Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#266489 - 01/10/14 02:27 AM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Russ]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Russ
The comments above are too funny. Seriously though, survival is a mindset and it really doesn't matter much where you are. You should be thinking two steps ahead rather than reacting to something unforeseen. In the case of a hotel, I'm usually ready to walk out the door and down to the lobby -- would never get caught outside the room nekkid. EDC items come to mind; when I'm living in a hotel, that keycard thingy becomes part of my EDC.

Totally OT: Surviving a bombing in a large crowd is easy -- don't be there.

Ever since reading about the Arrow Electronics disaster in 1980 ( www3.gendisasters.com/new-york/4265/white-plains,-ny-stouffer%2526%2523039%3Bs-hotel-fire,-dec-1980 ) whenever I go into a hotel or other large building for a meeting or an overnight stay I always make sure to do several things (and I have also drilled this into my kids when they were with us).

(1) For a hotel room - first clear the room with a drawn gun.

(2) For a hotel room or a conference/meeting room - walk thru and find the exits. For a room, this means memorizing the direction to the fire exit, and how many doors between my room and the exit. This is because you may be crawling thru a smoke-filled hallway. I've been challenged on several occasions by hotel staff at conferences. The exits in meeting rooms tend to be back in the 'staff only' areas. I just tell them I like to know my way around.

(3) For a hotel room, I leave mt wallet, car keys, flashlight, room card, coat, pants and shoes by the door in case I have to make a quick exit.

Edited by brandtb (01/10/14 02:30 AM)

#266490 - 01/10/14 02:50 AM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
ER docs see drug seekers every day, and many complain of dental pain. Therefore, their index of suspicion is very high, and their response to dental pain conservative. Some very smart er guys have learned to do dental blocks with local anesthetic injections, effective for dental pain and disappointing for narcotic seekers. That said, dental pain is awful, and er's are poor places to seek treatment. Your dentist can probably suggest some local emergency dental centers. ER's attached to teaching hospitals with dentistry schools sometimes have emergency dental consultants. Or treat your family dentist really well, and maybe he will give you a cell number.

#266492 - 01/10/14 01:50 PM Re: Hotel survival [Re: brandtb]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: brandtb
(3) For a hotel room, I leave mt wallet, car keys, flashlight, room card, coat, pants and shoes by the door in case I have to make a quick exit.

My EDC flashlight has a "moonlight" mode that doesn't disturb my sleep but makes it easy to find in a blacked out hotel room. I leave it in this mode next to these items.

#266493 - 01/10/14 01:53 PM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Chisel]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

In a hotel I just keep everything in my pants. Drop it when i go to bed. If there is anything happening i can just jump in my pants (with my wallet, keys, etc) and go.

My phone however is usually charging at night and being my alarm clock.

#266506 - 01/10/14 09:14 PM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I was staying in a hotel when the fire alarm went off. It was 2:00 in the afternoon, so I was already dressed. Shoes and briefcase (business trip), out the door, down the hall, down the stairs (3rd floor room), and out the door.

What was really concerning was while I was hauling butt down the hall, most of the hotel residents were just standing in the doorways and gawking.

In my experience, these are the things you will have, and I've been through, while staying at a hotel are:

1) Weird travel schedule - I rarely to arrive at a hotel in time for a decent dinner and often badly jet lagged. Meal replacement bars are better then going for fast food at 10:00 at night or raiding the vending machines. Chewable Dramamine (dimenhydrinate, not meclozine) is the best short term sedative I've found for adjusting my sleep schedule. Meclozine takes about 2 days to work out of your system.

2) Other guests - Egomaniacs, nyphomaniacs, inebriates, missionaries, and abstentee parents who think the entire bleeping hotel is a day care center. Earplugs are NOT optional, and don't park under a balcony if you can help it.

3) Food poisoning - Bring Immodium and Pepto as you will be too sick to go out.

4) Fire alarms - You're in the middle of a city and can buy replacements for what gets left behind. Your wallet, perscription medications, cell phone, valuables, and paperwork for the trip (hotel, rental car, airplane, etc.) needs to be in your BOB/daybag while you're sleeping.

5) Power outages - Flashlights. 'Nuff said.

6) Wardrobe malfunction - Most hotels have irons in the room, but none have a tailor in the hotel. Carry a sewing kit with iron-on repair patches.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#266507 - 01/10/14 11:25 PM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Mark_R]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I was staying in a hotel when the fire alarm went off. It was 2:00 in the afternoon, so I was already dressed. Shoes and briefcase (business trip), out the door, down the hall, down the stairs (3rd floor room), and out the door.

What was really concerning was while I was hauling butt down the hall, most of the hotel residents were just standing in the doorways and gawking.

It's called 'Milling.' People mill around in a state of ambivalence, normalcy bias inhibiting their survival instinct.

#266508 - 01/11/14 12:21 AM Re: Hotel survival [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Chaos... my G23 has tritium powered moon glow by Trijicon smile

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.