mask, TOPS flat whistle to signal, AMK small signal mirror, Leatherman Blast, Res-Q-me, small two ended pocket screwdriver ( acceptable in venues where LM isn't ). If the LM is a security problem, substitute a smallish needle nose plier. Also a large EMT shears. (A great multipurpose cutting tool. Acceptable even to the TSA).

Next, my GHB needs to patch me up in case of small cuts, blisters,splinters, etc. A boo -boo kit. Self made dental first aid kit ( includes oil of cloves, Temperin, wax, cotton, tea bag) But it also needs a trauma kit ( mine=2 pad, 6"" Izzy Bandage, TK-4 tourniquet , large Quik-Clot Sponge,
10ft.. Gorilla tape( multi purpose), crinkle gauze pack, 5 4"x4"pads, 28 French nasal airway, chest seal bandage, vasoline sterile patch, 3pair nitrile gloves, hot ironed XL yellow bandanna packed in sterile breast milk bag (bandage/sling/mask/signal flag. Prescription meds as necessary, painKillers if Doc wiill give u a scrip, aspirin ( disaster areas are heart attack heavens), generics including Benedryl, pseudeophedrine, caffeine tabs, ( use the last two together for energy boost, if Doc says ur up to it), Advil, antibiotic ointment. etc.
Some carry prescribed antibiotics like Z -max and Cipro. If you or a family member needs it, an Epipen.

Now,I need support to do my walkout or (last resort) bed down: liner socks ( + smart wool in season), siltarp ultra lite poncho or plastic disposable, button compass, map is optional, No extra clothes. Dress appropriate to the weather at the start. Extra eye/ sunglasses, AMK reflective 2 person Mylar type blanket, 25' Kelar cord 400#, 25' Kevlar string, very small am-fm radio to get news/emergency instructions, at least $500 in small bills ( no one's making change in a disaster. It's hard to exaggerate the importance of cash. It can save your life in a mugging, buy an unavailable taxi ride, tow or hotel room in a blizzard, etc.

Minimal food for quick energy: M&Ms , Millennium Bar, energy gel packet. Water is more important. I carry a 27oz. Naglene bottle in a Camelbak insulated sleeve w. belt loop, nested in a small Ti cup. It's usually empty. Also 2 SR plastic water bags, flat folding coffee filter holder+ 3 filters, water pure tabs. 2 Seychelles Advanced water purifier straws. ( I may switch bottles and use a Seychelles Advanced purifier bottle, with the filter kept seperately in a zip lock, so as not to use it when clean water is available for the bottle. )

Miscellaneous gear includes, 90cu in nylon zip bag that be attached to bottom tabs to expand carry capacity, 2 24" cords w. Spring locks for use w. the lash tabs, waterproof pen+ marker, waterproof writing pad 3"x5", small Bic lighter (tape under tab to prevent accidental discharge of the gas), 5 Storm matches+ 2TinderTabs in a small sealed bag, P-38 can opener, very light Brunton Monocular, AND the sundries of everyday life, tissues, travel roll of toilet paper, Wet Wipes, Tide Pen, eye drops, Ricoli , small meds vial for everyday, inhaler, 1 oz. Purell hand sanitizer, floss sticks, ear plugs, flat brush, tums, gum, an expanded small sewing kit in a small zip loc,( hotel kit, sleeve button, xtra needles, some HD thread, needle threader, safety pins), wires and plugs for my cell phone and I -Pad for wall &scar charging. My cell phone has a Mophie aux. batt. Unit case.

All up its ~11lb.s. in my black Tom Binh Synapse with the added bottom lash tabs. Happy prepping.

Edited by acropolis5 (02/28/14 06:45 AM)

#267762 - 02/28/14 02:40 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Food for thought: Most of these people would have been on their way to work, some on the way home, and they ended up here. Many for hours, waiting on heated busses in -30C windy conditions. I understand that there are still vehicles being pulled outta there this morning.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/96-vehicles-in...288381481237582

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#267763 - 02/28/14 03:36 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

By limiting your definition of a GHB as only for urban commutes on mass transit you are telling guys like me that drive to find another acronym. A GHB is a bag designed to get you home in whatever situation you happen to be in. Some peeps like me don't use mass transit but we still need a GHB available, in our case we may only need to carry it one way and it might not have to carry any contents for the daily grind.

I commute in a small truck and use it as a base kit; it carries a lot and after a serious seismic event I can camp with it or use it to select items for a GHB. I'd never bug out with just a backpack, but getting home is something else.

Part of my truck kit is a Camelbak backpack with enough in it for an overnight. Your 10-12 pound limit is about right. Mine is closer to 15 lbs but that includes a full water bladder.

Some daily mass transit commuters may be limited to just what is in the bag on their back, others may have a drawer or cabinet in their office to keep supplemental GHB supplies.

Limiting this thread to only what is in Teacher's OP is fine if your goal is to carry your entire GHB on your daily commute; my goal is to have lots of options. I think we should keep the thread open to those options.

