The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#267008 - 01/31/14 03:44 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Remarkable account of one life saved in a most surprising way. Sometimes there's a lot more than meets the eye....

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/snowpocalypse-2014-he-started-shoving-but-he-may-h/nc7kf/

#267018 - 01/31/14 05:28 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Consider a small piece of foam material on the floor of the vehicle. Keeps your feet warm. It was standard carry when I lived in Maine.

#267026 - 01/31/14 09:08 AM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Nomad]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Nomad
Consider a small piece of foam material on the floor of the vehicle. Keeps your feet warm. It was standard carry when I lived in Maine.

Make sure you do not have anything loose on the floor while driving. Things can slide forward and jam the pedals. That's also the reasons why the car mat under need the driver should be fixed to the floor.

#267032 - 01/31/14 02:09 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I kept my SHTF bag in my Jeep here outside of Birmingham. We got out and about every day in it, helping to snatch out stuck cars and checking on folks.

My Jeep has lockers and serious offroad tires and did very well but I will be ordering a set of snow chains. Not like they'll go bad if I don't use them right away.

#267035 - 01/31/14 03:02 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
I kept my SHTF bag in my Jeep here outside of Birmingham. We got out and about every day in it, helping to snatch out stuck cars and checking on folks.

My Jeep has lockers and serious offroad tires and did very well but I will be ordering a set of snow chains. Not like they'll go bad if I don't use them right away.

Good plan. Chains aren't very expensive, don't take a lot of room and can offer tremendous mobility and safety enhancement. I've never used the chains I bought for my current vehicle but they give me peace of mind whenever I head out in a snowstorm.

Got mine from this place in Pennsylvania:

http://www.tirechain.com/

By the way, I learned to drive stick on a 1953 Willys that had been outfitted with a short-block Chevy V8. We lived in Oregon's Cascade mountains. Fun times.

#267036 - 01/31/14 03:14 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

2" snow on Tuesday and Atlanta schools are closed Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

That's what many parents would call a disaster....

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-education/atlanta-schools-stay-closed-friday/nc7QD/

#267042 - 01/31/14 04:28 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
An interesting map of the country. Map: 'How Much Snow It Typically Takes to Cancel School in the U.S.'

Here in Anchorage, snow isn't unusual and the city does a reasonably good job of clearing it, so they rarely close schools because of snow. What does close schools occaisionally in Anchorage is extremely slick icy conditions (freezing rain, or similar). At times Anchorage turns into one giant skating rink. frown

#267044 - 01/31/14 05:43 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: AKSAR]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
An interesting map of the country. Map: 'How Much Snow It Typically Takes to Cancel School in the U.S.'

Here in Anchorage, snow isn't unusual and the city does a reasonably good job of clearing it, so they rarely close schools because of snow. What does close schools occaisionally in Anchorage is extremely slick icy conditions (freezing rain, or similar). At times Anchorage turns into one giant skating rink. frown

Would be interesting to see school closures based on Temps too.

Those little dark blue counties in California-- think Donner Party with 25 feet of snow in October.

"Truckee, Calif. — If your kids have had a snow day in March you live in snow country.

If your kids have had a snow day in June you live in Truckee.

If you've ever had to clear snow off your driveway twice in the same day — snow country.

If you've ever had to clear snow off your driveway twice in the same hour — Truckee.

If you've ever bought a season pass in August so you can ski all winter — snow country.

If you've ever bought a season pass in April so you can ski all summer — Truckee.

If you've ever put a 6-foot bike whip on your mailbox to locate it in the winter — snow country.

If you've ever put a 20-foot flag pole on your house to locate it in the winter — Truckee.

If you've ever had to chain up your SUV to get to work you're in snow country.

If you've ever had to chain up your SUV to get out of your drive way you're in Truckee.

If you have ever shoveled your side walk so guests could get to your house for Thanksgiving Dinner — snow country.

If you have ever shoveled your side walk so guests could get to your house for Memorial Day barbecue — Truckee.

If you ever used your lawn mower and snow blower in the same month — snow country.

If you ever used your lawn mower and snow blower in the same day — Truckee.

If you use heat tape to keep Icicles off your roof you live in snow country.

If you use a bat to keep the icicles off the heat tape you're in Truckee.

If you've ever actually worn out a snow shovel you live in snow country.

If you've ever actually worn out a snow blower you live in Truckee.

If you have snow every month from October to May you live in snow country.

If you have snow every month you live in Truckee.

If you think the above is an exaggeration of the truth — you live in snow country

If you think the above doesn't do winter here justice — you definitely live in Truckee."

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110607/COMMUNITY/110609915

#267045 - 01/31/14 08:13 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks for the link to tirechains.com. The place I recently saw chains had zero chains available... probably sent them all to outlets in the South wink

Originally Posted By: Dagny
...The Carmageddon list is about staying comfortable in a gridlock or breakdown situation you may not have any control over. ...

I have one of the older non-touchscreen Kindles that has buttons to turn the page. As for why a Kindle or other electronic device designed for reading books, mine has a library of reading, more than you could carry in a big book bag and while it does require electricity to run, I can charge it just about anywhere. Until we get hit with the big EMP, my Kindle will be good to go. YMMV

#267049 - 01/31/14 08:47 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Russ]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks for the link to tirechains.com. The place I recently saw chains had zero chains available... probably sent them all to outlets in the South wink

Originally Posted By: Dagny
...The Carmageddon list is about staying comfortable in a gridlock or breakdown situation you may not have any control over. ...

I have one of the older non-touchscreen Kindles that has buttons to turn the page. As for why a Kindle or other electronic device designed for reading books, mine has a library of reading, more than you could carry in a big book bag and while it does require electricity to run, I can charge it just about anywhere. Until we get hit with the big EMP, my Kindle will be good to go. YMMV

I've considered getting chains, but after much consideration -

Realized I probably wouldn't ever take the time to put them on... and that's most likely not going to be in a warm garage.

Secondly, your limited to 35 MPH. I guess if you REALLY need the chains, you won't be going over that speed anyway..

I have a set of four Blizzak Snow Tires mounted on steel rims. I swap them out every spring for all season radials. Rims cost me $100 from the junk yard, and the tires were $50 each, and I will get many years of use out of them.

Edited by RNewcomb (01/31/14 08:47 PM)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 432 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.