Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#266135 - 12/28/13 09:23 AM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
This dates back more then a couple of years, but there was a course called "level 1 antiterrorism training". It was aimed at your typical working joe and not the Jason Bourne types. The training was a classroom course, and covered how to make yourself a less conspicous and more difficult target. What it covered was: how to dress, where to sit on the airplane, what type of car to rent, where to travel, where to stay in the hotel, how to check your car, check for being followed, basic car handling techniques, what to do if being shot at, what to do to avoid being kidnapped, and what to do if kidnapped. It was focused on a first world urban environment.
Keep in mind this was some time ago and the course may have since been 'improved' to the point of worthlessness.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#266136 - 12/28/13 10:38 AM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Who offered the course, Mark? I've never noticed anything like that.

#266148 - 12/28/13 06:36 PM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

This is proving to be an interesting discussion. Basecamp, I checked out. Pelton's site before my initial post. It was disappointing and not informative on this subject. Mark R, the course you are remembering sounds more to the point. I join Bingley in asking if you could supply more info or a website. I've so far refrained from directly contacting CNN or other comparable media organs, on the theory that they will refrain from useful answers based on Opsec considerations. But, after this thread inquiry runs its course, I might try that line of inquiry.

#266154 - 12/28/13 08:04 PM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
At the time, I was working for the goverment. It didn't feel like it was developed in house. Goverment training has a big emphasis on how important it is, and this was more bullet points. It was probably developed by a private company for anybody who might travel outside the USA.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#266163 - 12/29/13 02:13 AM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Pete Offline
Veteran

OK Acropolis ... I guess I owe you a better answer than what I provided. I can get a specific response on who does the training classes for reporters. It would take a day or two to get an answer for you. In the mean time, do me a favor and don't pack your bags for a flight to Syria. Skip Mexico too.

I know one guy who does an on- foot surveillance course for journalists. They just ran it in Santa Monica, California. The point of that course is to teach journalists a higher level of street awareness so they can avoid being kidnapped. I know for a fact that the last two people who went through it found it to be humbling and a real education. The average person does not realize the skills that pro surveillance people have.

In addition, there are training courses put on by security professionals to teach journalists "what mistakes not to make" in war zones.

Let me know what works for you.

Pete

#266186 - 12/30/13 02:42 PM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Acropolis ... Here is an example of the type of training course that could be useful. I am NOT necessarily recommending this particular course . That's because I don't know anyone who has been through it, and more importantly this course sounds like it is just a set of classroom briefings. That's no good . You need a training course that puts you into real simulated situations. It's possible I am wrong and this course does do simulations ... You would have to talk to them. Check out how the courses are conducted pretty carefully. If it' doesn't create a stressful situation and get your body moving in real simulations (with real simulated bad guys) then you are not getting value for money.

http://www.bgpglobalservices.com/Hostile-Environment-Awareness-Training

Pete

Edited by Pete (12/30/13 02:56 PM)

#266225 - 12/31/13 06:34 PM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: Pete]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Pete, thanx for the link. I'll check it out and report back. In the meantime, I'll avoid Syria and Mexico. Although, I just recently visited the Golan and I did hear some faint explosions and automatic weapons fire. That's pretty close to getting "real". It didn't seem to phase the locals however. They remind me very much of New Yorkers, highly adaptable , very much "Keep Calm And Carry On".

#266234 - 12/31/13 10:57 PM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Acropolis ... I'm in favor of journalists getting real and bringing back good reports. I just don't want to see any more reporters get kidnapped or killed, that's all.

I sent you a PM on December 31st. Send me a reply if you get it, or let me know if it didn't come in. It's not showing on my Messages list at ETS.

Good luck!

BTW ... Here is an example of a better training course. This one is in Cape Town. Has hands-on exposure.

http://www.ultimate-survival-training.com/heat-survival-course/

Pete

Edited by Pete (01/01/14 02:35 AM)

#266250 - 01/01/14 09:42 AM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: Pete]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Pete, thanx for the new link. I did not get your PM. I sent you a PM today. Perhaps a reply to mine will get thru.

#266252 - 01/01/14 11:09 AM Re: Foreign Correspondent Survival School? [Re: acropolis5]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Ah, I didn't know such classes are called "hostile environment awareness training." If you google a bit, you can find some listings in the US. I have no idea which one is good. On the other hand, it seems like if, say, you're going to the dangerous parts of South Africa, maybe it's better to get training in South Africa.

If you actually have to go abroad to dangerous places, there is no substitute, I guess. But if this is just for personal curiosity, you can perhaps get a taste of parts of the curriculum at some firearms schools that teach car hijacking situations, trauma management, force on force, guarding/protecting clients, etc. There are also driving courses for security people. I am guessing you're in New York, Acropolis, so you are probably very limited in your training options if you're a civilian. The closest firearm schools I know of to you is in Ohio. For surviving in NYC, that may get you pretty close.

Caveat: I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just have a tenth degree black belt in google-fu.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 468 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.