#267768 - 02/28/14 04:15 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My daily routine usually involves work commutes of five to ten miles, either by car or on a bike. There is always the possibility that I could remain at work overnight if unexpected demands occur. I like to stock both the vehicle and, to a more limited extent, the bicycle, with what I term "glitch" supplies - some water, snacks, small stove and pot, etc. Just enough that I can manage to hike home if I need to. I am always looking for clothing, especially shoes, that will be up to the task, but that are also adequate for an office casual setting.

I suppose that the worst case scenario for most of us Cali types would be trudging homeward through the smoke and flames - the aftermath of a significant earthquake.

Edited by hikermor (02/28/14 04:18 PM)

#267770 - 02/28/14 05:01 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

A good bike would be nice to have but mine doesn't go to work. However, following a major seismic event having a bike with the right tires would be a good thing and I'm not sure skinny road tires are the best option. I went with WTB Slickasaurus tires on my early 90's Cro-Moly mountain bike. Good on pavement but can handle pot-holes, curbs and other bad things much better than a pure road tire. They're not as fast though and that is the trade-off.

Edit: I may replace the Slickasaurus tires with a set of Continental Travel Contact. Slick on center line for asphalt and knobs on the edges for off-road. My bike was designed with clearance for 2+ inch knobbies so a 1.75" tire is not an issue.

#267771 - 02/28/14 05:48 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My GHB is an ongoing project for me! Here's what it looks like right now.

First a little background and some of the contents and considerations:

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

...I've basically looking at three possible (GHB) scenarios: (1)bugging in at the office; (2)bugging in at a friend's house between work and home; and (3)being stuck my the Jeep during the commute. As a result, I've made a 2 bag GHB set-up.

An office bug-in is highly unlikely, however, our warehouse is in an industrial manufacturing area, and the neighbourhood is bordered by a national railway and highway, and it also houses a nuclear power plant. I've got meds, FAK & hygiene, N95 masks, LED light, food, a couple of (full) water bottles, and a bunch of other little odds and ends stashed around my cubicle and the office kitchen, and think that with my EDC and the preps in my Jeep, I should be in good shape for a short bug-in before I can head home. A good friend lives around the corner, so if something should happen here, I'd likely try to make my way there, unless it's a chemical or nuclear accident, in which case I'm going to shelter in place.

Spending the night a friend's house or a local motel is much stronger possibility, in the event of something like the recent ice storm. I've got an overnight bag packed in a backpack, with two changes of clothes, a thermal under layer, toiletries, FAK, LED, enough cash for a motel room, etc. I also threw an MRE and a deck of cards in there, because I'd hate to couch surf and show-up empty handed.

Getting stuck on the road during my 63KM (one-way) commute is possible too. I always keep a small survival kit in there, along with extra hats, mitts, sweater, water, etc. I'm planning to take some short lunch-time hikes on the local trails, so my day hike pack is going to live in my Jeep along with my overnight bag and a wool blanket. It's got the basics of water, shelter, fire, food & cooking, FAK, signalling and knife/saw/headlamp/etc. in there.

The biggest thing I think I need to do right now is remember to bring my cel phone with my every day. I do have a charger in the Jeep and at the office, but after a year of barely using it, I've already forgotten it several times over the past two months. smirk

Current GHB/Dy Hike Kit Contents

Pack: Outbound Yukon 35L

Shelter: paracord, jute twine, 2 nylon GI style ponchos, AMK/SOL Bivvy, garbage bags, Thermarest Z-seat

Clothes: a ziplock bag with merino wool hiking socks, liner gloves, fleece-lined buff, flo orange thinsulate hat, a fleece vest, a wool poncho liner

Sharps: Mora LMF Fireknife, BG USK, Bacho Laplander saw, Gerber pocket sharpener, Gerber Suspension multi-tool
*The BGUSK is my chopper an batonner, and the Mora is my standard go to for a day hike.

Fire Kit: hexi/wetfire/esbit cubes, bic, match safe with SA matches & cotton balls, UCO stormproof matches & striker, tea light, PJ cotton balls and Altoids tin (with char cloth, fat wood, tampons, tinderquick, gorilla tape and ranger bands)

Food & Water: Nalgene, Canteen Kit (Canteen, canteen cup, canteen stove, esbit or wetfire tabs, 750 mL MSR Seagull (which holds my fire kit), DIY windscreen for stove, plastic kuska, folding cup, Sea to Summit Spork, bandana, Bag O Chow with extra ziplock bags (ramen, tuna, instant potatoes and bacon bits, instant oatmeal, jerky, a MH meal, clif bars, chocolate, hot chocolate, coffee, tang, koolaid)

Bag O Love: Resealable breast milk bag with BIC, water filter straw, MicroPUR tabs, extra breast milk bags, snare wire, AAA flashlight, mini folding knife, Gerber micro multi-tool, fatwood and a couple of wetfire tabs.

