Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#267194 - 02/06/14 06:09 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Electrical goodies generally don't like cold. I have also found (the hard way, natch) that it is good idea to tuck them away inside the outer layers where they will be nice and warm.

#267196 - 02/06/14 06:52 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: GoatMan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
By the way...

When I go snowboarding, I leave my expensive iPhone safe with my stuff at the lodge or in my car. I ride with a trusty Treo 700. The phone is about 6 years old I think, but the battery still holds a charge. The phone is a tank. The service is deactivated, but I at least have a chance at calling 911 if I get stuck in the back country. I recommend this option if you have an old tank cell phone.

Importantly, I don't want to be "connected" while I'm floating on precious powder.

#267197 - 02/06/14 07:29 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: ireckon]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Importantly, I don't want to be "connected" while I'm floating on precious powder.
Exactly! Nothing is more annoying than hearing my phone ring when I'm out hiking or skiing.

As noted above, when skiing I carry mine, turned off, in an inside pocket close to my body. If I should really need it, it is there, fully charged, at body temperature. If someone calls while the phone is off they can leave a voicemail message if it is important. If it isn't important enough for them to leave a message, then I don't care if I missed the call.

#267238 - 02/09/14 10:30 AM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: GoatMan]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
If what you want is a phone; carry a phone! My £3.95 thick phone can go a week without charging. Yes all it can do is make phone calls; but isn't that the idea?
Smart phones are fantastic pocket computers; as phones they are a joke. They always seem to be not working just when they are needed because the battery life is so poor.
qjs

#267260 - 02/09/14 07:37 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: quick_joey_small]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
If what you want is a phone; carry a phone! My £3.95 thick phone can go a week without charging. Yes all it can do is make phone calls; but isn't that the idea?
Well, not exactly. I find I use my iPhone for text messages about as much as I use it as a phone. Note that in an emergency, a text message uses less bandwidth and may have a better chance at getting through than a voice call.
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Smart phones are fantastic pocket computers; as phones they are a joke. They always seem to be not working just when they are needed because the battery life is so poor.
They are a joke? Really? Hmmm...for some reason I haven't had any serious issues with battery life on my iPhone. It always seems to work when I need it. Maybe I just don't waste as much time and batteries in useless chatter as some people? confused

I think this thread is getting a bit tiresome. I like my iPhone, and it seems to work fine for me. If you don't like smart phones that's your problem, not mine. If you prefer a plain old phone, by all means that is what you should use. smile

#267261 - 02/09/14 07:54 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: GoatMan]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I do the vast majority of my communication by email, then text and last by voice.

I have a Droid Samsung S3, and find great battery longevity on wifi, and less on on 4g. If I am on 4g for about 8 hours, I am almost out of power. But I can turn off the 4g data, and only turn it on to update the que of emails etc. On wifi, I get 2 days (48 hours) easily.

It seems to me, like many things, you need to know, understand and manage your limited resources.

That is not the failure of the technology. All technology has limits.

#267263 - 02/09/14 10:46 PM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It is a bit tiresome, but a reminder to toss apps you aren't using is always good. My iPhone also works quite well as a phone. I don't text, but I use it for email and in a pinch can use it as a compass or as a sextant wink yeah, there's an app for that. Just keep stuff you don't need in the moment turned off and the battery lasts much longer.

#267266 - 02/10/14 10:08 AM Re: Are all iPhone batteries crap? [Re: AKSAR]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Hmmm...for some reason I haven't had any serious issues with battery life on my iPhone. It always seems to work when I need it. Maybe I just don't waste as much time and batteries in useless chatter as some people? confused

Same with my Samsung Note II. I always keep the data connection turned off unless it´s needed for internet surfing. Hardly never call anyone or receive phone calls and texting is not very much used either. This way the battery keeps charged up to a week almost.
It´s the 24/7 dataconnection that suck the juice out of batteries very fast.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.