Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#266287 - 01/02/14 04:18 PM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: benjammin]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Oh, I'm not knocking the Military. It's the bureaucracy that I got problems with.
Ben, then I apologize. I guess I misundertood you.

It's just that you said: "Making a soldier tote more load to make up for poor planning, lousy logistics, and inadequate resupply.... We fight battles using the latest technology and strategies that were proven obsolete during World War 2. ..... Command is at least 50 years behind the times."

I always thought "planning", "logistics", "resupply", "fighting battles", "strategies" and "command" are things the military does, rather than the bureaucrats. My mistake. confused

#266295 - 01/02/14 05:53 PM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Wish I could actually watch those dang blasted You-Tube vids, I always get an error message, oh well frown

#266303 - 01/02/14 07:27 PM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Hikermor,

I have one and it weighted in about 14 lbs without the radio and accessory pouches, so 17 is probably close with all attachments.

They are designed by Arc'Teryx, and built by Propper. They are actually very nice packs except for the weight. Weight is due to the heavy cordura used and all the Molle webbing. They are not fragile, to say the least.

If you strap the Assault pack on the back of the main pack it is even heavier. You can get the ILBE packs on ebay for pretty good prices if you are willing to carry the weight.

I switched to an Eberlestock pack that is similar in design but uses much lighter materials and only weighs about 7 lbs, which is about the same as a large ALICE.

Gotta love hand-held digital travel scales. smile

Greg

#266316 - 01/03/14 12:51 AM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: Greg_Sackett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting. Arc'teryx makes nice packs. I used one rather hard for several years before I retired. I was by the office a while ago and my successor was still using it. It was very comfortable and quite tough, and not at all heavy.

#266320 - 01/03/14 03:59 AM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: AKSAR]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
In my experience, once most of them made O-5 (Lt. Colonel, Commander, etc) they became political officers. In Baghdad, these were the officers that were dealing with the contractors and working mostly at desks. These people tended to really wrench up the works trying to get things done. I'm sure there were some out in the field doing real soldier work, but there were so many command rank officers and GS civilian equivalents mucking about in the IZ that we struggled to get anything done with them. Think of Everett McGill's character (I know he was a Major, but he was obviously bucking for a promotion) in Heartbreak Ridge and you get a good idea of the kind of crap we had to deal with. I don't consider that regular army. Real GI's worked to solve problems. Command staff seemed hell-bent on making as many as possible. They couldn't make one decision on their feet. That's not a way to fight any battle.

#266336 - 01/03/14 09:54 PM Re: USMC FILBE Bergen [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Part of the problem is everyone pitches in an idea and the original item gets all gacked up.

It has to be "blah blah blah and blah" capable of "feats superman wouldn't want to do" and able to be used by a guy who is cold/wet/tired/hungry/lost with a bad attitude to boot.

I was a guinea pig at the Natick Test labs a long time ago. Saw some really nice gear there, most of which, while perfectly usable, never got fielded. "Didn't meet standards"

Fast forward 18 yrs, the SGM of the test labs was a old friend, who after listening to techno-babble, got knee and arm pads off the shelf for less that 1/4 the price the contractor was quoting. And to my amazement, they were fielded as is off the shelf.

Not all desk jockeys are jerks.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.