First Aid & Hygiene: AMK .7 FAK kit with added: mylar blanet, LED, triangular bandage, maxi pads, tampons, meds, MicroPUR tabs(4) and MRE TP, Burt's Bees lip balm, baby wipes, Tylenol, Benedryl, chemical body warmers and a bunch of bandaids

Misc: Peztl e+ headlight & spare batteries(2), ice cleats, insulated thermos, carabiners

Here's a recent peak inside the day hike pack part of my GHB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnoNOdK2yc&feature=em-upload_owner

#267772 - 02/28/14 05:55 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I find the bike option rather appealing in an emergency. Ideally, if I had to leave, I would start out with a vehicle containing supplies, including bike. If necessary,I could abandon the vehicle and continue via pedaling.

The appeal of the bicycle lies in its small size, the ability to be carried for short distances, and its general low profile. Properly equipped, it can carry a surprising load (remember Vietnam?).

I ride a touring bike (Surly Long Haul Trucker) with racks and 32 mm Vittoria touring tires. I have ridden 37mm tires and they are more versatile, able to deal with mild off pavement environments fairly well. I can count on 35 to 85 miles per day consistently,maybe up to 100 miles in a real push.

If necessary, you dump the bike, put out your thumb, and start walking.

#267773 - 02/28/14 06:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Surly Long Haul Trucker is on my list of things to buy when the opportunity presents. A very nice, well designed Cro-Moly frame. I could go on but then this GHB thread would morph into a thread on post-crisis bikes and tires. smile

#267775 - 02/28/14 10:25 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Imagine that -thread drift on ETS! I'm shocked, shocked, I tell you...

What we seem to be discussing are "get back home systems," or something like that. It clearly varies with individual circumstances, as it logically should....

#267777 - 02/28/14 10:45 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

True, and a get back home system which included a bike would possibly need much less in other supplies. For me to walk home would take a minimum of 10 hours. On a bike I could do that in 2-3 hours depending on how many times I was forced to get off and carry the bike -- 2 liters of water for the trip.

I'm not going to start carrying my bike to work just in case, but I can easily imagine me hoofing it to the bike shop near work and either buying or renting a bike for the duration. The other option would be to get half way through the walk and see that TREK sign in the shopping center I drive by on my way to work. A TREK 520 would work quite well depending on tires.

#267778 - 02/28/14 10:54 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

DackPacJac

Nice set up.
I would go with more food. And ditch one poncho, adding a light down or thinsulate sleeping bag and a ultra light bivy,
Did I hear you say that you have pj cotton balls in your match safe WITH your matches?

#267798 - 03/03/14 12:13 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Russ
A good bike would be nice to have but mine doesn't go to work. However, following a major seismic event having a bike with the right tires would be a good thing and I'm not sure skinny road tires are the best option. I went with WTB Slickasaurus tires on my early 90's Cro-Moly mountain bike. Good on pavement but can handle pot-holes, curbs and other bad things much better than a pure road tire. They're not as fast though and that is the trade-off.

Edit: I may replace the Slickasaurus tires with a set of Continental Travel Contact. Slick on center line for asphalt and knobs on the edges for off-road. My bike was designed with clearance for 2+ inch knobbies so a 1.75" tire is not an issue.

Yes, besides being great transportation in a lot of everyday situations bikes have the potential to come in handy after a lot of different disasters; check out the following links for examples: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2012/11/power-bicycles-disaster-recovery/3834/; http://bikeportland.org/2013/07/13/disaster-relief-trials-bring-30-miles-of-urban-apocalyptica-back-to-portland-90373; http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/departmen...nse-rally.html. I agree about skinny tires not being the best option for that application--think mixed-terrain riding, with wider tires that are flat-resistant. The Continental tires Russ linked to above seem ideal. In fact, I just put a set on a similar-type bike to the one he describes and am looking forward to testing them out when the ice and snow melt around here. Other considerations include how to carry things on the bike; a rear rack is best for this and you can use panniers (which can be made very inexpensively from square plastic buckets with lids and some simple hardware, and these are waterproof to boot), a milk crate or just bungee a backpack etc. on to the rack. You may also be able to add a front rack depending on the bike, and this will add capacity. Handlebar type is a personal preference, but flat bars (mountain bike type) can get uncomfortable after a certain amount of time so if your bike has these you might want to put on bar ends or switch to trekking (butterfly) bars which are compatible with mountain bike brake levers and shifters. Fenders will help keep you drier if you're riding in rain and puddles. A bike set up with the above will be great for commuting and errands, or even touring/camping, with the bonus of being potentially useful after a disaster.

#267799 - 03/03/14 01:05 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Jolt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The Michelin City Trekking tire may also be an excellent option and it comes in two widths for those who can't deal with fat tires -- it appears very puncture resistant. 36-87 psi is a fairly wide pressure range when compared to the 45-55 psi range of the Continental tire. But the Continental tire had lugs on the side for off-pavement. Things to consider.

