The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#265971 - 12/20/13 11:59 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
That is one other thing you will have to take into account in the cities: stadiums, theme parks, monuments, etc. will have TSA type security rules and screening procedures. A non-cutting tool (e.g. Pockttoolx Pirahna), and a separate pair of round nose scissors (i.e. Gingher pocket scissors) may be a better choice then a multitool. Trauma shears, for all their toughness, tend to make hash out of the lighter weight materials and are less then confortable on clamshell packaging.

http://www.leatherman.com/831680.html
http://www.gingher.com/product/4-safety-point-scissors-chrome-finish/61/

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#265974 - 12/21/13 02:19 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: Mark_R]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

In reply to Bingley's question and commenting on Mark R's post, Bingley, the security scans I'm describing are of the type Mark R describes. They are also in force at museums , some entertainment venues and even some office buildings. My standard kit, described in my first paragraph, with the exception of the LM, is TSA acceptable and in most other venues as well. Albeit, some museums require you to check all backpacks and large shoulder bags. The LM is a toss up in the other venues. I use a Blast because it's lightweight, very low profile and has no exterior one- hand opening tools. At some venues they flat out ban them. Then you either pass it up or move to the following alternatives: Ask the security desk to hold it for you, stash it in a flower pot for (hoped for) later retrieval or try to pay the hot dog vendor to hold it til you finish your visit, in that order of preference. As I stated, the larger tool augments are stashed in my car, office, hotel room, ICE.

Mark, my standard kit (again, first para of my post), sans LM, is the multi tool alternative. The Lee Valley scissors is my multi purpose cutting tool and it fits in visually/logically, given my relatively large first aid kit. The small reversible screwdriver has its obvious uses as does the PW II, at a lesser cost and arguably "grayer" appearance than the Piranah et al. Respectfully, I think you undervalue the near weightless ResQme. But, I admit the Silcock key may be overkill.

I do not scrimp on flashlights. I have multiples, in coin cell, 1 AAA, & 1 or 2 AA, some as dedicated headlights , all with bands or clips to rig as a headlight, for use by others too. My cell backup power unit is a Morphie case on my I -Phone. I also carry an Xcaper mask, swim goggles and Nomex gloves, Sechelles Advanced Straw Water Purifiers , dedicated water carry bags with folding coffee, water filters and sleeve holder, water pure tabs, CASH, WP pen/ paper and too much other harmless non - controversial sundries ( e.g. M & Ms, Bic lighter, Chapstick, everyday meds, AMK survival blanket, silcloth poncho, etc.)

Edited by acropolis5 (12/21/13 06:30 AM)

#266004 - 12/22/13 07:52 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Great feedback all. Thanks for putting forth your ideas.

#266056 - 12/25/13 03:04 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
sotto Offline
Addict

I would suggest that a good sized file (6-to-8 inch or so) would be extremely handy. I read somewhere once that with a good file, you could make almost any tool, but it's extremely difficult to make a good file.

#266060 - 12/25/13 02:23 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I carry a short section of hacksaw blade in a generic multi tool pouch, and with a split ring through the hole, and a section of wood slipped through,and a guide groove sawn, could make a field expedient handle...

but without a handle or multi tool, can be paired with a pocket clip knife to work rather well, though a lot of length is lost... if you try this for practice, cover the saw teeth as it will tear up the knife scales

#266064 - 12/25/13 05:58 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: LesSnyder]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Les, that's some clever innovation in the use of the split rings and knife handles to wield the hacksaw blades. I'm going to copy that in one future kit or another.

#266068 - 12/25/13 11:11 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Is that an Emerson CQC 7 in titanium, Les?

#266070 - 12/25/13 11:39 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Bingley... Benchmade Emerson CQC7 in ATS34... the bottom Benchmade is the Elishewitz Ares Axis lock in 154CM

Edited by LesSnyder (12/25/13 11:42 PM)

#266100 - 12/27/13 01:53 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
on the subject of crowbars again: how big does one need to be to be much use. can you prise open a locked door with the little ones. and i know people sneer at the super tough knives as 'sharpened pry bars' well are they? if i try breaking a chain with one am i going to end up with a razor sharp knife half in the face?
i keep thinking of the people on 911 who were stopped getting to the roof by a lock and the cleaner who got a bunch of people out by cutting through an interior door with his squeegee. in an urban environment it's going to have to be something pretty dramatic to be a disaster scenario; so rubble, jammed doors, or prising yourself out of a lift or vehicle don't sound that unlikely. is there some other solution than prying?
qjs

#266101 - 12/27/13 02:07 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

If you want to pry with a knife, I'd try the Boker Plus Cop Tool

http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO300.html

I don't know anything about breaking down doors. Even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and have watched some Youtube videos about using various firemen tools to break down doors, I'll shut my mouth of ignorance and let the first responders here talk.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.