Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#266855 - 01/25/14 02:43 PM Re: tiny little backpack for outdoors [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And well they should. Grand Canyon ranks at or near the top in NP areas in the number of SAR operations per year quite regularly. A lot of it is simply high visitor numbers.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Maxpedition products. They have a lot of sling packs, small to moderate volume, which are more casual than a conventional backpack. I am not a big fan, because to my eye, they are unnecessarily clunky and too laded with MOLLE (or PALS, whatever) loops that increase the weight and aren't that useful. Still, they can be useful.

#266859 - 01/25/14 03:50 PM Re: tiny little backpack for outdoors [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Quote:
...unnecessarily clunky and too laded with MOLLE (or PALS, whatever) loops that increase the weight and aren't that useful ...
Maxpedition bags are very well constructed; I have one (Condor) but very rarely use it because while "bomb-proof" it is unnecessarily heavy and stiff. Their small bags which I have seen are made from the same heavy material and are way overbuilt for a small bag you want for casual use. FWIW, IMO

#266862 - 01/25/14 05:45 PM Re: tiny little backpack for outdoors [Re: Pete]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Pete
PacSafe crossbody looks interesting. I'll check it out.
I really wish that people who did YouTube's were more action-oriented. It would have helped if she had demonstrated a couple of different ways of putting on the pack ... more useful than knowing what compartments exist.

Pete

Here's one that might show what you are looking for:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnq8iJfBnMs

While not useful, this one is hilarious because the presenter thinks it is a waist pack!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ER00GfF4W2E

The larger version looks interesting but for me this hits the "sweet spot" for balancing size against capacity. It enforces a discipline, which helps counter my tendency to over-pack. And, in an office setting, the fact that it is carrying a tablet computer gives it instant credibility without marking me as a scary "prepper".

Standard disclaimers, no commercial interest...
Steve

#266864 - 01/25/14 06:11 PM Re: tiny little backpack for outdoors [Re: Steve]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Forced discipline ... yep, that's one reason I keep one of the older Camelbak Mules, but with that I have 100 oz of water and room for essentials.

As I see it a tiny pack is step 2, first you need mindset and after that the mind will determine the pack size that's appropriate.

#266865 - 01/25/14 08:57 PM Re: tiny little backpack for outdoors [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have a Maxpedition Kodiak gearslinger. Mostly I use it as a laptop bag. It works very well as a bookbag, not so well as a pack. The single strap is fine for short periods but over time it puts a lot of pressure on that one spot. I've found it gets to be too much if you load it down, but it's fine for computer.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.