Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#266952 - 01/29/14 11:36 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: bws48]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When I was a kid growing up in Dallas, we had a storm of this nature - everything was covered with ice, including the roads. Everyone got a forced lesson id winter driving. My father was raised in Illinois, and was fairly comfortable, but a lot of people got educated in ice driving the hard way. If you haven't driven on snow or ice before, the touch required is unbelievably delicate.

#266954 - 01/29/14 11:56 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

I commute to Atlanta, and was at work yesterday when the snow started (I regret not calling in because I know what a little snow does down here). I ended up letting myself in at work, and spending the night in a back office because of the traffic.

When it started snowing, the temperature was above freezing, so the snow -- especially on the roads -- melted and re-froze at first, and drivers compacted it down to sheets.

There were far too many people under-dressed for the over-night lows, because, "My car has a heater. I don't need a coat!" This is something I just don't understand.

My biggest regret is not having *spare* clothes in the car, especially socks.

I took a couple exploratory drives, and was nearly trapped in the masses a time or three, and I saw some saddening behaviors. Panic, inexperience, and a lack of education about some things, can really take their toll on people. I saw one person with a blow-out from spinning his tires hoping for traction. Apparently when the ice melted, he just burned out.

#266958 - 01/30/14 01:30 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: LCranston
Dagney- all the screens work the same- any $1.00 sytlus will work.

I like the ones with stylus on one end, pen on other- might as well increase usefulness

Good to know, thanks. I have an old Palm Pilot around here somewhere so will look for that stylus before buying one.

I'm willing to bet the old Palm Pilot stylus does not work. The modern phones that don't have an integrated stylus (like the Samsung Galaxy Note II), require what is referred to as a capacitive stylus. Their distinctive characteristic is a rubber ball at the tip around 1/4 inch in diameter. The old Palm Pilot stylus had a narrow tip made of hard plastic. These will not work and all you will likely do is scratch your screen.

YMMV
Craig

#266959 - 01/30/14 01:39 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: bws48]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: bws48
<snip> The car battery will run the phone a long time and recharge the phone battery. <snip>

Unless you suddenly find yourself with a dead car battery. A quick cold snap is when a weak battery is most likely to give up the ghost. The small lithium ion batteries with USB connectors are everywhere now and prices are cheap. Definitely worth being able to keep the smartphone running in an emergency.

Craig

#266962 - 01/30/14 03:08 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
if you aren't equipped for winter at all, why are you on the road? All people had to do was check the weather forecast/highway hotline to make the determination of whether to travel or not. If you don't have winter travelling experience, don't know how to handle your vehicle in snow/ice, don't have snow tires or at the very least have better quality all-seasons with enough tread then why make the decision to drive? What is so important that you can't defer your trip?
I agree---general rule is, "if you don't know what you are doing, don't do it."

But this seems to be superseded by "you don't know what you don't know", so drivers who have never experienced snow/ice etc. have no idea what it means, or what questions to ask, or what to do. So they default to doing the "usual." .....
Not only do they not know what they don't know, but they've all no doubt heard/read lots of comments from northern folks saying "....a couple of inches of snow ain't not big deal..." So they think that since it isn't a big snow they don't need to worry.

Also, even in places like Anchorage, where driving on icy roads is an everyday thing in winter, people seem to forget over the summer. Every fall, on the first slippery day, I see lots of cars sliding around or in the ditch. After a day or so, winter driving habits kick in, and things get much better. In an area where most people have never learned proper winter driving, when icy roads come just at a high traffic time it should be no surprise that chaos results.

#266963 - 01/30/14 03:40 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
does anyone have a link to, or actually tested the amount of interior temperature change a small kerosene lantern (1/2" wick, around 900 BTU/hr) can actually effect in conditions like those currently encountered?...I understand there are a lot of variables eg. interior volume, insulation,... just wondering on the temp change you can expect under actual conditions... normal safety warning

I would be very careful about using any appliance with a live flame in any enclosed space - carbon monoxide. We will probably get a media story about deaths from people who fired up their barbeque grill or other makeshift device in order to keep warm - this unfortunately is a very predictable occurrence.

I did a test with tea lights a while ago: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=213662&page=8

I see hikermor is still the resident "carbon monoxide Nazi." That's a good thing. grin

#266964 - 01/30/14 03:44 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, no-one has mentioned the unmentionable: TP, stout trash bags, and maybe a tarp for a privacy shelter outside one door.

#266966 - 01/30/14 04:15 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
BTW, no-one has mentioned the unmentionable: TP, stout trash bags, and maybe a tarp for a privacy shelter outside one door.

TP (i.e. Kleenex packets) was on my list but I had not considered privacy.

My Element has clamshell side doors so a small tarp could close it in pretty well, I think. Will look at it and think that through.

You'd want to some privacy for sure, otherwise all ones cheeks could be posted on Reddit.

#266967 - 01/30/14 04:16 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The scientific notation would be "CO/Na" I've just been around too many close calls; it's a very tricky, nasty phenomenon.

I really think it would be worthwhile to repeat your tea candle heating trial and measure CO accumulation, perhaps with windows cracked open to various degrees....

#266968 - 01/30/14 04:57 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Tricky and nasty indeed. I know people who have had close calls. If I had been in that vehicle, a window would have been cracked, period. Not just for fresh air, but to vent excess moisture.

At the time I didn't have suitable measuring equipment, but now I have an industrial client where portable gas monitoring (including CO) is routine, including pumps and tubing for remote sampling. Maybe I could pull a favour. Hmm.

Edited by dougwalkabout (01/30/14 05:00 AM)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.