The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#265522 - 12/05/13 07:52 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Denis]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I vote for a good long handle axe (hatchet is heavier) as a single choice for northern woods. In fact, I don't see a single survival task a knife can do which an axe can't. A knife is simply lighter, holds the edge better, and handier.

#265529 - 12/05/13 09:15 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: templedog2]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
To get a bit more specific with my tool list, here is what I have been bringing with me into the woods most recently for overnight trips (in both summer & winter conditions):
  • Fallkniven F1 (4" fixed blade)
  • Bacho Folding Wood Saw (7.5" blade)
  • Wenger S13 (85mm SAK, locking main blade, saw, etc)
  • Gerber Gator Combo Axe (small hatchet ... 8.75" overall length, ~1.5 lbs)

I have found that the F1 & Bacho are more than capable for gathering & processing firewood. The saw especially is a huge benefit ... this became very noticeable when I was processing wood alongside my buddy who was using his larger Gerber hatchet (the Sport Axe I think) when we were out last winter. I was churning out noticeably more wood than he was with a lower overall effort and in less time. Saws simply rock in the woods.

For splitting wood, again I have found that usually the F1 is more than capable at splitting what I typically need to get a good fire going. I do use my Gerber for splitting, but it's usually more out of convenience than necessity.

Regarding the SAK, it usually doesn't get much use. I got lazy and brought some canned food on one trip so I really needed it there smile and occasionally I'll need the screwdriver when swapping out batteries, but mostly it's there just in case.

As I said, the hatchet I never feel is really needed, but I bring it because it does make some wood splitting a little more convenient and I really like it for pounding in my tent stakes. However, I've been eyeing up some hammocks recently so even that utility may not last. If I do switch to a hammock, I think my hatchet will be staying home.

So, based on my real world use of these tools, I put the knife & saw as my #1 & #2 edged tools. As a benefit, the pair weighs under 3/4 of a pound (Bacho 180g, F1 150g); they are an easy combo to bring on any outdoor adventure.

#265530 - 12/05/13 09:23 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Alex]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Alex
I vote for a good long handle axe (hatchet is heavier) as a single choice for northern woods. In fact, I don't see a single survival task a knife can do which an axe can't. A knife is simply lighter, holds the edge better, and handier.

I agree with your assessment of the tools, but personally that type of axe isn't something I'd ever bring into the woods with me when travelling by foot; its too large & heavy for my liking. For that reason, I personally give the edge to a good knife (i.e., its something I'd actually bring with me).

#265534 - 12/05/13 11:27 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

That's understandable. However (looking at your list above), axe can easily replace both large fixed blade (Fallkniven F1), the folding saw, and the Gator mini hatchet - all together. Surely that will be less convenient, but might even save the hiking weight. A synthetic long handle axe could be found in about 4-5 pounds range. Just avoid splitting axes.

#265537 - 12/06/13 12:07 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Alex]
Denis Offline
Addict

True, a longer handled synthetic axe might be able to get close to my combo's weight, but a part of the line of thinking I've developed here is that I don't really consider the hatchet to be a necessary piece of my gear. Largely, I find it is nice to have for some uses (especially as a hammer smile ), but that it really is non-essential (to the point that I really question bringing it along when I evaluate things, like now).

For that reason, I still think I'd favour a knife/saw combo over a long handled axe. The combo is not only lighter (and significantly so), but I would still bet that it would be easier/safer/more efficient to process wood with the saw & knife than it would be with the axe.

Or maybe the combo of folding saw & hatchet might be worth looking at too (I always though the Roselli axe would be nice to have). It would be a bit heavier than most knife/saw combos, but I think the benefit of having the saw is more than worthwhile.

Now that I think about it, I guess that's really my bottom line. If I'm carrying more than a knife, I want a saw to be a part of the picture somehow smile

#265538 - 12/06/13 01:09 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Denis]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I generally just carry a knife or two, or perhaps a knife and leatherman, but then I'm usually using a stove and not relying on fires, except in extremis or for ambiance. If weight isn't such an issue (as in sea kayaking), and I expect to be using much wood, I might carry a small saw, and possibly a small hatchet. The knife/saw/hatchet combo is very versatile.

I'm partial to the Sven Saw. At slighly over a pound, it's a bit heavier than the Bahco, but has a 21 inch blade. One can do some serious cutting with the sven.

