Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#266927 - 01/29/14 04:54 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A sleeping bag is essential. A decent bag occupies about one cubic foot of space, weighing perhaps three pounds, so I don't understand how one could not fit in any vehicle. I have always carried one, beginning with a 1962 VW Beetle. Two heet sheets will definitely not be adequate, although they will probably help you avoid amputations due to frostbite.

I would include a flameless cooker or MRE heaters. Might as well have a bit of luxury. For that matter, put some really nice items in your food stash - really, really nice chocolate bars, for instance.

Edited by hikermor (01/29/14 05:06 PM)

#266929 - 01/29/14 05:06 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Russ
REI has liner gloves which are conductive and work with the iPhone.
http://www.rei.com/search?search=liner+g...reen+compatible

Thanks, Russ. Don't think I'm going to give up my Smartwool liners for those though.

Just Googled and Apple has filed a patent on a stylus. Will probably cost $50 if they ever market it.

Doing more research on non-Apple solutions. Wasn't a big issue until the other morning when it was 9 degrees.

#266930 - 01/29/14 05:15 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... they will probably help you avoid amputations due to frostbite.

That made me laugh out loud. Perhaps inappropriately, but it did.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I would include a flameless cooker or MRE heaters. Might as well have a bit of luxury. For that matter, put some really nice items in your food stash - really, really nice chocolate bars, for instance.

I like the way you think, Hikermor.

Because my dog and I love bikejoring, winter is my favorite season here. Have gotten in the habit of packing two or three thermoses of boiling hot water along with cocoa packets so fellow bikejorers (and dogscooterers) can warm up from the inside on the trail.

When faced with a long winter drive it would be a good habit to have those thermoses, boiling water and cocoa (tea or coffee) along. Even after sitting overnight (in my kitchen) my smaller LL Bean thermoses are keeping water hot. Quite hot.

To augment my thermos inventory for group outings, this one is being delivered today:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8D...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#266931 - 01/29/14 05:32 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

There are worse places to spend the night. People got creative with makeshift pillows. Think I'd opt for marshmallows....

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/01/29/c...ars-on-highway/

Commuters Sleep In Grocery Stores After Abandoning Cars On Highway

January 29, 2014 9:40 AM

"...Made it to CVS on W Paces Ferry. People sleeping in every aisle, using maxi pads as pillows."

#266932 - 01/29/14 05:33 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I'm still not fully into the smartphone tech;

I just noticed that the list includes a spare battery for the Smartphone. I wonder why?

The nice girl at the mall who set me up with my smartphone last year also gave me a charger that fits into the car cigarette lighter to charge the phone. The car battery will run the phone a long time and recharge the phone battery. I think that would solve the problem. Maybe make sure to have a car charger and cord in the car---I keep mine there.

This could also be shared with other folks phones in the car (if all the phone charging cords were standardized/compatible ---apparently some are not).

#266933 - 01/29/14 05:42 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: bws48]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bws48
I'm still not fully into the smartphone tech;

I just noticed that the list includes a spare battery for the Smartphone. I wonder why?

The nice girl at the mall who set me up with my smartphone last year also gave me a charger that fits into the car cigarette lighter to charge the phone. The car battery will run the phone a long time and recharge the phone battery. I think that would solve the problem. Maybe make sure to have a car charger and cord in the car---I keep mine there.

This could also be shared with other folks phones in the car (if all the phone charging cords were standardized/compatible ---apparently some are not).

If you run out of gas or are conserving fuel, it would be good to have the backup charger.

I always have a Kindle in my purse so I'd pass time reading but would also like to have Internet access so keeping the smartphone going is very important.

I have a car charger (cell phone 101, I should think) and use it a lot because my phone "map apps" (Waze, IOS 7 and Google Map) have supplanted my Garmin gps and they are a significant battery drain.

I've also become dependent on my RadarScope app (real-time weather radar) and "Around Me" (gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc.) and "i-Exit" apps and several others.

Not as critical as a sleeping bag but nice to have.

#266935 - 01/29/14 06:04 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Dagney- all the screens work the same- any $1.00 sytlus will work.

I like the ones with stylus on one end, pen on other- might as well increase usefulness

Edited by LCranston (01/29/14 06:05 PM)

#266936 - 01/29/14 06:15 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: LCranston]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: LCranston
Dagney- all the screens work the same- any $1.00 sytlus will work.

I like the ones with stylus on one end, pen on other- might as well increase usefulness

Good to know, thanks. I have an old Palm Pilot around here somewhere so will look for that stylus before buying one.

#266937 - 01/29/14 06:43 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
does anyone have a link to, or actually tested the amount of interior temperature change a small kerosene lantern (1/2" wick, around 900 BTU/hr) can actually effect in conditions like those currently encountered?...I understand there are a lot of variables eg. interior volume, insulation,... just wondering on the temp change you can expect under actual conditions... normal safety warning

#266940 - 01/29/14 07:07 PM Re: Carmageddon in Atlanta [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
We've got highway closures all over the place this winter too. In fact, there's one North of me and one East of me as I type this response.

My top 10 must haves for a potential overnight in my Jeep during solo winter travel, aside from the standard vehicle & First Aid kit stuff are:

-extra sweater and/or coat (My old long heavy wool coat lives in my Jeep right now)
-cold weather sleeping bag (rated for the lowest temps you could see)
-extra WARM hat and mitts (right now, I've got a fur-lined trappers hat and snowmobile gloves)
-snow pants
-snowmobile boots
-fresh hot drink in insulated mug/bottle (usually coffee or hot chocolate)
-corn shovel
-extra washer fluid
-phone charger
-my Get Home Back/Winter Day Hike kit (It's a bit of a cheat for a top ten list, but here's a look at the current contents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnoNOdK2yc)

When the family comes with me, we load up extra warm stuff, snacks, drinks, etc. for them too. Everyone takes a BOB/GHB when we travel any distance in the winter!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.