IMO a bike is a great way to carry your GHB.

#267808 - 03/03/14 01:24 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

I also like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Folding Tyre. Very puncture resistant. Also don't forget the inner tubes. The Slime seal healing inner tubes also work well for those slow punctures.

Quote:
A TREK 520 would work quite well depending on tires.

In the UK the Dawes Galaxy range is very popular. The Dawes Galaxy Ultra is a nice bicycle. It is expensive though considering the mid range Shimano components.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/touringaudax-bikes/dawes-ultra-galaxy

i.e. The Reynolds 853 tubing will be twice as strong as the 4130 crome-moly tubing (equivalent to the old Reynolds 501 tubing)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/03/14 01:42 PM)

#267809 - 03/03/14 02:29 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone know of a bicycle rack pannier bag which just consists of a PALS Molle webbing carrier. It would allow me to add all manner of Molle Bags and pouches to added to the bicycle rack etc. If bicycling becomes impossible the Molle Bags/pouches can be transferred to a Molle Belt and shoulder harness.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (03/03/14 02:30 PM)

#267811 - 03/03/14 03:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Looks pretty well in order, to me. The only thing I might recommend considering, is a purpose designed tourniquet. There are some leaks compression bandages just wont plug, by themselves.

Look at the SOFTT-W and the SWAT-T tourniquets. They only weigh a few ounces. Cheap insurance.

Edited by barbarian (03/03/14 03:41 PM)

#267813 - 03/03/14 03:26 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

It would be far simpler, and actually weigh less, to just drop all of that molle crap into a nice large pannier and pull it out when you go pedestrian. I usually put a briefcase in one pannier, and a small, light day bag in the other when commuting.

You can probably deduce that I am not a molle fan - IMHO, it is unnecessarily heavy and cumbersome, of little use outside a battlefield, where I will grant it may have utility....

#267816 - 03/03/14 03:47 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Jolt]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Any bike will serve, especially if you push it through the dicey spots. The best is probably the bike with which you are familiar. If you want to go all out, you might consider a long tail cargo bike or similar, www.xtracycle.com/what-is-a-longtail with exceptional cargo capacity.

You will find that the right saddle will be extremely important, as well as proper (i.e., padded) cycling shorts or skivvies. You want lots of gears, the lower the better...I can guarantee that.

#267818 - 03/03/14 04:08 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

+1 on lots of low gears. For this reason alone I like my 21 speed mountain bike -- lots of low end gears for going up hill. You will also want plenty of eyelets for mounting the fenders and racks you may want, not all bikes have them.

Mostly what you need is a safe place to store your bike at work, lest you go for your get home escape route and find someone else has taken it home.

#267820 - 03/03/14 04:21 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am always looking for clothing, especially shoes, that will be up to the task, but that are also adequate for an office casual setting.

Try looking at these Rockports (standard disclaimers, no affiliations, just a happy customer). Or a similar style to suit your office environment and personal tastes, if you find the right pair they will feel almost as comfortable as your favorite walking shoes. I've worn Rockports like this for the last 12 years or so, now I am so spoiled I can't/won't wear anything else. I'm confident that mine will get me through the 10 mile walk home from work if necessary. YMMV

#267832 - 03/03/14 09:15 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Those Rockports look like winners. The soles might even have lugs, if the illustration is correct.

#267838 - 03/03/14 11:19 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

If those are the shoes I'm thinking of, the sole has grooves across to allow it to flex, Those aren't lugs, but it is a fairly high mileage sole.

#267879 - 03/05/14 06:30 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Walking the Ground is the ONLY Way to truly understand the obstacles in your way. Until you actually travel the kind of distance on the ground you want to, you cannot really gauge the obstacles in your way and therefore the type of equipment/gear you need to take with you to ensure you can complete the journey.
boreal.net

#267880 - 03/05/14 07:20 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Unfortunately, for some of us in SOCAL,the ground will be different after the major seismic event. Walking the fairly benign path now may be nothing like walking after. Which bridges are still intact and which ones collapsed? If we're lucky and the ground is still benign, I'll drive home.

#267910 - 03/06/14 06:02 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Unfortunately, for some of us in SOCAL,the ground will be different after the major seismic event. Walking the fairly benign path now may be nothing like walking after. Which bridges are still intact and which ones collapsed? If we're lucky and the ground is still benign, I'll drive home.

Particularly in freeway dense areas like Southern California, the issue of collapsed under/overpasses and bridges could be a real hassle, even for people on foot. And if there is still vehicular traffic on the freeways, finding a safe detour over the freeway(s) on the way home could add a lot of extra mileage and time to your "get home" adventure.

#267919 - 03/06/14 11:47 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Originally Posted By: Arney

Particularly in freeway dense areas like Southern California, the issue of collapsed under/overpasses and bridges could be a real hassle, even for people on foot. And if there is still vehicular traffic on the freeways, finding a safe detour over the freeway(s) on the way home could add a lot of extra mileage and time to your "get home" adventure.

