The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#267050 - 01/31/14 09:43 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: RNewcomb]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Many years ago I used to carry chains all the time during the winters here in DC. Until one snowy/icy/windy storm shut down route 7 heading home for hours. I struggled to put the chains on in those conditions, right on the road. I decided then that the next car would be a 4x4.

So I have been driving Subarus since about 1982. Good all season tires, and I've been in a couple of really bad snows and always got through. No Drama. Of course, it doesn't let you drive over the folks stuck in front, beside and behind you, but neither do chains.

Thus this thread. Sit there and, ummmh, chill out. wink

#267055 - 02/01/14 08:34 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I actually just ordered some emergency tire chains from that same site! I debated getting full-on chains but for now I don't really need them. The emergency ones consist of a pair of 2-chain units that you can strap on for instant traction. That's more what I end up needing (a burst of traction to get out of a bad parking lot or side street).

#267274 - 02/10/14 08:44 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Looks like Atlanta-area leaders and residents are getting an opportunity this week to demonstrate if they learned anything from last month's Carmageddon.

Public officials seem to be erring on the side of caution this time. Best wishes to all in the storm's path.

We may be getting a significant storm in DC on Thursday. I actually needed eggs-bread-milk so got that done at lunch today. So bring it on, Mother Nature!

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/winters-storm-warnings-advisories-and-watches-fore/ndJgM/

Gov. Nathan Deal doesn’t want to take any chances after the icy gridlock embarrassed Georgia in late January. He encouraged residents in the storm’s path to “be off the road by early evening” Monday as transportation crews prepare the roads. Deal also asked tractor-trailers, which caused mayhem during the January storm, to steer clear of I-285.

The governor convened his emergency response team at 11 a.m. Monday, including executives from hospitals and utility companies. Deal said he was particularly worried about the “devastating” impact of ice dragging down power lin
es.

#267280 - 02/11/14 01:04 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
No salt to be had here at all. The stores that had it sold out, the ones who had none can't order any, "too late in the season". Supposed to be snow followed by freezing rain ... o yay, and the natives can't drive when it's clear out. Guess I will sit in the house and do whatever and if the power goes out go get the stoves/lantern out of the garage.

DW just got a new car with AWD. With luck tho, she'll be home before the worst hits, her boss is from Florida.

#267281 - 02/11/14 04:50 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

I'm really curious about how things will pan out in the Atlanta area. I've been keeping an eye on the current conditions and hourly forecasts over the next couple days.

I've already been witnessing the snow panic among people in the area. One person was desperate to find entertainment for his kids since they'll apparently be "snowed in" for the "next three or four days" without a way to get out and do anything (literal whining sounds omitted).

It isn't even supposed to dip below freezing until evening ... tomorrow.

My girlfriend stopped for a couple grocery needs on her way home from work, and there were literally three loaves of bread left in the store.

The most likely scenario is that I will end up leaving work a little early, to deal with evening traffic panic in a more timely manner. The only real trouble I see will be from other drivers buttpuckering over every drop of rain.

#267286 - 02/11/14 12:19 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: JBMat]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: JBMat
No salt to be had here at all. The stores that had it sold out, the ones who had none can't order any, "too late in the season". ........

Are you in an area where there is hard water? If so, every lumber yard, gas station, and grocery store will have pallets of water softener salt. The granulated type, mixed with 90% sand, is what I use on my sloping driveway in Minnesota.

#267289 - 02/11/14 05:39 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Eastree]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

My girlfriend stopped for a couple grocery needs on her way home from work, and there were literally three loaves of bread left in the store.

Chances are (pretty much guaranteed) even if there was no loaves available in the super market, the home baking section will have bags of Wholemeal, White Bread Flour and Yeast available. And you can even bake bread without a bread machine even in the garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDW0y31CYos

Get the Children involved as well, to keep them entertained. wink

#267298 - 02/11/14 11:26 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Or just make pancakes or something similar. My leftovers are often made into a sandwich and they work pretty well, if I do say so....

#267304 - 02/12/14 02:11 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: hikermor]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:

Chances are (pretty much guaranteed) even if there was no loaves available in the super market, the home baking section will have bags of Wholemeal, White Bread Flour and Yeast available. And you can even bake bread without a bread machine even in the garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDW0y31CYos

Get the Children involved as well, to keep them entertained. wink

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Or just make pancakes or something similar. My leftovers are often made into a sandwich and they work pretty well, if I do say so....

Oh, yeah. I'm aware. She was checking for the sake of checking.

That said, I put the radio on a talk/news station this morning on my way to work and home, and the reporters were assuring everyone that more bread and milk were, in fact, on their way to local stores to be re-stocked.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.