The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#266636 - 01/17/14 03:29 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
You surely don't mean he's holding a pitchfork! (Gasp)

#266637 - 01/17/14 03:53 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So the question stands: what do the guys who climb without supplemental O2 wear over their faces?

#266639 - 01/17/14 05:42 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: Alex]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Alex

Being kids we were preventing a frostbite by often and intensively massaging the skin on the face, ears, palms with wool (we usually wore wool mittens and scarves). If the skin feels numb, or looks whitish start massaging immediately until it burns and looks pink.

I was a bit confused by this statement as I remembered DS’s BSA first aid info on frostbite that you should NOT massage frostbitten areas. I went back and re-read what is in DS's BSA handbook and in the BSA first aid merit badge pamphlet regarding frostbite. Here is the info I found:

Frostbite is a condition that occurs when skin is exposed to temperatures cold enough that ice crystals begin to form in the tissues. A frostbite victim might complain that the ears, nose, fingers, or feet feel painful and then numb, but sometimes the person will not notice any such sensation. Grayish-white patches on the skin – indicating that ice crystals have begun to form in the top layers of the skin – are signals of the first stage of frostbite, or frostnip. With continued exposure, frostnip worsens and the freezing extends to deeper layers of the skin and to the muscles. Frostbite can be very serious, as it can cut off blood flow to the affected area and lead to gangrene, or tissue death.

First Aid for Frostbite

If you suspect that frostbite extends below skin level, remove wet clothing and wrap the injured area in a dry blanket. Get the victim under the care of a physician as soon as possible. Do not massage the area or rub it with snow. Rewarm the area only if there is no chance of refreezing. Expose the affected area to warm (100 to 105 degrees) water until normal color returns and it feels warm, and bandage the area loosely (placing dry, sterile gauze between fingers and toes). To treat frostnip, move the victim into a tent or building, then warm the injured area. If an ear or cheek is frozen, remove a glove and warm the injury with the palm of your hand. Slip a frostnipped hand under your clothing and tuck it beneath an armpit. Treat frostnipped toes by putting the victim’s bare feet against the warm skin of your belly.

Here is the link to the PDF of the merit badge pamphlet: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxgvwk8HKLlHT0ZRalhQcHV2UDQ/edit?pli=1

#266640 - 01/17/14 06:23 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
AFAIK, they wear just about what everyone else on Everest wears

#266642 - 01/17/14 08:07 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, the question re the facial attire of high altitude climbers came from two previous posts:
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
... Is there no way to protect from frostbite on the face without either using a hood or constantly dealing with soggy or frozen face masks? What do the Everest guys do, for instance? ...

to which clearwater responded:
Originally Posted By: clearwater
oxygen face mask with goggles and hood. See photos.
http://www.everestexpedition.co.uk/everest_south_col/down_suits_review.htm

My question took that a tad further in that a very few serious climbers go into the very cold very thin air without oxygen and hence no need for an oxygen mask. Since everyone else on Everest is wearing oxygen, they must be wearing something else which may be very useful info for we mortals at lower elevations.

As I recall reading, there is a snorkel type arrangement used for breathing the cold air in Antarctica, something about allowing the air to warm up before you breath it. Just curious, me being in SOCAL I don't have this high on my requirements list.

#266644 - 01/17/14 09:06 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: Russ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
My friends who have climbed in the Himalayas used reflective face masks or neck gaiters with goggles on lower elevation peaks where they didn't need oxygen. They commented that the daytime temps were actually pretty warm but high winds and sun were the hazards.

#266652 - 01/18/14 05:17 AM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Enjoyed the clip. Can't wait for Part II.

#266681 - 01/19/14 04:40 AM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Sorry I mentioned Everest; it just got everyone off on an unrelated tangent regarding altitude, oxygen, etc. I just mentioned it because it seemed like the most strenuous and extreme cold weather example.

I'm just trying to find a good and simple way to protect my face when it's very cold, like 0 F. Hopefully an alternative to breathing through something that is going to be continually wet and/or frozen.

David

#266688 - 01/19/14 08:11 PM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, maybe something like this:

http://rzmask.com/home

There are several different versions of this from various manufacturers. There may still be some condensate in the mask, but greatly diminished from the usual balaclava or scarf.

Not sure how low temp it will work, but better than nothing.

#266699 - 01/20/14 12:45 AM Re: Frostbite protection? [Re: bigmbogo]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Neoprene face mask for 0 works great.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.