Like so many things in life, timing is everything. Just wait for rush hour, and the freeways become very long parking lots....

#267924 - 03/07/14 04:09 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, plan for a very pessimistic miles per hour in car or on foot. - See Atlanta during recent storms.

#268110 - 03/15/14 06:03 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

adding cash, meds, contacts ( sunglasses) tiny FM radio
phone charger ( battery)

I wonder is a frms radio would be worth it?

#268120 - 03/15/14 09:27 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I traded in points for a weather radio at a store. It's fine for am/fm and listening to people on 2 way radios, but I never have found a single weather band on the airwaves with it.

#268134 - 03/16/14 12:05 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Deathwind]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
NOAA WX freqs
7 primary channels
162.400 MHz to 162.550MHz in 25MHz increments

#268151 - 03/16/14 02:03 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I wonder is a frms radio would be worth it?

FRS, GMRS and MURS don't have much the in way of range. If you are keeping in touch with someone specific they make sense, if you're hoping to find someone, you may find it more challenging.

I have an amateur radio HT in each car -- this presupposes that you can get a ham license, which isn't that hard. The HT's have much better range when there is no repeater in reach and there is an established calling frequency that hams use to contact one another. With a working repeater, you can cover MUCH wider areas (and hams will be easy to find). The HT's are programmed with FRS, GMRS, MURS and some of the more useful Marine VHF frequencies, locked out so that one cannot accidentally transmit on them (the radio is not type-accepted for those services). In a life-threatening emergency the transmit lockout can be removed.

The HTs are also programmed to receive broadcast radio and weather radio frequencies.

Not bad for a radio that costs less than $50.

#268155 - 03/16/14 03:57 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Les

I've spent a few hours scrolling up and down the dedicated weather channel dial and have found nothing but 2 way chatter on it.

Chaos

Where were you when I asked this question in my PFD thread?
Do you have a link to the radios you described, please? I was poking around a survivalist site (I know, they're nuts, but they do have some good information. Sometimes.) One of them was asking for a tiny, flip phone sized Ham radio he could place in a PSK. I liked the idea myself. Would you know if there is anything like that out there?
Thanks

#268157 - 03/16/14 05:31 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I've spent a few hours scrolling up and down the dedicated weather channel dial and have found nothing but 2 way chatter on it.

That's nothing less than shocking. The FCC Enforcement Bureau is shorthanded but highly competent. Intentional violators who attract their attention are going to get caught. I can't think of too much that would get them to come find you more quickly than intentionally transmitting on weather frequencies. Is it possible that your radio is incorrectly tuned or malfunctioning in some other way?

Quote:
Where were you when I asked this question in my PFD thread?

Patagonia, visiting my buddy Roberts.

Quote:
Do you have a link to the radios you described, please? I was poking around a survivalist site (I know, they're nuts, but they do have some good information. Sometimes.) One of them was asking for a tiny, flip phone sized Ham radio he could place in a PSK. I liked the idea myself. Would you know if there is anything like that out there?
Thanks

It is legal for non-hams to own Amateur Radio gear but it is illegal for non-hams to transmit with it. It's also illegal to transmit on FRS, GMRS, MURS and public safety frequencies with radios that aren't type-accepted for those services. This radio is not type-accepted for those services. I've seen public safety agencies use radios like this one on their assigned frequencies and get in trouble for it.

So with all those legal cautions out of the way, it's a Baofeng UV-5R. Now some technical cautions. This radio is VERY challenging to program from the keypad, and I state this as a long-time ham and IT professional who is used to programming crazy things. I would strongly urge you to use programming software and a cable. It isn't especially easy to program that way either. Also, the stock antenna isn't very good, you can get significantly improved performance by adding a better one, such as a Nagoya SMA NA-701 or better still a roll-up J-pole. You can program a memory to not be able to transmit by leaving the transmit frequency blank (ie GMRS / FRS Channel 1 has a receive frequency of 462.56250 and a transmit frequency left blank).

Weather channels start at 162.400 MHz and go up by 0.025 MHz to 162.550 MHz for seven channels total.

#268158 - 03/16/14 05:45 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
That's nothing less than shocking...I can't think of too much that would get them to come find you more quickly than intentionally transmitting on weather frequencies.

I was thinking the same thing. I listen to NOAA weather radio regularly and I have never heard anything other than NOAA annoucements.

I'm wondering if maybe Deathwind has a two-way radio that also includes the weather channels? In that case, he might be listening in on the FRS/GMRS channels and hearing the chatter on those freqs? Just a thought.

#268168 - 03/16/14 10:00 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Arney]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Arney

No it's a weather radio, that's why I got it. No idea why it does what it does, unless it's not set right as AKSAR suggested. It has no transmitting abilities.

