The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266515 - 01/12/14 12:17 AM Chemical Spill in West Virginia
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Report of a chemical spill contamination the Elk River near Charleston, WV. Estimation of 300,000 affected.
Chemical Contamination of Water in West Virginia

Apparently no treatment regimen exists. Time and dilution to safe(er) levels are the order of the day.

Chemical contamination obviously presents a problem. Living in an area rife with old mines I'v always been concerned when pulling water out of creeks when camping/backpacking. Standard methods of disenfecting (boiling, treating) are good against natural contaminants but there is always still the risk of problems such as this.

-b

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#266517 - 01/12/14 01:32 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
I think it should show everyone that you cannot be totally prepared. The other day, a local community had a water line break and the two little stores in town ran out of bottled water rapidly. How many of us have an actual 3 day or more supply of water for eating, cleaning etc.?

#266518 - 01/12/14 03:28 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the blue Coleman in the picture and an additional Aqua Tainer have given good service for at least 14years.. together about 12 gallons...water gets rotated at the beginning of hurricane season with a little Clorox added...if you have a spare bathroom, a filled 33 gallon plastic trashcan can easily be stored in your shower...peace of mind

#266519 - 01/12/14 05:13 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: hillbilly]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hillbilly
I think it should show everyone that you cannot be totally prepared. The other day, a local community had a water line break and the two little stores in town ran out of bottled water rapidly. How many of us have an actual 3 day or more supply of water for eating, cleaning etc.?

Depends on how you use it. Use less water by:
- Not washing up, use disposable plates, cups and cutleries (use less space then the water require to wash a equivelant of regular dishes.)
- Not flushing the toilet if you only peed
- Sponge bad/wet wipes, instead on a shower

(and ofcorse not water your garden, mopping the house, etc)

These meassures greatly reduces your water consuption. I have 55 Liters stored as emergency drinking water and a 6pack in the car. I also have other form of liquids (milk, juice, sportsdrink) and water in my cleaning spray thingy (no idea what it's called, but i normally use it to clean my bike)

#266520 - 01/12/14 05:46 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: hillbilly]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
How many of us have an actual 3 day or more supply of water for eating, cleaning etc.?

I have a 30 gallon rain barrel in the basement. It was originally for a backup rain water supply for my Bonsai and house plants, but since I got a RO filtration system I don't seem to need it very often. Potted plants don't like hard tap water, and that's what we have. I keep an aquarium filter in it to keep it fresh. I run it for a few days every couple months, and top it it up with RO water.

I have another rain barrel outside in the summer, but that's in frequent use so I wouldn't count on it for survival.

#266521 - 01/12/14 06:39 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: hillbilly]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
How many of us have an actual 3 day or more supply of water for eating, cleaning etc.?

I always have 30 to 40 gallons on hand. We have those office-cooler type 5 gallon bottles delivered every two weeks. We keep 6 to 8 of those bottles in a queue, drink the oldest ones first, add the new ones to the end of the queue. You don't even have to think about it. They deliver the same number of full bottles as you put out in empties. So if you drink a lot and put out many bottles, they will delivery many bottles. Likewise, if you go on vacation and only use one and put that single bottle out, that's all they deliver. The exception being if you don't put out any bottles (forget, or whatever). Then they deliver two, or whatever the default is that you set up for your account. Although having the bottles delivered is slightly more costly than you going and buying them at the grocery store yourself, it's worth it to me to have a "no thinking" method of water management.

p.s. - I don't know exactly how long 40 gallons would last the two of us in our household, but it should go pretty far if we conserve.

#266522 - 01/12/14 07:08 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Old desert rat here. When supplies are tight, water is for drinking, period - at least a gallon per person per day. Remember you have water stashed in your toilet tanks and hot water heaters.

M

#266523 - 01/12/14 07:12 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I have enough stored water for a week of drinking for the five of us. It's heavy and takes up a lot of room -- if I had more room I'd want at least another barrel's worth.

#266524 - 01/12/14 08:11 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Water supplied to the 300,000 customer is taken from the river a mile down from rusty chemical storage facility tanks sitting right next to the water supply. eek

Time for a audit of any potential sources of contamination of my local water supply here;

http://goo.gl/maps/HWuoK

Edited by Tyber (01/13/14 02:48 PM)

#266525 - 01/12/14 08:51 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I have water stored in 5 gallon containers (some of the blue Aquatainers and some inexpensive white ones purchased new). Most of the time I have about 40 gallons on hand. While this is enough for short term use I do plan to pick up at least a couple larger vessels when I can. The 55 gal ones would be convenient for filling but not very portable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.