Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#265742 - 12/14/13 05:57 PM Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#265751 - 12/14/13 09:54 PM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

definitely a good argument for owning a St Bernard :-)

Pete2

#265771 - 12/15/13 06:16 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Nuts!

#265772 - 12/15/13 06:22 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Glad she made it through.

A very serious business, being exposed in those conditions. I assume the lady had some significant health/mobility issues as an underlying factor. Inexperience in the care/feeding of a sled? Maybe; they can be finicky buggers at times.

If the news report is accurate (!?) the first responders fired up a PLB to ramp up the search. This suggests extremely limited comms in the area.

Edit: +1 on "Nuts!"

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/15/13 06:25 AM)

#265782 - 12/15/13 08:21 PM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Just one unnecessary mistake after another, progressively jeopardizing more lives along the way. Poor planning, poor judgement, leading to a potentially tragic ending.

It is still better to be lucky than good, especially if you are an idiot.

I wonder how much the rescue will cost them? Buying a decent radio system would've been cheaper. But you rolls the dice and you takes your chances I suppose.

#265785 - 12/15/13 08:35 PM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"It is still better to be lucky than good, especially if you are an idiot."

well Benjammin ... let's contemplate this.
Maybe there is some sort of principle of Darwinian selection operating on Plant Earth. The lucky idiots are surviving ... and then mating and multiplying. Do you think it's possible that eventually the entire world will be populated completely by lucky idiots???

Hahahaha!
Pete2

Edited by Pete (12/15/13 08:36 PM)

#265787 - 12/16/13 12:09 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If the news report is accurate (!?) the first responders fired up a PLB to ramp up the search. This suggests extremely limited comms in the area.
The Denali Highway is a 135 mile road, mostly gravel open in the summers, with a fair bit of use by hunters in the fall going after the Nelchina Caribou Herd. Even in summer there are very few services out there (a lodge and a few campgrounds). It is very remote in winter, though snow machiners travel it.

A slightly different news report Wildlife trooper helps rescue overdue trapper, wife near Cantwell

I don't know what comms the troopers may have out there. If anything, they might have a repeater or two. I would speculate that if the Wildlife Trooper was in a dead zone and didn't have direct comms where he found the lady, he may have used the PLB as the quickest way to alert the RCC. The RCC can activate the PJs and Pavehawk from the Air National Guard who would be by far the best option for quickly getting advanced medical aid to the hypothermic woman. (Severe hypothermia is very tough to deal with in the field.) Once the RCC had a C-130 Herc overhead, the Trooper could talk directly to them.

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I wonder how much the rescue will cost them? Buying a decent radio system would've been cheaper.
Easy to say, but a radio is of little use if you are out of range of anyone, or if no one is monitorying that channel. An Iridium Sat phone would work. (Global Star sat phones don't work too well in Alaska, since GlobalStar's satellites are very low in the sky up here.)

Regarding costs, the RCC, C-130 Herc, Pavehawk, and PJ's do it for training. A win-win, in that the military gets the most realistic training possible for their primary mission, and the public gets help in difficult situations. The volunteer searchers are...well...volunteers who work for free. The only real cost in this case would be the Wildlife Trooper's time.

Without knowing more details, I can't comment much on the rescued couples preparation, or lack thereof. It is all too easy for us to use our 20/20 hindsight to Monday morning quarterback these cases. Note that the gentlman was able to get a fire going and stay put until rescued. Why the woman burned her sled I have no clue. I think that to be in your sixties and out living the trapping lifestyle is commendable.

#265788 - 12/16/13 01:29 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Regarding costs, the RCC, C-130 Herc, Pavehawk, and PJ's do it for training. A win-win, in that the military gets the most realistic training possible for their primary mission, and the public gets help in difficult situations. The volunteer searchers are...well...volunteers who work for free. The only real cost in this case would be the Wildlife Trooper's time.

This general model is widespread across the country, and works rather well in my experience.

#265790 - 12/16/13 03:52 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: Pete]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: Pete
"It is still better to be lucky than good, especially if you are an idiot."

well Benjammin ... let's contemplate this.
Maybe there is some sort of principle of Darwinian selection operating on Plant Earth. The lucky idiots are surviving ... and then mating and multiplying. Do you think it's possible that eventually the entire world will be populated completely by lucky idiots???

Hahahaha!
Pete2

You've never read Ringworld, by Larry Niven. In this universe, you could get an extra baby permit by winning a lottery. One character in this novel is a product of several generations of this.

#265791 - 12/16/13 07:20 AM Re: Woman survives three nights in Alaskan cold [Re: Pete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

That's what taxes are for. We get to pay for all that luck the idiots seem to find. Wish I were lucky, and not an idiot.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.