Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#266616 - 01/15/14 04:18 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Eugene]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

Rule #1- YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN AT WORK! The company may make nice noises sometimes but they have insurance to handle your injuries...... whether they realize it or not they ARE trying to hurt you!

I posted a while back the story of my wife working on floor 20something of a law firm who quietly evacuated all the lawyers before finally letting the staff leave on 9/11/2001 which re-enforces rule # 1.
It is worth noting that not all companies take this approach. My current employer is one of the large energy companies, and tends to be somewhat obsessive about safety. We do a full evacuation drill of the office complex regularly, and there are several people on each floor who are "emergency response coordinators" (trained in CPR and FA) who check the entire floor after an alarm to make sure everyone has gone down the stairs. We are in earthquake country, and on each floor there is a closet with a cache of basic rescue gear (crow bars, axes, flashlights, etc), and there is also a cache of survival rations on site.

#266621 - 01/15/14 07:34 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I waas very impressed in one of my temp post retirement gigs that I was able to take FA and CPR training in order to be able to handle customer emergencies (as well as staff, I suppose). We also had regular earthquake drills.

I would certainly think twice about continuing to work for anyone with the policies of the legal firm mentioned.

#266623 - 01/16/14 03:55 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Bingley]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Bingley
It seems like Scenario 3 might be the toughest. Do you have good cell reception all along your commute route? Do you have roadside service? I pay a little extra annually so I can have a 100-mile tow radius.

I have always considered AAA and other roadside assistance to be a bit of a con. It's promoted as this wonderful on-call service that rescues you when you're stranded. But that's no different than any towing company. I don't need AAA to call a tow truck for me. It provides no additional peace of mind, except for simply covering the cost, which just makes it not-cost-effective insurance.

If I break down or get stuck (which happens about once every ten years) I just call a tow truck. Once I just called 911 and they got one for me. I think it was $45 for the tow.

Correct me if there is a flaw in my logic.

David

#266624 - 01/16/14 04:04 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bigmbogo]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
Correct me if there is a flaw in my logic.

Amoco Motor Club and AAA used to have great service and reasonable pricing -- when I drove a very old car and could expect to need a tow every year or two it made sense for me. Both had ancillary benefits as well.

Amoco Motor Club has gone the way of the dodo and AAA is very expensive for what they provide. If the warranty on my car provides free towing service, I'm glad to take advantage of it, but otherwise I don't see the utility in paying for that kind of coverage.

#266625 - 01/16/14 04:22 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I drive an old car, so maybe that's why I always make money back. I expect two or three tows a year, and not always from breakdowns close to home. (I once got a 40-mile tow.) I also need jump starts from time to time, and I can't always wait for my neighbors to come home. For $40-$75 per year, that's not bad.

There are a few companies to do roadside assistance. There isn't just one. I don't use AAA because I found another company I like a little better.

Yes, I'm planning on driving my car into the ground.

#266626 - 01/16/14 04:27 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: chaosmagnet]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
"AAA used to have great service and reasonable pricing" is the key.

For many many years we were members. Then one day DW went shopping to the mall and managed to leave the car headlights on, and when she came out of the mall, the battery was dead (subsequently battery replaced). It was a normal, sunny day, so no crazy weather to deal with that would tie up the AAA truck. She was told 1) that it would be FOUR hours for the truck to get to her to jump start the car and 2) she had to "stay with the car" the entire time.

This was not acceptable. DW went to mall security, who got her started and on her way in about 15 minutes.

Thus ended our AAA membership. YMMV.

#266628 - 01/16/14 04:37 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: Bingley]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Yes, I'm planning on driving my car into the ground.

The problem with that is the ever-increasing anxiety of never being sure if your car will ever make it.

Even so, I am in the same camp - drive it 'til it just don't go no mo'.

#266629 - 01/16/14 06:56 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Oh, my friend MoBob, I am afraid you are quite mistaken -- it will make it to the ground for sure! It just may not make it where it's convenient for us.

So much of the car still works. It's a shame to throw it away. Besides, what better way to give ourselves chances to practice emergency preparation? smile At some point I chose not to be worried about whether the car would get me to the destination. I just accept breakdown as a possible outcome, and I buy roadside assistance. But for important trips I'd rent a car. So no worries or anxieties, my friend, and enjoy being frugal and environmentally sound!

#266663 - 01/18/14 07:04 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: unimogbert]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I work for a large medical group in a building built with a back-up generator. When our space was built out 20 years ago the powers-that-be decided to not pay the extra money for the conduit and wiring to tie our office lights and outlets in to the back-up generator: "too expensive."
After repeated requests to the powers that be to retrofit the office to the back-up power, since I think it can be argued, that medical offices should be considered "an essential service", fell on deaf ears, I gave up.
One of the requests occurred in the hallway during which conversation THE POWER WENT OUT. I was asked with a smile if I had arranged the outage.
It wasn't until a few thousand dollars of refrigerated/ frozen vaccines were lost due to another power outage that "they" decided to run conduit and wiring, but only to the vaccines refrigerator, not the whole office.

#266664 - 01/18/14 08:09 PM Re: Preparing for the Daily Commute [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I'd like to lighten things up this time

I would advice against lighting anything up

Yesterday, I was in my dad's house fighting several problems, and I felt under-prepared. My kit had been lightened up, and Duct tape was missing. Next time I may lighten up by throwing the bag itself, but not the duct tape.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.