The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#266665 - 01/18/14 08:25 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

BPJ

From the experience of my 60 yo aching unfit muscles and weak eyes, I would strongly suggest to look at your body first. Cover any personal weaknesses there before anything else.

Just as an example from my side. Eyesight is a big problem in my case. So, I have put the following aids :

- In my glove compartment , a new bi-focal pair of glasses, and a cheap pair of glasses that can serve in emergencies plus I can combine WITH the normal glasses to convert them to reading glasses ( just like a pair of hands-free magnifier lens)

- Also, in my bag, I have put a vision pouch plus a light pouch. In the latter I have put a headlamp, and a 24/3 LED light that can be fixed with a hook or magnet )

The list goes on and on.
Without proper vision , I am helpless
And so, survival begins from there.

I once developed a knee problem, so I put a cane in the trunk just in case. Although, I am ususally fine and the problem is gone, but could return in the worst of times.

So, please find your own personal weaknesses and address them before anything else.

Just my 2¢

#266676 - 01/19/14 01:09 AM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Excellent point. I am rather unfit without glasses (can't legally drive without them, for instance), so I am trying more and more to be sure that I have a spare pair handy at all times.

#266679 - 01/19/14 03:29 AM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: glasses... while I too carry a spare set of glasses in the car, I don't EDC a pair... I've posted this before, but if you make a small aperture by curling your index finger over your thumb you can sharpen your focus when you look through the hole... I carry an old plastic card with a 3/32" hole in my wallet for the same reason

Edited by LesSnyder (01/19/14 03:30 AM)

#266682 - 01/19/14 08:00 AM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Spare contacts and spare glasses in both my laptop bag and my car kit. Don't leave home without them.

#266683 - 01/19/14 10:45 AM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
re: glasses... while I too carry a spare set of glasses in the car, I don't EDC a pair... I've posted this before, but if you make a small aperture by curling your index finger over your thumb you can sharpen your focus when you look through the hole... I carry an old plastic card with a 3/32" hole in my wallet for the same reason

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Spare contacts and spare glasses in both my laptop bag and my car kit. Don't leave home without them.

Good call on the peephole card. That would probably work well for short term use. I like to keep spare glasses around, though. I'm reminded of the story of Teddy Roosevelt and his practice of having several pairs of glasses with him. Legend has it that at San Juan Hill he had a half dozen pair! It has been written that when he went to war he stitched a couple spare pair into the lining of his uniform.

I'm not as blind as that but I'm pretty nearsighted. There's no way I could drive without corrective lenses. I actually have contacts and no less than six pair of current-prescription glasses! My main pair is worn in the evenings after I take out my contacts. I have another pair in the glove box of my truck and a pair in my knife & tool case that I use at work. There's one spare pair residing in my partially pre-packed camping backpack (as close as I have to a BOB) and a few more stashed in my room.

All that redundancy stems from an incident where I was down to just one pair, and a beat up one at that. I dozed off wearing them and woke up with one of the bows broken off. It was a major PITA trying to find a tube of Super Glue without my glasses so I could fix my glasses! I vowed never to make that mistake again, so when I got a new pair I made sure to get my PD on the scrip.

#266750 - 01/21/14 03:59 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
I'd like to lighten things up this time

I would advice against lighting anything up

Yesterday, I was in my dad's house fighting several problems, and I felt under-prepared. My kit had been lightened up, and Duct tape was missing. Next time I may lighten up by throwing the bag itself, but not the duct tape.

Very good point, Chisel. I have an on-going battle against over-packing, but it never seems silly to me in the winter. BRR!

Here's a peak inside my day pack, which is part of my GHB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnoNOdK2yc&feature=em-upload_owner

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#266751 - 01/21/14 04:03 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm lucky that my vision in that my vision is stuck in a place where I need bifocals, but I'm functional without them, except for driving. I keep a pair in my coat, a pair in the Jeep, a pair at my desk and a pair in my BOB, along with a repair kit in all my kits. I lost one lens while hiking this summer, and learned my lesson well.

Sunglasses are crucial for me too, especially when there's snow glare outside.

Getting old sucks!

#266752 - 01/21/14 04:07 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel

...please find your own personal weaknesses and address them...

I hear ya, Chisel! I'm a long time member of the migraine and bad back clubs, and I got a wicked case of plantar fasciitis this fall. It's amazing how debilitating an injury or illness can be, and how fast they can creep up on you.

#266758 - 01/21/14 05:07 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It amazes me how much energy that pain can suck out of you!!!

#266761 - 01/21/14 07:01 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
wear a neck band with your glasses! or whatever that elastic thing that goes around you head to hold glasses on.maybe not all the time of course but out in the bush it would be a good idea.even in a pocket to put on if the going gets rough.a canoe buddy wears them with his sunglasses out in the boat having lost a good pair some years ago.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.