Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#266282 - 01/02/14 03:36 AM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
I assume you mean this solo-stove/. That looks good for some applications but it doesn't fold up flat and would probably not fit in my smaller packs. Still, it looks like a very good stove.

Yes, that one (or the other manufacturers of it)

#266289 - 01/02/14 05:03 PM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: hikermor]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Not impressed. There are some very misleading statements in their advertising. A fuel canister and my Pocket Rocket is lighter than the 9 oz they claim as the weight of their stove, just for starters.

The Solo Stove actually does well with respect to the weight comparison with a Pocket Rocket and Canister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvo3BPcy14

Looks to be a good longer term use stove, if fire lighting isn't a problem for the operator

A more compact gasifier stove is available called the Wild Wood Gas Stove which will fit inside a MSR Alpine stowaway pot, Alpkit MYTIPOT, Zebra Pot etc.

Using a Alpkit MYTIPOT with the Wild Wood Gas stove weighs in around 450 grams or 16 ounces. It can also be used as well with Esbit, Trangia, Firedragon, Zip Fuel and Sterno, if you want take fuel with you.

A nice demo of the Wild Wood Gas Stove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXA89p-Pr5s

The folding pocket stove looks like a useful emergency stove for Esbit, Zip and Trangia use but for burning wood looks like a non starter for burning wood due to it small size.

#266293 - 01/02/14 05:36 PM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
An important consideration for fires and fire making in western North America is fire hazard and restrictions on fires. Canister stoves are often legal, while solo stoves and their ilk would not be (sometimes, all fires and even entry into the woods are prohibited). This is not mere bureaucratic niggling. The disastrous Rim Fire just this summer was apparently started by an illegal campfire.

Over the years, I have gotten away from burning wood, primarily because of safety and convenience. I will be enjoying my nice cup of tea, to say nothing of my hearty bowl of oatmeal, while wood fire aficionados are still gathering fuel. My fuel canister becomes lighter as I use it up, while others are required to lug around their folding box.

This does, however, create a paradox. Building and lighting a fire is an absolutely fundamental outdoor skill, and like any skill, it require practice to attain and maintain proficiency, especially when conditions are poor. If you are wedded to canisters, esbit, etc., what do you do when your toys are depleted?

However you do it,just be sure that you can create fire when necessary. Just as important, know when not to strike that match.

#266298 - 01/02/14 06:23 PM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hikermor -- the wood burning stove I'm using these days is a Vargo Ti Hexagon. It folds more or less flat and weighs just over a quarter pound. I fully agree with your sentiments regarding use of wood fires in the very dry southwest, but it's not this dry everywhere.

I like other stoves too. Both the MSR PocketRocket and MicroRocket are great canister stoves, lightweight and very packable. Kerosene, White gas and multi-fuel stoves are also in my stash. Some are just there for the sentimental reasons, others because they are very good at what they do. They all work, some better than others.

All that said, wood can be a very good fuel and a good wood stove that packs away and is very lightweight can be a very useful option. I really like that these small stoves burn twigs and small pieces that are easy to find. The park where I walk the dog has lots of fuel just lying around that no one would miss if I cleaned it up a bit. YMMV

#266300 - 01/02/14 06:40 PM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
One semi-non-conventional use I've found for my original Folding Firebox Stove ( http://www.fireboxstove.com/5-inch-folding-firebox ) is for a campgound cheerer-upper. In an established family campground you can just set one of these things on the picnic table and build up a small fire for fun at night. It only takes a few minutes to gather up a large pile of little sticks, pine cones, etc. in a campground. It's like sitting around the campfire when you don't want to build a big campfire and then wait for it to burn down before going to bed. With an appropriately designed stove (like the above) this does no damage to the picnic table. There is an ash pan to catch any hot ashes and the bottom of the stove that sets on the table does not get hot enough to do any damage.

You get plenty of warmth sitting at a picnic table around one of these things. And you get to gaze into the flames for that mezmorizing effect. Plus, it's just fun to feed little sticks into the fire and watch them light up (at least for me, it is). When you're ready for bed, just stop feeding the fire and it will go out in a few minutes.

I don't think I'd have so much fun sitting around and gazing into a MSR Pocket Rocket fired up on the picnic table. For pure cooking needs there are more efficient devices. But if you want to add fun and enjoyment, these little wood burners are the ticket IMHO. Of course, trying to survive and eat in a cold and rainy situation might be better served by a different stove.

#266301 - 01/02/14 06:54 PM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"I don't think I'd have so much fun sitting around and gazing into a MSR Pocket Rocket fired up on the picnic table."

This brought a grin when I read it - the mechanical stoves just don't have that "fellowship effect" - not even the full throated roar of a SVEA works for that..... And you can make a case for wood stove in reducing the fuel load when you combust all that dead wood. It is good to have options.....

#266319 - 01/03/14 03:27 AM Re: USA distributor for UK-built "Pocket Stove"? [Re: haertig]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'm not much on these small folding "stoves" as i can make an open fire where i camp here in Minnesota but i would think there are places where there are open fire rules and or not much to burn so these would come in handy.the whole run on survival gear seems to have made a niche for anyone who can stamp out metal.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.