Unless car camping, where weight and bulk is really not an issue, I wouldn't carry a larger axe. Unless I were planning on building a cabin, I can't think of much that I would want to do that couldn't be readily done with the knife/saw/hatchet combo. But then if I'm car camping, I could just as easily throw in my little chain saw! wink

Edited by AKSAR (12/06/13 01:13 AM)

#265539 - 12/06/13 01:18 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Denis]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

The axe's primary purpose is to cut quite a serious size trees (for fire and shelter), not just splitting some kindling. Sure thing, that's not what a typical overnight walk in the park demands or even allows. But for a survival BoB in rural environment with abundance of trees along the way I would definitely get something like this Fiskars zombie head chopper: http://au.fiskars.com/Gardening-Yard-Car...hopping-Axe-X15

A decent folding saw might be OK for a 2-4 inch twig, but it takes quite a time and effort to saw it, even if it's a dry wood, and the tree is already on the ground. An axe cuts such a piece in 5-10 skillful hits without even breaking a sweat. That's about 10 times faster. Imagine building a full size sleeping wood platform for 2 above the snow with just a folding saw and a knife, it will take half of the day or more. With a long axe - an hour and half - max. Also you don't have to look around for a rare not rotten or dump downed tree trunk for the overnight fire, just find an always crisp dry standing dead tree nearby.

Other points:
- an axe is almost indestructible piece of gear insensitive to abuse, saw and knife are much more fragile tools;
- it's almost impossible to sharpen the saw (at least with the teeth type of folding versions) in the field, an axe can be sharpened with almost any stone.
- an axe is a great hammer for shelter and the camp building tasks.

IMO, an axe is incomparably more effective survival tool than folding saw and a knife all together. But it definitely requires more skill to use in different tasks.

#265540 - 12/06/13 01:36 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Alex]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not really part of a BOB, but for travel by car/truck in some parts of the great northern woods a chainsaw can be a useful tool just to get home. Trees fall and sometimes they fall across a road. Not that I've ever done it, but free firewood is always a good thing. Just my luck I drove down that road after the road clearing had progressed to the stacking wood phase. But for those who don't have a chainsaw, an axe or folding saw can still be very useful in clearing the path ahead.

#265541 - 12/06/13 01:39 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Imagine building a full size sleeping wood platform for 2 above the snow with just a folding saw and a knife, it will take half of the day or more. With a long axe - an hour and half - max.

Actually, I do have a hard time imagining a sleeping platform for two above the snow. I would prefer to erect a tent, possibly even a floorless model. I will be warmer and it will take less time. I'll bet a proficient person can build an igloo in about an hour and one half(I am not that dude) and that will be even better. If you snuggle down in the snow, the temperature will be about 32F, while if you are suspended above, you will be subject to whatever the ambient temp might be...-40F?

I, too am a fan of the Sven saw. A spare blade weighs much less than a sharpening stone. But let's face it, if weight is not an issue, that is, if you are not backpacking, carry all of the above. There are good reasons these different tools have been developed. Both saws and axes go back to the Stone Age.

#265546 - 12/06/13 03:48 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Alex]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The axe's primary purpose is to cut quite a serious size trees (for fire and shelter), not just splitting some kindling. Sure thing, that's not what a typical overnight walk in the park demands or even allows. ..... A decent folding saw might be OK for a 2-4 inch twig, but it takes quite a time and effort to saw it, even if it's a dry wood, and the tree is already on the ground.
A Sven Saw will quite easily cut a 4 or even 5 inch tree or branch. I can't recall ever needing to cut any thing bigger than that.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Imagine building a full size sleeping wood platform for 2 above the snow with just a folding saw and a knife, it will take half of the day or more. With a long axe - an hour and half - max.

Actually, I do have a hard time imagining a sleeping platform for two above the snow. I would prefer to erect a tent, possibly even a floorless model. I will be warmer and it will take less time. I'll bet a proficient person can build an igloo in about an hour and one half(I am not that dude) and that will be even better. If you snuggle down in the snow, the temperature will be about 32F, while if you are suspended above, you will be subject to whatever the ambient temp might be...-40F?
Yes indeed. I've spent a fair bit of time out in the snow, and a "sleeping wood platform....above the snow" doesn't ring my bell. A tent, igloo, classic snow cave or any one of an infinate number of other improvised snow shelters will be a much warmer way to spend the night.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.