The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#267717 - 02/26/14 11:16 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I haven't heard of any exemptions, but I can't say for sure. I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be any for permit holders since there really isn't an equivalent up here (handguns can be transported, locked up, to & from an approved range and that's about it with very few exceptions).

That said, I'm not a firearms licence holder & don't have any firearms myself so I'm likely not the most versed on all the regulations. That said, from the earlier link, non-restricted firearms (rifles (not an AR), shotguns) seem a lot easier to bring into the country than restricted ones (like handguns).

#267718 - 02/26/14 11:34 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Denis]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Actually, I guess that information only makes sense assuming you know the difference between non-restricted, restricted and prohibited firearms (the latter I'm guessing you shouldn't even try bringing across the border). Here is an RCMP FAQ that outlines the basic differences between these categories (like barrel length & calibre) and magazine restrictions. As they mention, firearms can also be classified as restricted or prohibited by name as well, that list is here.

#267725 - 02/27/14 03:50 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Do you know if they make exceptions for American LEO's and or permit holders?

Permit holders get exactly no additional handgun privileges in Canada. I'm not a LEO but I believe that you need to be on official business and have things arranged in advance for the appropriate credentials to have a handgun in Canada as a LEO.

I would strongly advise against traveling to Canada with any firearms before working things out appropriately with the embassy or consulate. I suspect your handguns just aren't welcome there.

#267726 - 02/27/14 03:55 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Thanks for the information. The Fastfind sounds ideal and with some juggling I think I can budget it. Too bad they don't have a compact waterproof radio which combines all the various bands.

The FCC has never type-accepted a radio that can transmit on both marine and aviation bands. I have radios that can do that, but like I mentioned I'm a ham and I know better than to transmit on those frequencies. My radios are locked (either by the manufacturer or by me) to be unable to do so.

SAR aircraft will almost certainly have marine radios aboard, where boats almost never have aviation radios. If you're not a pilot or a ham, the marine radio is a better bet. Not that it would do you any good in the interior.

#267776 - 02/28/14 10:28 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Aksar

Yeah, I knew we'd have to ditch the parkas. I was thinking wearing them under would let us be prepared without drawing attention from the other passengers.

#267783 - 03/01/14 02:15 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Aksar

Yeah, I knew we'd have to ditch the parkas. I was thinking wearing them under would let us be prepared without drawing attention from the other passengers.
You never said anything much about what kind of boat you will be on. That makes it rather hard to give good advice. I thought you meant you would be on a small private boat (power or sail), but it is beginning to sound like you will be on one of the regular larger tour boats?

If so, you probably don't need to bring your own PFD at all. The tour boats are all well equipped with proper PFDs. Before you depart the dock, the crew usually give a quick briefing about where the vests are stashed, how to put them on, etc. If they don't brief you, ask. The larger tour boats are also well equipped with rafts. In the unlikely event of trouble, you would probably be better off not using an inflatable PFD which would require shedding your jacket. Keep you jacket on, you will want it even if you go in the drink. Just put one of the boat's big PFDs on over your jacket. You will be much warmer if you end up in a raft.

Another reason not to bring your own inflatable if you fly commercial up to Alaska is that the CO2 cartriges can cause problems with airline security. Apparently TSA doesn't object, but leaves it up to each individual airline. Some airlines allow them, some don't. See http://www.inflatablepfd.com/faqs.html. Sailors have had lots of trouble with this, for example see Cruisers Forum. If you do want to bring them, definately check with your airline in advance. Otherwise you may need to aquire re-arm kits when you get to Anchorage.

If you really really want to bring your own PFD for riding on a tour boat, and want to be relatively inconspicuous, you might want to consider a "float coat". Check out the Catalyst Flotation Jacket or the Integrity Vest. They look nice, like ordinary clothes, they are warm, and are USCG approved Type III PFDs. The coats, in particular are also good because they provide some insulation in the water, and can increase your survival time. Standard disclaimers, I have no connection with Mustang other than having used and liked their products.

#267784 - 03/01/14 02:52 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

AKSAR
As always, great advice.
Commercial boats manly. My friend has a motorized sailboat. So does my other friend who will be going to the islands.
I had thought of the mustang float coat when I began my search for a tactical PFD. I have seen them in catalogues and on some morning news show.
They look great and blend in. The only thing that would make them better is pockets inside and the twenty or so pockets outside that I see on some winter jackets and vests.
Thanks

#267787 - 03/01/14 03:44 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I had thought of the mustang float coat when I began my search for a tactical PFD. .....They look great and blend in. The only thing that would make them better is pockets inside and the twenty or so pockets outside ......
Alaskans tend to be rather casual and "do your own thing" about clothes, but twenty or so pockets on the outside might not blend in all that well, even up here! wink

In any case, have fun on your trip. smile

#267788 - 03/01/14 04:25 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The float coats I have used are the older models, but they are great - as comfortable as a normal jacket and very good on the water, especially with a beavertail (storm flap).

#267789 - 03/01/14 04:38 AM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks. I like to carry plenty of gear. I'll take a look at the float oat.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.