The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267664 - 02/25/14 05:05 PM suggestions for good rain gear
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I found this coat and these matching bibs at sportsman's guide (no affiliations, standard disclaimers). I'm not looking for a "break the bank" set of goretex gear, just something reasonably priced, reusable, somewhat comfortable gear to put on at scouting events when it rains. All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

#267677 - 02/25/14 09:35 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
That stuff looks like it would really keep you dry but might not breathe very well.

#267678 - 02/25/14 11:50 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1,although I wonder about a back vent and grommets. In a hard rain,the water will find its way in.

I have heard good things about these: https://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/DriDucks.shtm

but I have no experience with them (It isn't raining in SoCal these days). The price is right and they are light weight.

There really isn't any such thing as truly rainproof garments, but gore-tex and e-vent come close. If you are sedentary, PVC will keep you dry, but not if you are moving.

#267679 - 02/26/14 12:03 AM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio

Price point certainly looks great on those.

Please post a follow-up review if you get them and try them out.

Here in Ohio I almost always carry at least a Waterproof-breathable jacket. Even in the summers here it can rain and cool down quickly and it generally seems to rain a lot here, at least it seems to whenever I can make some time to go out.

-b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#267681 - 02/26/14 01:16 AM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I would look at some of the Sportsmans Guide surplus NATO GoreTex like laminate.. my German flectar camo works pretty well.. but with the high partial pressure from water vapor in Florida, even my real GoreTex is not ideal

for serious rain gear... Helly Hansen

#267684 - 02/26/14 03:07 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

yeah, that always seems to be the trade-off with cheap rain gear vs the more expensive stuff, just don't have it in my budget right now to get something more expensive like goretex, maybe later on I can look into that

#267685 - 02/26/14 03:08 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

hikermor, that looks like a good set of raingear. now i am rethinking my selection.

#267686 - 02/26/14 03:14 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: buckeye]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

buckeye, whichever set I go with, I'll post a review here later, with campouts galore and summer camp coming relatively soon, I should encounter at least ONE rainy situation I'm sure, wouldn't be a scouting event without some rain

I grew up in ohio but am now living in kentucky, but I am right there with ya bro. I always have at least a semi-water resistant light windbreaker with me during the rainy seasons. I also carry an emergency poncho with me, and daily I carry a good umbrella to and from work.

#267687 - 02/26/14 03:30 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: LesSnyder]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

les thanks for the tips, I checked sportsamn's guide and can't find the surplus NATO GoreTex like laminate, apparently they don't carry it anymore, but will keep an eye out for it. Does helly hansen make their stuff in tall sizes? that was one of the other appeals to the original jacket and bibs I posted was that they were available in a tall size

#267688 - 02/26/14 03:56 PM Re: suggestions for good rain gear [Re: Mark_F]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Contrary to another poster, my GoreTex has never leaked. I bought a GoreTex parka before a trip to Alaska. While there I experienced some torrential downpours and never had any leaks. It is now 14 years old and still hasn't leaked. I highly recommend it. It is well worth the price IMHO.

Remember that getting wet can be life threatening due to the chance of hypothermia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.