Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#266312 - 01/02/14 10:08 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I would like to get an RFID reader if only to test the efficacy of the protection sleeves. Until I test with one or someone trustworthy tests with them, I'll have doubts.

#266314 - 01/03/14 12:31 AM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
money belts: back about 40 years ago, I did a little traveling in SEA after the end of the air war.. the go to fashion statement was a Thai money belt of elephant hide...some crisp $20s, a set of orders with a TSCW notation, and a DIY microfiche
taken with some slide film of your US passport and GI ID card, and you could catch a ride on most space available aircraft, or more importantly get past the nice Marine at the gate of an embassy or legation...today, I think I'd stick a couple of 1/10oz gold coins in for good measure

#266315 - 01/03/14 12:47 AM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: LesSnyder]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Sounds similar to my installment plan. I keep the same amount of each paycheck for pocket cash. I take what's left in twenties from last payday & put it in the safe. Every so often the safe gets a new toy or ammo.

#266317 - 01/03/14 01:06 AM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: TeacherRO]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
For a top quality money belt, go to a leather shop. I have never had one that was worth half what you pay for them from anywhere else. All the rest either cracked where it bends at the buckle or the stitching came loose (two thin pieces sewn together). The latest one is a single piece of leather with a leather covered zipper sewn on the back and stitching down each side to disguise the addition. Even the thread appears to be a better grade. It's similar to the thread that comes with a sewing awl.

#266323 - 01/03/14 05:59 AM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: bws48]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

"Money doesn't talk , it swears!" (Bob Dylan). I always carry cash. In my wallet is an emergency stash. In my pocket is an amount for work day needs, plus a bit more. An additional stash is in whatever happens to be my EDC bag. At various times an ankle sack or IWB hanging looped sack, both by Eagle Creek or a money belt ( see below) replaces the wallet or EDC bag stash. I might leave some in my hotel safe Amounts vary based on how flush I am and how far/long I will be way from home.

When I was a kid and NYC was a lot rougher than it is now, even though we were by no means well off, I and my friends always carried "mugger money". $5-$10. Enough to pay for a fix or two for the junkie mugger. (Yes, it was a long time ago.). That was the origin of the saying that cash saves your life.

Today, cash still buys you a ride, an unavailable hotel room in a blizzard, admission to a "full up" train/plane, a ride in an "off duty" taxi and a host of other products and services, unavailable with plastic. If you want a simple demo, go into a small shop and as you checkout, show your Am Ex Card, since it has the highest vendor fees. Then ask if there's a discount if you pay in cash greenbacks. More times than not, you can save 5-10%.

As to money belts, the best one I've used, so far, is the Blackscout Survival belt. Light nylon, plastic hardware, unique elastic slots on back, allow you to slide in cash,, and other small objects. It doesn't print, isn't dressy, does not stand out as unusual. Comes with accessories that you should omit in certain venues. . Downside is that it a bit pricey.

Edited by acropolis5 (01/03/14 06:53 AM)

#266326 - 01/03/14 02:02 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I carry cash but then I'm a child of times before credit cards. The only place I use my bank debit card is in one of that bank's ATM's. One of these years everything will go electronic/digital and the .gov will get rid of cash -- that will be a sad day.

#266328 - 01/03/14 03:00 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: LesSnyder]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
at the beginning of hurricane season, I put $500 in the gun safe... at the end of the season, the money belongs to the gun safe... to buy a new toy

Less, I like how you think.

Back when I did SAR in Alaska I kept about $500 in my SAR Backpack. It was always easier to negotiate with a boat captain to get a ride, or a plane pilot with cash for a ride out when your in trouble.

#266329 - 01/03/14 03:36 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: UTAlumnus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a money belt from Aker Leather. Nice well built belt, but for a pure money belt, I'd go with something cheaper looking like the Black Scout nylon belt acropolis linked to. But that's a real belt. I really like the Eagle Creek RFID Blocker Deluxe Money Belt.

#266330 - 01/03/14 03:38 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"As to money belts, the best one I've used, so far, is the Blackscout Survival belt. Light nylon, plastic hardware, unique elastic slots on back, allow you to slide in cash,, and other small objects. It doesn't print, isn't dressy, does not stand out as unusual. Comes with accessories that you should omit in certain venues. . Downside is that it a bit pricey. "

Something much cheaper, but still effective is the money belt made by Eagle Creek. Nylon, 1 1/4" with a plastic buckle and a zippered compartment. Cost is about 1/3 the Blackscout. For me, it is a regular item when traveling.

#266331 - 01/03/14 03:42 PM Re: Money not in your wallet [Re: TeacherRO]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I also carry a money belt, just a simple webbing type with zipper compartment and a metal buckle.

How do other stuff there money belts? You obviously need to fold them to fit in the pocket and the spread them out to keep it as thin as possible, but still sometimes I find them a little on the bulky side.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.