The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#267705 - 02/26/14 09:26 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My wallet voted to carry a marine VHF radio because the most likely responders would have marine VHF.

Pick your radio on who is most likely going to hear your call. A call on marine VHF Ch.16 from somewhere in interior Alaska is unlikely to get a response.

#267706 - 02/26/14 09:40 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: chaosmagnet]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Chaos
Thanks for the information. The Fastfind sounds ideal and with some juggling I think I can budget it. Too bad they don't have a compact waterproof radio which combines all the various bands.

#267707 - 02/26/14 09:41 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Russ
Thanks

#267708 - 02/26/14 09:45 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
..... I am however going to invest in a few vests. I'm looking at the Switlick for the boat since space and getting off the boat is less limited. For future flying I'm considering the mesh vest I was linked to over an inflatable.
As for the pistol I had considered a Taurus .44 magnum or a .454 Casull magnum ......
You haven't said much about your itinary, or how you will be traveling to Alaska. If you are coming by boat, you will presumably be going up the Inside Passage through Canadian waters. If by auto you will be driving up the Alcan. If either is the case, you definately need to check into Canadian regulations regarding firearms. Handguns in particular are highly restricted in Canada. Way back in the day, people tell me that the Canadian Customs agent would just seal your 44 when you entered Canada, and as long as the seal wasn't broken while passing through Canada there was no problem. In more recent years this has changed, and my understanding is that these days, getting a permit to transport your handgun through Canada is a major hassle. More than a few Alaskan pilots have gotten themselves into trouble with their survival pistol while flying to or from Alaska. I think most long guns are not such a big problem.

Best to check well in advance with the Canadian authorities about the necessary paperwork. If you do not have your permits in order, you risk getting the gun confiscated, and prosecution. Obviously if you are not driving or sailing up this isn't an issue.

Edited by AKSAR (02/26/14 09:47 PM)

#267709 - 02/26/14 10:00 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...Fastfind runs around $250...

ACR ResQLink is not much more --- $272. They're both good, but the ACR unit "feels" better to me. I have no objective rationale for thinking that.

I had a FastFind in my flight bag and I currently have an ACR ResQLink tethered to my vest. My neighbor who takes his sport fishing boat off-shore has what was formerly my FastFind. When it came time to reregister I let him put it in his name.

#267711 - 02/26/14 10:15 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Best to check well in advance with the Canadian authorities about the necessary paperwork. If you do not have your permits in order, you risk getting the gun confiscated, and prosecution.

American's crossing into Canada and neglecting to declare their firearms makes the news every now & again ... best case it seems like you are looking at a $10,000 fine and some time in jail.

This US Embassy page seems to have a good summary of what you need to do to bring firearms into Canada. Of note, they say the following under the heading "Transport through Canada to/from Alaska": The easiest way to transport firearms is to have any firearm(s) crated and shipped to your destination via commercial carrier.

#267712 - 02/26/14 10:45 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

AKSAR
I have no desire to go to Canada. We were thinking of flying in. Now that I've scrapped the idea of flying into my friends cabin we have to reschedule a bit. Mostly be on land but she wants to go on a few boat rides, figure we can wear inflatables and survival vests under our parkas?
While ice and seals and polar bears are pretty I much prefer the warmer climes.

#267713 - 02/26/14 10:47 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Russ.
I hear you. I can go through a rack of guns of the same make and model and one will feel better to me than the rest. I thought I was just strange about that. Thanks for the info and the link. I'll check it out.

#267714 - 02/26/14 10:48 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Denis
Do you know if they make exceptions for American LEO's and or permit holders?

#267715 - 02/26/14 11:04 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Mostly be on land but she wants to go on a few boat rides, figure we can wear inflatables and survival vests under our parkas?
You DO NOT want to wear your inflatable under your parka! Unless you take the parka off first, before inflating, there would be no room for the air bladders to inflate. They are generally meant to be worn outside of all clothing.

The bladders expand and get very large when inflated. That's why the inflatable vest have so much more buoyancy than conventional PFDs. If you were to inflate it under a parka, the bladder wouldn't have room to inflate properly. It also would probably also severely constrict your breathing.

Edited by AKSAR (02/26/14 11:05 PM)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.