Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#265882 - 12/17/13 08:25 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: clearwater]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
great link, loving it, thank you clearwater

#265899 - 12/18/13 04:24 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
one thing with having two foam pads, my pack just has straps for one pad at the bottom of the pack, the straps aren't long enough to roll two pads together so I'd either have to piggy-back it, or find somewhere else to attach it. any suggestions? Later, I may try to attach some pics of the setup we have so far and the (admittedly crappy but usable for now) packs we are using.

Without seeing the specifics, my only thoughts are to ensure you roll the mats as tightly as possible and then to use cordage to rig up your own attachment method.

#265904 - 12/18/13 05:46 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Denis]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Wish had some extra time to post some pics, but DW had a blood clot removed from her leg after thanksgiving, so I am having to do a ton of housework to get ready for company coming in for christmas, and hoping i can make a quick batch of charcloth for some tinder kits I am making for all the scouts and adult leaders as christmas presents. As soon as I have time, I'll see what I can rig up and take some photos to post here.

#265909 - 12/18/13 06:48 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: clearwater]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Bag examples

Higher end 0 F synth north face $169
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___58751?cm_vc=PDPZ1
4lbs 2 oz

Low end 0 F synth slumberjack $59
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47321
4lb 15 oz.

Cheap down 0 F Kelty $189
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Cosmic-Degree-Down-Sleeping/dp/B004O706O0
3lb 12 oz

A word of caution on the temperature ratings specified by US retailers.

Here is an example of the specification for a high spec synthetic Bag - Thermarest Centari™ bag.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleeping-bags/centari-0-sleeping-bag/product

The EN Comfort rating is -5 C / 23 F

Yet the Rating given by most retailers regard it as a -18 C / 0F bag.

If you are going to go out in dangerously cold temperatures please go by the EN Comfort rating to give yourself a safety margin and insure the insulation under your sleeping bag has a R rating of at least 4.5 when using a synthetic sleeping bag.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/18/13 06:58 PM)

#265910 - 12/18/13 07:09 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

exactly AFLM

the whole idea behind a 0 degree F bag is to be comfortable in the most likely extreme of cold we will encounter. It is doubtful we will venture out in anything colder than the nights we encountered in our recent campouts, 20 to 25 degrees F at the worst, a 0 degree F bag should keep us cozy and comfy in those temps and provide a margin of error and a modicum of safety and comfort in case of any unforseen circumstances.

Besides, a 0 degree mummy bag is what DS asked for for scouting, and if his grades are good this 9 weeks I'd like to reward him with one.

#265911 - 12/18/13 07:26 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
[quote]
Comfort rating to give yourself a safety margin and insure the insulation under your sleeping bag has a R rating of at least 4.5 when using a synthetic sleeping bag.

Unless you are tough like the russian climbers who just flake out their rope for use as a mat.

#265912 - 12/18/13 08:19 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: clearwater]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Comfort rating to give yourself a safety margin and insure the insulation under your sleeping bag has a R rating of at least 4.5 when using a synthetic sleeping bag.

Unless you are tough like the russian climbers who just flake out their rope for use as a mat.
It also depends quite a lot on what clothing you wear inside the bag. Ed Viesturs describes in one of books using a very light bag on Mt Everest. He wears his full body down climbing suit inside a light bag. He does anything he can to save a few grams of weight.

For those who don't follow climbing, Viesturs is the first American to climb all 14 of the 8000 meter peaks, and the fifth person to do so without using bottled oxygen. He has climbe Mt Everest seven times. He is one very hard dude who has spent a lot of time in extreme cold. Don't try this at home, kids. smile

Edited by AKSAR (12/18/13 08:34 PM)
Edit Reason: added Viesturs link

#265914 - 12/18/13 11:10 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

IMHO - most people buy too much bag; if you are truly camping in 0º weather, then yes get that bag. But most people don't. If you camp at 40º, don't get a 20º bag "just in case."

There is a new system of temp ratings...and it includes comfort, discomfort and "survival" temps.

#265915 - 12/18/13 11:34 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
IMHO - most people buy too much bag; if you are truly camping in 0º weather, then yes get that bag. But most people don't. If you camp at 40º, don't get a 20º bag "just in case."

I tend to agree, I know I'd be way too uncomfortable in a -20 C bag in most conditions assuming I had a good mattress/mattress system. However, its also a personal thing, my kids seem to do just fine in bags rated much lower than the actual conditions.

Actually, as an interesting aside, I used to camp even in the summer with my -7 bag and a low-quality mattress (I didn't do any winter camping back then). When I finally got a good mattress (R value of around 3.5) I found I was routinely too warm. Ultimately I ended up getting a +5 summer bag that I now use unless the overnight temp is actually forecasted to drop below that. I've found the same with my winter set up, unless it is really going to drop below -10 or so the full-blown bag + overbag can get too warm. On the flip side, if the temp is going below what I am equipped for bag wise, extra (dry) layers can help fill the gap (in one case, even partially zipping my down jacket around my bag was helpful).

#265916 - 12/18/13 11:36 PM Re: Compact cold weather sleeping bag on budget [Re: AKSAR]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

For those who don't follow climbing, Viesturs is the first American to climb all 14 of the 8000 meter peaks, and the fifth person to do so without using bottled oxygen. He has climbe Mt Everest seven times. He is one very hard dude who has spent a lot of time in extreme cold. Don't try this at home, kids. smile

Well said.

Viesturs is also, IIRC, a veterinarian and a pretty devoted husband/dad who co-authors good books about climbing, and avoids the tendency to trash other climbers. Likeable sort, unlike many of the climber-authors.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.