AKSAR

Sound's a bit too complicated for my limited abilities, I'd probably have to hire it done. I'll continue to look for a very small radio to go in my PSK. I prefer the idea of actually speaking to a live person than hoping a PLB is working and that someone will come see if I need extraction.

#268172 - 03/16/14 10:58 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
AKSAR

Sound's a bit too complicated for my limited abilities, I'd probably have to hire it done. I'll continue to look for a very small radio to go in my PSK. I prefer the idea of actually speaking to a live person than hoping a PLB is working and that someone will come see if I need extraction.
I think you may have me confused with Chaosmagnet? smile

#268185 - 03/17/14 01:43 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Oooopps sorry AKSAR. Dealing with multiple reply's it was bound to happen sooner or later.

#268504 - 03/24/14 04:13 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm starting a new gig at work this week - working out of the office, out of my Jeep. I'm really looking forward to it, and feel very well set-up in terms of being prepared for an emergency with my current get home kit.

For the next week or two, though, 'll be working with different technicians, out of their vehicles. I hate the idea of jumping from vehicle to vehicle, and possibly forgetting the bag in the process, so, inspired by this thread, I'm going to leave my current GHB in my Jeep at the office and build a new temporary kit to take with me.

I didn't want to start a new thread to rehash the same stuff, so I thought I'd share a look at what I'm thinking right now.

My primary concerns are getting these priorities into one small backpack. I don't have funds to buy new gear, so I'm using my old summer day hike pack and unused gear that's stored around the house.

Pack

*I'm using my old summer day hike bacpack: a $30 Broadstone 25L Sport Day Pack. It's held up well to near daily use over the past year:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-sport-day-pack-25-l-0760630p.html#.Uy-qt2PyBpg

Clothing
*I'll be wearing seasonally appropriate durable layers, but need a back-up layer as well as rain gear, for added warmth and in case I get wet.
*I'm on the hunt for a pair of steel-toed boots that I can comfortably hike in.

*Extra work t-shirt
*Fleece-lined Thinsulate watch cap
*Fleece-lined wool mitts
*Army surplus wool socks
*Polyfil jacket
*Poncho
*Bandanna

FAK & Hygene
*All vehicles have a office inspected (I am the inspector. wink ) FAK, so I need and IFAK for personal use.

*Bandanna
*Maxi pads
*Gauze pads
*Bandaids
*Tampons
*ACE bandage
*Polysporin
*Purelle
*Tweezers
*Xcalpel blade in Altoids tin PSK
*Personal meds X3 days
*Dental floss

Shelter
*I need to prepare to shelter in place in a vehicle (in sub-freezing temperatures) or a friend/co-worker's place.
*I may also face a walk to get back to the office and my vehicle. (We're going to be within about 65kms of the office at any given time.)

*Contactor's bags X3
*Clear plastic drop sheet
*Mylar blanket
*Paracord
*Chemical hand warmers
*Cordage in Altoids tin PSK

Water
*I'll bring a water bottle and a thermal bottle of coffee with me every day, so this kit needs to be able to make water potable.
*There are lots of rivers, streams and creeks around, as well as Lake Ontario, and we've also still got snow to melt.

*Canteen kit (Canteen, cup, stove & aluminum foil)
*MicroPUR tabs in Altoids tin PSK
*Bandanna

Fire
*We'll be in residential, commercial and industrial areas so being able to boil water is be a must, as is heat to combat the cold.

*BIC lighter
*Ferro rod on EDC keyring
*Waterproof container of hexicubes
*Altoid's tin PSK with: BICs, ferro rods, DOAN bar, sparklite, tinderquick, jute twine, candle....)

Food
*I'll bring my lunch and snacks every day, so this kit wants to be set up with an extra meal or two and some extra snacks in case of an unexpected lay-over.

*Retort pack of ready-to-eat rice
*Retort pack of tuna in oil
*2 stick beef jerky
*2 Clif bars
*2 packs hot chocolate
*2 packs instant 2-1 coffee

Communications & Navigation
*Reflective safety clothing (pants and vest is work requirement.

*Cel phone
*Cel phone charger
*Map and compass *I'll hopefully upgrade to a GPS soon
*Notebook, pen, pencil and sharpie
*Extra safety vest
*Change for pay phones wink
*Whistles (on keyring and in PSK)

Tools
*I'll be EDCing my Leatherman Wave, which has a maglite solitare and ferro rod (connected with braided jute twine)

*CRKT MT. Rainier folder
*Mini maglite and extra batteries
*LED headlamp and extra batteries
*Mini pry bar
*PSK, in a digital camera bag: mag bar, mini bic, Fox 40 slim, duct tape, a squeeze LED, tea light, and an Altoids tin PSK, which has - safety pins, jute twine, birthday candle, 4 MicroPUR tabs and a bunch of the components of the DR AMK Pocket Survival Kit (sparklite, tinderquick, cordage/thread, snare wire, scalpel blade, button compass, fishing kit)

#268506 - 03/24/14 11:45 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Good luck with the steely toed hikers. I did have such a pair - back in the 60s. They were great,after a suitable breakin period. My most recent pair, not so great. Adequate toe room is a must.

