The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#266970 - 01/30/14 05:04 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: dougwalkabout]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

No offense to Ohio peeps. Just like the contrast.

#266971 - 01/30/14 05:13 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: dougwalkabout]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
BTW, no-one has mentioned the unmentionable: TP, stout trash bags, and maybe a tarp for a privacy shelter outside one door.

Sometimes the daily commute home can be tougher than Polar Expeditions if your not equipped to survive. Privacy Tarps are not required on most Arctic Polar expeditions just a shotgun wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkvASxfEWQ&list=PLA248541C895A47A4

#266973 - 01/30/14 05:49 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Also, even in places like Anchorage, where driving on icy roads is an everyday thing in winter, people seem to forget over the summer. Every fall, on the first slippery day, I see lots of cars sliding around or in the ditch. After a day or so, winter driving habits kick in, and things get much better. In an area where most people have never learned proper winter driving, when icy roads come just at a high traffic time it should be no surprise that chaos results.

Agreed! In SD we have almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction season. You'd think the people would be pretty used to snow since we're buried so much of the year but it's the same- that first snow and everyone acts like they're taking their first turn driving a rover on Mars. Either they're going 5 mph in a 35 or blasting by at 50. You usually catch up to the latter folks down the road a ways in a snow bank or on top of a fire hydrant.

#266974 - 01/30/14 06:06 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
In SD we have almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction season.
In Alaska we have four distinct seasons. There's Early Winter, Mid Winter, Late Winter, and Next Winter!

What folks down south call "summer" is in Alaska just the transition from Late Winter to Next Winter. If it falls on a weekend we usually like to grill burgers out on the deck. smile

EDIT: Except this strange winter, these last couple of weeks in January have been more like summer? confused

Edited by AKSAR (01/30/14 06:10 AM)

#266975 - 01/30/14 01:22 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I found an amazing type of tablet called the 'B-ook'. New text can't be uploaded to the screens; but they do come with hundreds of screens. And B-ooks need no batteries, can be thrown around without damage, are a supply of tinder, insulation and paper and cost a few pounds.
What will they think of next?
qjs

Found one odd gap-- my book read had plenty of power, but conflict between turning pages and keeping on gloves-
gloves were
A) too big
B) not conductive

think I might need to starting carrying a stylus for when I need to wear gloves..

#266976 - 01/30/14 01:44 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: dougwalkabout]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
doug.. thank you, I think it would be a worthwhile test .. I naturally would have a window open on the lee side of the wind, hence my comment about safety rules... with the pneumatic activated under dash vents in modern cars, I've always wondered how tightly sealed a car becomes without the motor running...anyone familiar with auto ventilation systems?

#266977 - 01/30/14 02:07 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: quick_joey_small]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
I found an amazing type of tablet called the 'B-ook'. New text can't be uploaded to the screens; but they do come with hundreds of screens. And B-ooks need no batteries, can be thrown around without damage, are a supply of tinder, insulation and paper and cost a few pounds.
What will they think of next?
qjs

Found one odd gap-- my book read had plenty of power, but conflict between turning pages and keeping on gloves-
gloves were
A) too big
B) not conductive

think I might need to starting carrying a stylus for when I need to wear gloves..

I do carry a 500 pager paper book in my car- how does that help in this situation?

Sunset in Nebraska is 5:30. Stuck in car from 5:15 to 7:00 PM.
Winter Gloves are even LESS conducive to turning pages than holding a stylus.
wasting a headlamp reading the paper book, or pulling out and trying to hold a flashlight.

I could try to read it using the candle, but, at you say, its flamable.....

please don't go all luddite on me, I have a paper library of a thousand books....

#266978 - 01/30/14 02:23 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In Flagstaff, AZ, where I formerly resided, we had nine months of winter and three months of hard sledding. There is nothing between Alaska and Flagstaff except a barbed wire fence.

#266980 - 01/30/14 04:56 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Dagny, my experience with a Heatsheet and fleece sleeping bag was on the near side of miserable. The evaporate just soaked the bag because the Heatsheet kept it in. Terrible. Now, in a car it may be different because you may be sitting up, which helps the "steam" escape. But, lying down, terrible.

#266981 - 01/30/14 04:59 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Testy interview between a CNN anchor and Atlanta's mayor. With CNN and Weather Channel both based in Atlanta, there has been an unusually personal perspective on the part of reporters.

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2014/0...re-angry-at-me/

The link below is to an interesting in-depth look at the factors that make Atlanta particularly vulnerable to mass gridlock in any emergency. The reporter notes that this week's experience with barely more than two inches of snow have historical underpinnings in myriad political jurisdictions and past transportation infrastructure decisions as well as failures of leadership this week.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/atlanta-snow-storm-102839.html?hp=f2

The Day We Lost Atlanta
How 2 lousy inches of snow paralyzed a metro area of 6 million.

By REBECCA BURNS -- January 29, 2014

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.