Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267257 - 02/09/14 06:55 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I agree with what hikermor said.

A reasonable level of light and long run time are probably the most important factors. Most lights now will let you change levels (low for battery life and high when you need lots of light). Other things to look for are robust construction and water resistance. I like to standardize on plain old AAA batteries, since it is easy to carry spares, share with others in your team, and you can find them at any gas station or convenience store on your way to the field.

#267271 - 02/10/14 05:54 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Bingley]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I also agree with hikermor and AKSAR. I have a set of 3 (headlamp, regular use and high power) in both AA and 123. Choose which one depending on the others in the team or specific situation. Back up with a Ritter EQ2 headlamp (coin cells) and a AA from County.com for when Murphy is in good form. The last two remain in my day pack at all times, no matter what other lights I have with me. They even stay there when I am in the Arctic and have 24 hour sunlight.

For the NASAR exam, take exactly what is on the list. Do not skip anything. Even if you take spare flashlights take the required spare batteries as well. Then when you finish take what you and your team think is necessary. Don't throw out any item required by NASAR until you have thought about it carefully, but their list is outdated IMO. It has several things I can do without and is missing several things that I consider critical. Again, it is up to you and your team to fit the pack to YOUR skills and YOUR situation.

AKSAR,

Did you mean AA or do you use AAA as your standard?

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267272 - 02/10/14 06:54 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: JerryFountain]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
AKSAR,
Did you mean AA or do you use AAA as your standard?
I probably didn't word that very well. We don't really have a team standard. My current personal headlamp is a Princeton Tec Quad Tactical. Runs off three AAAs, and has a flip up red filter. Waterproff and robust. In winter, when a headlamp is most essential, I'm usually also carrying my avalanche tranciever, which also runs off of AAA. I always have at least one spare pack of AAA's in my pack. In the bottom of my pack I also have (winter and summer) a little bitty Princeton Tec (can't remember what it is called) that runs off of flat (2032?) batteries. Tiny, and lightweight, it is there for when Mr. Murphy shows up. I think that model light is now discontinued.

Sadly, I also have to carry AAs, since my GPS uses them. For winter use I've been thinking of upgrading my headlamp, possibly to a Black Diamond Icon. Might work better in the cold, but heavier. Still considering the tradeoffs.

#267275 - 02/10/14 08:58 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
. For winter use I've been thinking of upgrading my headlamp, possibly to a Black Diamond Icon. Might work better in the cold, but heavier. Still considering the tradeoffs.

The Black Diamond Icon or Icon Polar are great headlamps. If I were to go a 4XAA headlamp system, the Icon, Icon Polar or the Princeton Tec Apex would be my 3 top choices.

John Lubbock

#267276 - 02/10/14 09:08 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Bingley]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I don't need a headlamp for SAR but have been pleased with the Black Diamond Storm for a couples years on the trail or for late night DAT calls for the Red Cross. Important features include modulating between very bright ~90-100 lumens and a far more face friendly low lumen output. And a red LED setting that I'll use when completing paperwork but for some reason freaks out fire victims, so low lumen for them. Waterproof and runs on 4xAAAs and accepts Eneloops and has a very nice time to discharge - I haven't run out of power but I also switch to fresher batteries before each rotation. What I like especially about the Storm though is that it fits on a lapel for my Red Cross vest which I can direct down and switch on and off without having the slightly dweeby headlamp on my forehead while I'm interviewing clients. Handsfree is very nice when you're taking notes, snapping pix of fire damages etc. I might also attach it to webbing on my pack shoulder strap but so far have only used it in headlamp mode. I got by with 20th century lights until I bought the Storm and I've been impressed with the thought and features with this 21st century light. I see the 2014 Storm has slightly better specs and retails for $49.95 while the 2013 Storm is on closeout for $34, its mighty tempting to purchase the 2014 and get a 2013 as a reliable second backup. Lights are like potato chips after all, you can't have just one or two.

#267277 - 02/10/14 09:15 PM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: clearwater]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: clearwater
Waterproof headlamp, double AA with lithium backups.

Aside from big box or discount stores, which sell cheaply made, heavy and unreliable AA headlamps, good quality double AA headlamps over here, are rare. I cannot recall the last good quality 2xAA headlamp on the market in the last 1/2 dozen years or so.

Big manufacturers here such as Princeton Tec and Black Diamond mainly sell 3xAAA or 4xAA models. There are also some 2xAAA models such as Black Diamond Gizmo but I cannot see the point of having one of these as a comparable 3xAAA lamp only has a slightly bigger battery casing.

John Lubbock

#267278 - 02/11/14 12:16 AM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Teslinhiker]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Waterproof headlamp, double AA with lithium backups.

Aside from big box or discount stores, which sell cheaply made, heavy and unreliable AA headlamps, good quality double AA headlamps over here, are rare. I cannot recall the last good quality 2xAA headlamp on the market in the last 1/2 dozen years or so.

Big manufacturers here such as Princeton Tec and Black Diamond mainly sell 3xAAA or 4xAA models. There are also some 2xAAA models such as Black Diamond Gizmo but I cannot see the point of having one of these as a comparable 3xAAA lamp only has a slightly bigger battery casing.

I have a Princeton Tec, but now that I look, the new models are aaa.

Most of my SAR stuff was on skis, in wet weather, so most of the Black Diamond offerings weren't weathertight enough. The PTech stuff works well. A small handheld in a vest pocket is great, for when you need to change batteries on the headlamp as well as using at a low angle for tracks.

#267279 - 02/11/14 12:51 AM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Is the Fenix HP01 considered a good quality headlamp? It runs on 2xAA batteries. Only IPX-6 so you can't swim with it. I don't have one just saw it the other day and remembered it used less than 4 AA batteries.

#267282 - 02/11/14 05:29 AM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Is the Fenix HP01 considered a good quality headlamp? It runs on 2xAA batteries. Only IPX-6 so you can't swim with it. I don't have one just saw it the other day and remembered it used less than 4 AA batteries.

Could not tell you as I have no experience with them nor do I no anyone who owns one. The headlamp seems to be a fairly new model so time will tell on it's quality. One thing I did notice, the lamp assembly seems bulky considering that the batteries are in a separate case on the back of the head strap.

I also do not like the battery cable that is hanging loose from the head strap. I can see that getting in the way and snagging on a tree branch or worse.

John Lubbock

#267283 - 02/11/14 05:37 AM Re: Flashlight for SAR [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't know if they're "SAR grade" but I've had good luck with my headlamps from Streamlight.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.