Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#266378 - 01/04/14 08:56 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

in really cold camping, most use 2-3 bags...pile em on like blankets

#266536 - 01/13/14 02:51 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget

No such thing short of finding a down bag at a garage sale.

I am not a huge fan of down as old style down bags were famous for getting water logged with just a little bit of dampness. Newer ones tend to have a more water resistant outer fabric that tends to reduce the chance of it getting wet.

I think it is appropriate to use down bags but maybe not for younger campers who may still have issues with bed wetting. Once it gets wet, it will not dry while you are out on the trail.

Bob

#266545 - 01/13/14 06:22 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: ILBob]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget**

No such thing

Yep. A big fluffy bag will never be compact or cheap. A true cold weather bag 20º or 0º is a specialty item. You can keep an eye out for used, or just carry 2 (or 3) lighter bags.

** Reminds me of working in retail; The customer, often 1 or more a day, would ask for a a pack thats:

1. great for a weekend
2. also for an extended trips
3. and a trip to Europe
4. lightweight
5. cheap
6. In purple

#266558 - 01/14/14 02:04 AM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Denis]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Added to that, every time I moved cold air seemed to rush inside the sleeping bag (or the air I had warmed with my body rushed out, either way, brrrr) made the night really miserable, even with 3 layers of clothing on.

A good mummy bag would definitely solve that particular issue. When its cold out I find its best to cinch the hood up nice & tight, leaving only a breathing hole. This keeps most of that nice warm air inside the bag where we want it!

That's the part I hate the most about "mummy style" bags. I would rather cover my head with a toque and/or balaclava than restrict my movements as I need to move around while sleeping.

#266565 - 01/14/14 03:07 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sleeping comfortably in mummy bags is definitely an acquired taste, but they can't be beat for a good warmth/weight ratio. I will often put on a cap and sleep with my head outside the bag when it isn't that cold

#266588 - 01/14/14 09:22 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I can sleep in a mummy bag but it depends on the bag. I have one that's just too constricting/constraining to use, but another that's fine.

#266602 - 01/15/14 04:43 AM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Call me quirky but I winter sleep best in an unzipped mummy turned over with the zipper on the bottom, mummy over my face. Muffles my snoring, well not a lot. Wool or fleece hat. I can move easily and sleep on either side, back or belly. Two pads below, usually a blue pad and a z-rest. With proper ground insulation you don't get nearly as much cold air seeping in the sides as you may think. On really cold nights or ice cave sleeping when it can get wet I put everything inside a light over bag that packs down to the size a pair of socks. Other hikers also swear by rectangular down comforters for the best night's sleep. Don't forget a light snack an hour before bed, you'll sleep just a bit warmer.

For Scouts we always emphasize sleeping in their driest clothes, too often teen age years can make them uncomfortable about changing clothes in front of other Scouts. Starting out wet just starts an uncomfortable cycle.

Down or synthetic, we usually leave that to older Scouts to advise the younger. 50 milers or Philmont will make everyone an authority. 80% down out here in our PNW troop, altho there are some nice synth bags for decent dough, ymmv. For young Scouts it seems a struggle to get anything into a right sized pack for their height-weight - too tiny to haul very much. The troop quartermaster maintains a few bags and a few packs donated by departed scouts for tenderfeet to try out and see what they like.

Edited by Lono (01/15/14 04:49 AM)

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 463 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
11 minutes 35 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.