#268507 - 03/24/14 12:35 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jacqui... my Fenix E05 is a quantum leap ahead of my old Maglight Solitare

#268518 - 03/24/14 05:48 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

given our phones are a multi-use tool these days, I might suggest an external cell phone battery.

#268521 - 03/24/14 07:16 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Chaos... glad you caught my mistake... the NOAA WX freq range
162.550 MHz

I have two dedicated WX alert radios... after Martin said he had problems with his Midland W300, I though I had the same problem, but it was my error, as I had programmed a local repeater, and not the main station in Riverview, Fla...the repeater went down, I thought the radio had crashed, and didn't notice the freq change until after I purchased a Reecom R1630 without the AM/FM ability...the Midland works best with the antenna horizontal, the Reecom vertical...

#268527 - 03/25/14 01:13 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

You might wish to consider a bit kit to go along with the Wave, along with some work gloves....

#268556 - 03/26/14 03:30 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have added an Esbit Stove and Esbit tabs to my E&E Kit/GHB. Life is too short to go without coffee.

#268559 - 03/26/14 04:06 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: wildman800]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: wildman800
..... Life is too short to go without coffee.
You got that right!

#268560 - 03/26/14 05:13 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: AKSAR]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Originally Posted By: wildman800
..... Life is too short to go without coffee.
You got that right!

+1.

If there's one thing I really like it's coffee. Not that I need fancy stuff, Eight O'Clock, Sam's Club brand, even store brand is fine with me. I grind mine in a burr grinder daily. I think that makes a big difference in the taste and use a one cup french press. Usually a minimum of two cups a day (used to be minimum of two pots a day), more in winter.

When we used to go camping with the scouts, I bought a JetBoil just so I could make that quick cup of coffee in the AM. I tell you, it made me an instant hit with the moms. grin

I actually tried a cup of tea for the first time in years, several nights ago, and it just doesn't do anything for me. Always too watery for my taste, even if I use two tea bags.

Coffee just seem to have a 'body' to it. Maybe it's the oils.

-b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#268575 - 03/26/14 01:18 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Coffee in the morning is proof that I am still in a civilized world!!!

#268938 - 04/10/14 06:44 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well thought out:

another GHB article -

#268976 - 04/11/14 04:43 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
chickenlittle Offline

One thing I am not seeing listed or mentioned in the get home supplies is a map.
It does not need to be too fancy but it should have major landmarks and obstacles marked on it.
Knowing where bridges are might save you a few miles hiking if you have to cross a river.

#268988 - 04/11/14 04:58 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have both road and VFR (aviation) maps/charts.

#269258 - 04/19/14 08:54 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on the map. They are getting harder to find; and I like to have city, state( atlas) and public transit maps available in paper.

#269264 - 04/19/14 11:47 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You can get VFR charts at the Flight Services Desk at any decent sized airport.

#269270 - 04/20/14 01:11 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Since a good percentage of the get home scenarios involve travel over paved surfaces, what are everybodies thoughts on folding adult kick scooters, i.e. the Xootr Street? I haven't been able to get any good data on speeds and calorie expenditures, but it seems that they would be more efficient then walking and portable enough for mass transit.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269275 - 04/20/14 04:57 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
chickenlittle Offline

I find the city maps to be OK so long as I take the time to make a few notes on them. Most of my notes are landmarks, bridges, distances, and alternate paths.
I often just use tourist or transit maps because they are cheap, often free. Sometimes I just do a sketch map in my fieldbook.

You can download topo maps from USGS and use them to make your own maps.
http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html

or for Canada
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/index.html

#269286 - 04/20/14 04:10 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm in South Lousy-anna and I find the most important item missing from most city maps are the large drainage ditches or Coulees as we call them. I have started making mental notes of those and will soon start tracing them out on my city map.

#269294 - 04/21/14 03:03 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Scooters - see new thread

#275029 - 05/02/15 10:56 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

my current bag is mostly food, water and shoes...

#275033 - 05/03/15 01:48 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Shelter, water, fire and food are in mine, along with some sharps, combustibles, cordage and a first aid kit for good measure.

#275035 - 05/03/15 03:58 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My GHB has been cut down to a minimum. It is now just a glorified E&E Kit. It's got the bare essentials for an extremely long walk home. I'm getting old and the weight has gotten too much to make ten miles a day after day after day.

#275060 - 05/06/15 03:48 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

wildman800, don't tease! A list man. A list if you please?

