Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#267155 - 02/05/14 04:12 PM Weather Channel Car Kit
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
A fraction of what many (most?) of us ETS-types carry but more than the average motorist. This video segment is running on The Weather Channel today -- a public service.

A lot of Atlantans would have been delighted to have this stuff in their vehicle during last week's "Carmageddon."

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/wake-u...=/tv/shows/wuwa

#267156 - 02/05/14 05:15 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No Brew Kit or Stove and No Shovel, Although the Shovel would have been a little superfluous with the 2 inch snow carmageddon for the Atlantians. wink

#267157 - 02/05/14 05:39 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There's a lot missing in that "kit". Two gallons of water is good and I get the comfort snacks angle, but my choice in nourishment would be significantly different. Water and food items are stored in an Igloo cooler to moderate temps (both warm and cold).

Rubber boots and a wool blanket; that's it? How about clothing for an extended stay (or long walk) outside the comfort of your heated car? Long underwear, wool socks, warm boots you can walk in and a parka...

#267159 - 02/05/14 06:05 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Russ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There's a lot missing in that "kit".

A Vacuum Flask and a head light/torch would have be handy as well, as well as one of those illuminated Red Warning triangles to help with stopping an another Atlantian pranging you from behind and getting a nasty neck whip lash injury.

#267160 - 02/05/14 06:39 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Yeah, a lot missing.

But I was concerned that the unspoken assumption in the video was that the car ran out of gas because though stuck, it was running just to keep the car occupants warm, and only after it ran out of gas did they break out the supplies. I realize that this is what most people do, but IMO it is wrong.

If you have the warm cloths and blankets in the car, then don't run the engine and heater to keep warm. Save the gas so you can drive away, even if you sit there a day. If you run out of gas and then break out out the blankets, you have just necessitated a "rescue" in the form of someone bringing gas to the car.

So IMO, the message should be be prepared with warm cloths and blankets etc., and if stuck, turn the car off. Don't run out it out of gas. If necessary, only run engine to charge phones etc. and the car battery.

#267161 - 02/05/14 06:44 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Dagny]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe there is a lot missing in that kit, but the video is meant to get people who typically have nothing to get something. I'd say that's a good start. If the starting bar is too high, no one will do anything.

#267163 - 02/05/14 08:03 PM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Bingley]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Maybe there is a lot missing in that kit, but the video is meant to get people who typically have nothing to get something. I'd say that's a good start. If the starting bar is too high, no one will do anything.

My sentiment, exactly.

#267167 - 02/06/14 12:35 AM Re: Weather Channel Car Kit [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I spend a lot of time outdoors, so over the years I have acquired a fair number of sleeping bags; I have quite a few that are no larger than that wool blanket and that are significantly warmer - my choice for first improvement.

However, for a quick advisory pitched at a predominantly urban population, it is a good effort.

Years ago, I lived and worked at Wupatki National Monument, 45 miles north of Flagstaff. My wife worked and commuted daily to Flagstaff. We learned pretty quickly to equip the vehicles and keep them equipped.We used the stuff more than once...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.