Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#266713 - 01/20/14 06:12 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: clearwater]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Neoprene face mask for 0 works great.

Agreed. In strong wind, add ski googles.

Neoprene will get wet on the inside from condensation. The parts that touch the skin will be wet. If the mask doesn't have a good fit it might move a bit, shifting back and forth. That isn't good: You'd have to (re)-heat the condensation, over and over again. Not comfortable. With a good fitting mask, the condensation water always has the same temperature as your skin. Not uncomfortable at all; five minutes and you don't notice it.

The "tunnel hood" approach also works really well, except if you have to face _*directly*_ against the wind. Fur or no fur is a matter of personal preference (especially if you bring a face mask).

The most troublesome part is condensation from your breathing, particular with glases. You quicly learn to hold your breath when adjusting your headgear.

I see a lot of people wrapping their faces in scarf and whatnot, but I've never really tried going down that road, so no comments on that. For me, it's the hood, then I add the face mask, then the googles.

#266731 - 01/21/14 04:04 AM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Quite a few folks up here seem to like Musk Ox for scarves and hats. Apparently works a lot better than wool.

I could never seem to get my wool or cashmere scarves to wear properly. I could get them set the way I wanted, but then they would slip and lose their effectiveness. Learning to wear a shemaugh properly made a big difference, but cotton is no good for really cold weather.

If you have a problem with neoprene, I've found that a layer of silk seems to help a lot with any trapped condensation. Maybe a combo like that would be preferable.

#266738 - 01/21/14 06:03 AM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was thinking that Polartech Powershield would be an excellent fabric for a facemask.

A quick online search and I found this. A little pricey though.

http://www.untraced.it/en/8000mask.html

http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk/untraced-8000-ski-mask

http://www.polartec.com/shelter/polartec-power-shield/how-does-it-work.aspx

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/21/14 06:03 AM)

#266831 - 01/24/14 03:12 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
IFLM, on the one hand that looks good, on the other it seems a bit claustrophobic (discovered in the last couple of days that I have claustrophobic issues with some cold weather garments, although at the moment that seems mostly related to taking off a polar fleece hooded top that is a bit tighter than it should be and causes me to panic when i get it part of the way off and over my head and it gets stuck)

the recent arctic cold weather blasts here in the eastern US (for the second time this month brrrrr) have brought some extreme cold we are not used to in this area. Having to spend some time in the outdoors with temps dipping down in the single digits and wind chills below zero have me looking at this thread a bit more closely. The gear I had that I THOUGHT could deal with temps like this proved ineffectual due to problems mentioned in the OP - damp face masks from condensation - and that others have mentioned - fogged up glasses. Still taking notes, still learning.

#267091 - 02/03/14 02:33 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

This is continuing to perplex me.

I went for a long hike last week in 10 deg F temperature with little wind. Not particularly hazardous frostbite weather, but a good opportunity to experiment. I experimented with arranging a neck gaiter and scarf in combination, and it did a good job protecting my face. But both ended up getting really damp, which I imagine would have been very unpleasant if I had remained outside for very long after my hike.

I like the fur-edged hood method, but the trouble is that they are attached to super-warm parkas. On my hike I wore just fleece with a really thick wool shirt over the top, which worked perfectly. In a parka I would have roasted.

I am going to Google around and see if I can find just a separate hood that I can wear with any type of jacket. I like that it would provide a warmer layer of air around my face while still allowing moist breath to flow freely out.

For whatever reason I don't like the idea of the plastic face masks. I guess I picture them not venting breath very well.

I may also buy some fleece and have my tailor experiment with constructing a balaclava/hood combo.

If I stumble upon anything brilliant I'll share it here.

Is the whole face in danger of frostbite? I always picture it more dangerous to the pointed edges with little blood circulation, like ears and nose. Can you get bit on chin, cheeks, eyelids, lips?

David

#267094 - 02/03/14 03:17 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
This is continuing to perplex me.
I like the fur-edged hood method, but the trouble is that they are attached to super-warm parkas. On my hike I wore just fleece with a really thick wool shirt over the top, which worked perfectly. In a parka I would have roasted.

I am going to Google around and see if I can find just a separate hood that I can wear with any type of jacket. I like that it would provide a warmer layer of air around my face while still allowing moist breath to flow freely out.

Is the whole face in danger of frostbite? I always picture it more dangerous to the pointed edges with little blood circulation, like ears and nose. Can you get bit on chin, cheeks, eyelids, lips?

David

David,

The last question first, YES!!!!! any or all of the face can get frostbite. The cheeks are particularly common.

A fur ruff on a light parka used to be common in the far north. If you are wearing appropriate clothing, even down to -20 or so running dogs off a packed trail, a heavy parka is way too hot. A canvas anorak (the one from Duluth Pack http://duluthpack.com/home-cabin/clothing-accessories/pathfinder-canvas-anorak.html is typical) is the traditional outer wear. In colder weather the duffel (wool) shirt (http://duluthpack.com/home-cabin/clothing-accessories/pathfinder-wool-blanket-shirt.html) or parka was worn under the shell. A heavy parka (fur, down or now synthetic) was carried for stops. Duluth used to sell the button on ruff as an extra. Don't know if they still do. Some have a ruff that toggles or buttons on so that one may be used for both parka's. It makes the parka easier to clean as well. I went modern on my parka and used velcro. It has both advantages and disadvantages (makes the tunnel stiff which is good most of the time) and makes it faster to change, but it is too stiff on the light parka when folded back. I quit using it on my light parka and went back to buttons.

I have found that a detachable hood is often not useful. The ones I have tried are usually too small and or too poorly attached (3 or 4 snaps) to carry a ruff. They also leak air through the attachment when the wind is blowing. The only one I still use is on a down sweater that is worn under a wind parka. The outer hood has the ruff and blocks the wind. It is just an addition to my watch cap or balaclava.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#267096 - 02/03/14 03:47 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: JerryFountain]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The problem with detachable hoods is that they detach - and then they go astray, led somewhere where they can't be found by the Dark Side, and always when you really, really need them.....

#267101 - 02/03/14 04:34 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo

I am going to Google around and see if I can find just a separate hood that I can wear with any type of jacket.

Perhaps this is solution to your problem?

Buff hoodie. http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-headwear/hoodie-buff

#267105 - 02/03/14 05:43 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: Herman30]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Herman30

Perhaps this is solution to your problem?

Buff hoodie. http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-headwear/hoodie-buff

Nice find, Herman!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#267106 - 02/03/14 05:46 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Take a look at the national weather services chart here on temperature versus frostbite times including accounting for the wind chill factor. I'm also wondering how much the weather extremes you are accustomed to factors into this. According to the chart, 10 degrees F is in the 30 minute range for frostbite. 10 degrees F is pretty cold for my area, but I've noticed others live in areas where 10 degrees might be a warm winter day so surely what you are accustomed to plays a part in this. Also, a person’s personal sensitivity to weather extremes probably plays a part in this as well. I’ve noticed, as I’m getting older that I am becoming more sensitive to extremes of both hot and cold.

I saw an example of a separate hood with fur ruff like the one you mentioned in a catalog many years ago, someone may still make something like it, though I wonder how much of a tunnel you would get with it. Also, as others have mentioned, there is the unenviable task of keeping up with it. That said, I've been using a separate hood of sorts I bought from jcpenney many years ago with some success. They no longer make it apparently. It gives an option of using it as a hood, or you can pull it down and use it more like a half-face mask to cover the nose and mouth. Unfortunately there is the problem of condensation and moisture accumulation.

Hope you find something that works.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.