#275065 - 05/06/15 04:01 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OOPS!!!!!!!!! This is the list of what I carried when I left my actual E&E kit at home cause I thought I would have to fly commercially. I'll make a list when I get on the boat and will then post it. Sorry for the confusion.... Bo

This is most of my E&E kit with a list of items that I could take off the boat IF I had to walk home:

MINIMUM E&E KIT

EDC:
SAK,
Bic lighters,
bandanna's,
multi tool,
flashlights,
magnesium bar w/flint & striker,
P-38,
2 spare AA batteries,
smart phone,
NukAlert,
button compass,
ink pen,
some cash,
a medium size Polish Army pouch, carabiners,
55gal trash bag,
1qt canteen,
16' of paracord,
an Israeli Messenger Bag, appropriate clothing,
small pocket flask.
Blanket
MOPP Bag
VFR Topo Charts of 26 states

THE BOAT:
comforters (bedding),
12'x12' blue tarps (shelter),
fire axes (weapon & tool),
all types of food,
bottled water,
60ft of 3/8th's inch nylon rope,
3inch lines (For small stuff)
small boat w/5gals of gas,
kitchen cookware & utensils,
55gal & 35gal trash bags,
1qt & 1gal ziplock bags,
toilet paper
Coffee filters
VHF-FM handheld radio
Mechanic's wire coil
Wire ties
Bungee cords
Mini pry bars

Edited by wildman800 (05/06/15 09:10 PM)

#275088 - 05/08/15 02:53 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As I promised above, here is my E&E Kit:

BELT
7" KABAR sheath knife
Hacksaw Blade
Large enameled steel cup
1 pk DATREX Emergency rations
1 paracord bracelet
1 small carabiner
2 Polish Army Pouches
Folding hand trowel
Poncho-#4 Woodland pattern
Lensatic compass
55gal trashbag
small binoculars
Sm flask
Mimi Mag Light
Folding Lockblade
2 spools thread
2 key rings
Pkg of sewing needles
Dental Floss
6 pks coffee
3 pks serving packets
1st Aid Kit: individual, US Army
Radio Pouch
Doug Ritter PSK

2QT CANTEEN POUCH on sling
Water purification tablets
HoBo knife with sheath
Small carabiner
Wet Ones (travel pack)
Canteen cup lid
1qt canteen
Canteen cup
Canteen stove
Leather lacing
1 bandanna
Credit card survival tool
Bx of Esbit tabs
2 Bic lighters

MOPP BAG
Blanket
VFR Charts (26 states)
3 MRE's

#275091 - 05/10/15 12:25 AM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: hikermor]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Good luck with the steely toed hikers. I did have such a pair - back in the 60s. They were great,after a suitable breakin period. My most recent pair, not so great. Adequate toe room is a must.

Danner makes some pretty good ones; I recently tried on a pair at a camping store. A web search for "Danner safety toe work boots" will show some good links.

#275094 - 05/10/15 08:57 PM Re: Building a Get Home Bag GHB [Re: Lono]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Lono
Kelty MAP 3500 - http://www.amronintl.com/kelty-map-3500-three-day-assault-pack.html. I have 3 of them, nice bags.

Me, too. Make that me 2. I own two of 'em, one is my official deployment bag, and the other is my BOB. It's the only bag in this size/volume range that I could find that is capable of carrying a heavy load via a full-on, real-deal, internal frame suspension and hip belt that is capable of shifting the load correctly to the hips, with a full range of adjustment. I also like that it doesn't look military or "tacti-cool."

Here is an old photo of my Kelty MAP 3500 in use as my BOB. [for some reason, I can no longer access my old identity and had to create a new one]

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Here is my current version of a BOB/GHB:

Top row: TP, trowel, microfiber towel, hygiene kit(soap, toothbrush, paste, deodorant, scrubbie) sunblock, DEET, alcogel, notebook, pen, compass, magnifier, Mora knife, saw, bug net, siltarp kit, biohazard bag, paracord, rainsuit, mosquito head net.

Middle row: Fubar tool, hardhat, gloves, goggles, biohazard suit, SW radio, duct tape, headlight, cellphone charger, repair kit, monocular, sharpener, 2 heetsheets, FAK, bandannas.

Bottom row: Fishing kit, food gathering kit, fuel, cookset, alcohol stove, stand, lighter, p-38, utensils, Nalgene bottle, Gatoraide, MRE, ration pack (lifeboat rations, coffee, hard candy, power bars, etc.), nylon bucket, platypus Big Zip 2L.

In pack: 2 3L water bladders with inline filter and iodine solution, Blaze orange rain cover.

In car with kit: Complete change of clothes/uniforms, cheapo mummy sleeping bag, Henry Survival rifle with 250 rounds .22 Stingers and cleaning kit, pistol, various tools, flashlights, FAK, mini survival kit, extra water, etc.

Not shown: USB in match safe, maps, essential documents.

Here's what is in the food gathering kit:

Top row: Sigg Alu box

Middle row: magnifier, whistle, razor knife, Mg/flint/striker, lifeboat matches, fauxton, compass, wire saw, duct tape, aluminum foil, tinder cubes, fish/bird/animal net.

Bottom Row: Spare snare/utility wire, mini fishing kit, several Thompson snares and Speedhooks, fishing line and supplies.

Comments encouraged!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.