Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#267622 - 02/22/14 06:40 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Deathwind
Maybe I'll pass on Alaska and just go to the islands rather than flying there to meet them. Thanks for the advice.
Alaska is an incredible place, and I think you should visit. And while bush flying has its risks, it is also by far the best way to get out and see and experience some of that amazing country. You won't regret it.

Regarding Jerry's, mine, and other's comments about gear, I don't think any of us were saying not to bring a larger knife, firearm, or other survival gear. No one is suggesting those things wouldn't be extremely useful in a survival situation. Rather it is a matter the best way to carry that stuff when flying.

Every situation is different, and one must do a careful risk/reward analysis of each situation. Flexible thinking is critical to any survival situation. The discussion was about balancing the reward of carrying a lot of stuff in/on your vest versus the risk of entrapment if you need to exit the plane quickly. When I fly in the bush, I keep a few small critical items in my pockets. The rest of my survival gear goes in a small day pack which I keep in the most accessible location feasible in whatever type aircraft I'm in.

In a worst case situation (the plane is sinking fast or on fire) my first priority is to be able to get out of the aircraft quick. I'm alive and I have enough stuff in my pockets to get a fire going and survive at least for awhile till rescued. If the wreckage remains afloat or isn't totally consumed by fire, I still have the chance to retrieve the rest of my gear.

Edited by AKSAR (02/22/14 06:59 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity and more info

#267623 - 02/22/14 06:57 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Now that you've mentioned a daypack for survival gear you've reminded me to start a thread on a daypack.
Besides the survival gear I carry on terra firma in my pack, fanny pack or a belt pouch, I also carry an Altoids kit, small survival items in my pockets such as swiss army knife, mini multi tool, matches in safe, lighter, tinder, flashlight. whistle, ration bar, etc. And wear a survival necklace sometimes, so I get you on the pocket gear. I also have a pair of short, more a swimsuit, with multiple pockets full of gear and a space blanket I throw in my travel gear just in cade.
Unfortunatly I can no longer run wild and free and just take chances with my safety like I did when I was young and dumb. I have a wife and child I have to provide for. You seem well experienced at this and give good advice.

#267624 - 02/22/14 07:09 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A big survival knife and a firearm (preferably a serious caliber rifle) would be great in a survival situation on land, but we were discussing aviation survival -- at least I was. First you need to egress the aircraft intact and predominantly uninjured before you are allowed to do battle with the beasts.

My survival priority was: 1) Egress, 2) Flotation, 3) Signaling.

For egress the idea was to minimize the bulk of what I carried to make swimming and getting outside the aircraft expediently. Flotation is fairly straightforward, but for that I went to Switlik which must be considered one of the leaders in the field. I went heavy on signaling, with lights, mirrors, flares, a VHF Marine radio and a PLB. No, you can't rely on the pilot to carry one. The aircraft may have an ELT but it may sink with the aircraft. So I carried my own.

A big knife and gun are great if you're on your own, but a PLB will get you out of the situation and it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter than two big pieces of steel.

$.02, YMMV

#267626 - 02/22/14 07:16 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Russ,

I think we are more or less in agreement. Surviving the crash and getting out of the aircraft are priority One. If you don't accomplish those, then nothing else matters.

#267630 - 02/22/14 07:44 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

AKSAR -- Agree, we're on the same page. That last post wasn't aimed at you, just trying to be clear. Some people tend to lose track of priorities and I wanted to lay out my priorities. Knowing what you realistically expect greatly helps fine tune gear selection.

If I were to go down in an aircraft over-land, the vest doesn't have a fire kit, food, water or any provision for shelter. They totally fell off my requirements list for this kit. OTOH, other kits have no flotation wink

#267631 - 02/22/14 07:45 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Russ.
I have no intentions of just floating there, as AKSAR pointed out the water is no place to be. Unless theres a plane on our tail signaling isn't a top priority IMHO. My priorities are egress and once on the surface getting myself and any other survivors to the nearest shore where I can tend to serious injuries and get a fire going to help stave off hypothermia. Not just float about looking for a plane. There'll be time to signal when we're safe.
You mentioned flare, but I've heard a high number of them do not fire in the field. I carry skyblazers but don't count on them.
It has been suggested to me that a military flight suit can hold a lot of gear with all those pockets. Any one have any ideas on this?

#267632 - 02/22/14 07:47 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Russ]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

I've made allowances for all of those Russ, hence the survival gear.

#267633 - 02/22/14 08:02 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

If I were doing any flying in Alaska, especially over-water, I'd invest in a good anti-exposure suit. Dry (cough cough) land may not be close.

As for gear not working, all the gear in my vest is rated IPX7 so it can stand getting wet for extended periods, and it's been tested for those conditions. If you do get to shore, what then? How are you going to attract attention and get rescued? A PLB should be very high on your list of survival gear, way above the big knife and firearm.

#267649 - 02/24/14 06:05 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: Deathwind]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Deathwind,

You must, of course choose your own path. Disagreement is good. I am just giving my opinion too. It is however based on over 50 years working and recreating in the bush, most of it in places where large, sometimes dangerous animals live (and more than a few unexpected nights out). I have had encounters with most of them, and have yet to need to shoot one (yet?). I usually carry a rifle, a pistol and/or bear spray. I consider at least one of them a critical part of a northern survival/EDC kit.

A big knife is very useful, although I usually carry a smaller one (on belt or in pocket) and an axe or saw (in my day pack), or both. I was not suggesting you don't bring one.

In this type of location, depending on the aircraft, sitting position and type of flight, I often wear an old military survival vest with a knife and handgun. In other situations I carry it as AKSAR suggested. Other times I carry a daypack with my primary survival kit. I always have a minimal survival kit in my pockets. At least a knife, fire starters (matches, lighter and rod), something to eat, usually a FAK and small surrvival kit (currently a modified RSK), and a space blanket. This, along with appropriate clothing will get me through the night. If I have my vest I am going to be much more comfortable and with my pack very comfortable, but I will stay alive.

In my opinion a PLB may be the most important item I carry. The ELT on the aircraft has a high probability of failure (they don't work well under water or in pieces). The pilot probably won't (but getting more frequent) have a PLB.

I have not seen anyone (and certainly I did not) recommend an emergency air supply. The likelyhood of needing one is not up to the cost and complexity of owning one (certification, refilling after commercial flights, etc.).

Respect the potential problems, but do it realistically. The likelyhood of a crash in the bush is very small. The likelylhood of it being in deep water (bever dams and shallow streams usually don't require PFD's) is even less. Most of them happen within sight of the departure or arrival points. If you crash there is still a good chance that you will be able to retrieve your additional survival equipment. The likelyhood of having a bear or other animal in your camp is also very low. The chance that you can't scare it off without shooting is even lower. When you multiply these together it is so small that I don't consider the on body carry of everything to be much of a risk. Of course I do carry the minimal kit at all times since I don't consider the risk zero.

You must choose as you see fit.

The military standard for years was a survival vest with an inflateable PFD over it only when flying over big water.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267650 - 02/24/14 07:21 PM Re: Looking For A Special PFD [Re: JerryFountain]
Russ Offline
Geezer

This may be where my comments seem to be misdirected. When someone says PFD and aviation I immediately think "big water". My typical flight was a long duration flight 60-100 NM off shore. In another life we essentially flew between islands and from shortly after take-off to final approach we were over deep water.

For overland I'm thinking pocket carry for essentials (PLB is on person) and a decent sized backpack duffel or a nomex flight bag for the rest.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.