The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266133 - 12/28/13 07:19 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, I know the Wiggy's bags can be vacuum packed but I haven't done it. But I have left them stuffed tightly rolled in stuff sacks for long periods of time without loss of loft. Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Wiggy's but I do have five of their bags!

#266147 - 12/28/13 06:34 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
An outward bound school I worked at had probably a thousand sleeping bags, mostly slumberjack and including a few hundred Wiggy's. They were all 20 degree synthetics. There seemed to be no difference in loft or warmth between brands and after several months of use they all were colder by a noticeable amount. In the CA Sierra Nevada, summer temps were sometimes down to freezing and the more used bags were not warm enough. Even sleeping in long underwear and fleece, the students with the older bags were cold.

#266152 - 12/28/13 07:52 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd say store then in loose cotton bags - a big pillow case is good. and not in the basement or attic either.

#266153 - 12/28/13 07:58 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: clearwater
An outward bound school I worked at had probably a thousand sleeping bags, mostly slumberjack and including a few hundred Wiggy's. They were all 20 degree synthetics. There seemed to be no difference in loft or warmth between brands and after several months of use they all were colder by a noticeable amount. In the CA Sierra Nevada, summer temps were sometimes down to freezing and the more used bags were not warm enough. Even sleeping in long underwear and fleece, the students with the older bags were cold.

When that happens you just throw the bag in the washing machine. That brings the loft back.

#266160 - 12/29/13 12:12 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: Phaedrus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

When that happens you just throw the bag in the washing machine. That brings the loft back.

Believe me, these were well washed bags. Synthetic fill just wears out quickly.

#266167 - 12/29/13 06:59 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: clearwater]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Believe me, these were well washed bags. Synthetic fill just wears out quickly.

I'm not buying it. My oldest one is over 10 years old and hasn't lost a bit of loft. Send it back then- two months or twenty years old Wiggy's will replace or repair it.

#266174 - 12/29/13 03:59 PM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: Phaedrus]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

I don't know what they did with them. I didn't see them buy more in later years. They bought more of the slumberjack/kelty type bags.

#266183 - 12/30/13 04:19 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

I would buy a Wiggy's bag if I could afford it. What I needed was something that would work in a wide range of temperatures and be small enough for my already overstuffed trunk, and $75 was about the maximum I could afford for that.

My camping is with my small children, so it's car camping and not when very cold. The sleeping bags we use for that are accordingly light. The new sleeping bag is intended to put the finishing touches on my "stuck in a snowbank for three days" kit, which is about the worst survivable thing I think is worth planning for when I'm road-tripping. It's meant as a major improvement over the Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy.

Chaosmagnet,

Your Military bag is probably a Wiggy's. The tags should say if they are still in place. They are the prime and original manufacturer of the set you bought. The older style (which I think is what you have) are often available surplus or from former GI's for really good prices. Wash it as shown on the Wiggy's site, stuff it up, and be ready for serious cold. Not the lightest or most compact, but a serious cold weather bag at a super price. Just right for your need. I have and will trusted them for a while as my survival sleep system (in the car, in the airplane, in the canoe, sometimes even backpacking).

I agree, some of my worst nights were stuck in a snowbank type nights (usually on the plains of Wyoming or Montana, the wind gets nasty sometimes).

Respectfully,

Jerry

#266184 - 12/30/13 07:37 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Consider the impact of a few consecutive weeks using your bags in the outdoors. I've been out 17 days and my sub 1 kg bag weighed more than 4 lbs. Body condensation. It has a cumulative effect on loft and sleeping temperature. You can sorta feel it later on a trip but generally after a couple weeks you're such a bad ass hiker it doesn't bother you so much.

#266185 - 12/30/13 08:57 AM Re: Sleeping bag storage [Re: chaosmagnet]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I noticed my 11 year old sleeping bag which has been stored compressed the first 2-3 years, has lost considerable more of it's insulation than my 19 year old sleeping bag which has been stored loosely all it's life...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 176 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.