The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#265935 - 12/19/13 10:26 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm assuming theses are going in a portable kit and not a stationary car or office kit.

Leatherman CS4 Juice, or Swiss Army Craftsman for single tools.

For a tool kit:
1) Needle nose Vice Grips
2) Stubby adjustable wrench
3) Good quality compact sharp scissors.
4) Good quality compact multi bit driver and your selection of bits. Include the larger finger ratchets as well as stubby drivers in this catagory:
5) Voltage detector pen
6) Small prybar (i.e. catspaw)

Other stuff carried in addition to the above:
3X5 or 4X6 notepad
Reliable ballpoint pens
Keychain tape measure
Spare power source for your cell (i.e. Energizer Energi to go)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#265936 - 12/19/13 10:59 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Maybe we should clarify the purpose of the urban kit. Are we electricians or are we trying to get home in an emergency? I'm genuinely curious as to the tasks that people plan to put their urban kit to. Learn from haertig: he showed up on the bus with tire chains, deicer, bag of sand, etc., and looked like a fool!

In terms of my actual history of use, the three most useful items for my day-to-day are: cell phone (with backup power), water, and meds/first aid. Food, flashlight, and USB thumb drives are on the second tier. Defensive knowledge and options are third. I don't get to use tools like pliers or vice grips that often, and so I don't actually carry any. I have a Leatherman Wave, but I've used it only once in five years.

As for survival or emergency scenarios, I plan to get to my car or get home on foot, where I have more gear.

#265944 - 12/20/13 03:01 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
At home: I use my Buck folder and Leatherman Wave several times daily. I use my small flashlight several times per week. I used my paracord for the first time ever, last week.

At work: I use my SAK, Leatherman Wave, & Mini Mag light daily. I've used my P-38 several times. The Magnesium Bar w/striker and photon light have never been used. I occasionally have need of my small pair of surgical scissors.

I use many apps on my cell phone for my line of business daily. My NukAlert hasn't gone off except when standing next to a friend within 3 days of his getting a hypodermic shot for cancer.

#265945 - 12/20/13 03:20 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In 1985, I saw my first Leatherman tool, the original PSK. It almost immediately replaced the SAK I had carried for years. Today I carry a Wave and use it a lot. When I am working, I usually supplement it with a bit kit and a small Crescent wrench. Other tools vary with the situation.

#265948 - 12/20/13 04:27 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Pete Offline
Veteran

benjammin .. I suppose the multi-tool would do this (kind of). But I find that a good pair of needle nose pliers are worth their weight in gold. if you don't mind the extra few ounces in weight, I would include those.

Pete2

#265950 - 12/20/13 06:54 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Benjammin: In my EDC/ GHB , NYC or other high security location kit variation , I use a LM Blast, Pocketwrench II , Leigh Valley EMT type scissors w/ o the bandage grab tip thingy, 4" reversible dual tip shaft pocket clip screwdriver, a ResQme tool and sometimes. A 4-way Silcock key. I know from experience that all that, except sometimes the LM, will pass thru most security scans. I also have 20'to 40'Kevlar 400lb. test cord , 10' of 2" Gorilla Tape and a bit of thin SS wire. A really small needle noes pliers can be subed for the LM, if necessary. I'm not counting the kit Nomex gloves and swim goggles.
When security scans and/or weight are not prime concerns, I add a 12" Ti, L shaped nail puller pry bar (a really light&strong pry with fulcrum and forked pry tip) or a Boker Cop tool, a small keyhole hacksaw or equivalent , 50' 7-9mm climbing rope and a Channelock 369, 9"Linesman Pliers, with xtra padding/ insulation on the handles in the form of multi layer wrap of self adhesive silicone tape. Obvious HD plier use. Also as a hammer. Also great for cutting fence wire blocking your legit evac. This heavy kit requires some discretion, as LE may view it as burgular tools, even tho you have no illegal intentions. If possible, don't carry it around, leave it in your car, office or hotel room, for emergency use.

#265951 - 12/20/13 07:54 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Acropolis5: What kind of security scans are you talking about?

I have opportunities to go to NYC. The last time I was there, I realized I couldn't go to a tourist attraction because the security checkpoint wouldn't allow my kit through. How sad and foolish.

Getting caught with your heavy kit in NYC is a trip to jail for sure. Do other cities have a similarly dim view of vigilant preppers?

#265953 - 12/20/13 09:53 AM Re: Which tools? [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Going back and rereading the original post, I'm going to revamp my list to just the LM juice CS4 paired with an alligator wrench (i.e. pocket wrench ii), tweezers, pen and notebook, and battery backup for your cell.You will find that will handle 99% of everything you will encounter in an urban environ.

EDIT: In this environ, information and communication are your most heavily used and valuable resources.

Edited by Mark_R (12/20/13 10:33 AM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#265965 - 12/20/13 07:25 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: benjammin]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Carrying a Leatherman here at work would be a terminating offense.

You see, HR doesn't think anyone can be trusted to not hurt themselves or others.

Good thing nobody sends paper mail anymore. Those letter openers were terrifying.....

#265967 - 12/20/13 07:59 PM Re: Which tools? [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Geez I'm glad I don't work for one of those companies. Sometimes I carry a Benchmade 710 and other times a BM 940. I'm not the only one who carries a locking folder, I've seen others with a Spyderco "Police", a Kershaw AO model and one of the PC types just carries a SAK. Leatherman multi-tools and knives are just tools. NBD Sorry for the OT rant.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.