Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#265492 - 12/04/13 07:40 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: JBMat]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, my BOB is a truck too.

If I'm bugging out from a wildfire, I'll have loaded it up prior to the bug-out decision and I'll simply drive to a hotel out of the path. If it's an earthquake I'll make a decision based on availability of utilities. Hopefully the truck won't be part of a collapsed former dwelling.

If I need to bug out from SOCAL for some reason (widespread social unrest comes to mind), reliable transportation is a prerequisite. I'll preferably be out ahead of the masses and have fuel stops available to get to my destination, but in BOB mode my truck has food, water and shelter. All I need is (lots) more fuel. Depending on the severity of the social unrest that may be an issue.

In any case, a BOB that looks a lot like camping gear may be exactly what is needed. It all depends...

#265496 - 12/04/13 09:00 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you people smile are responsible for my BOB, which is most likely a remain overnight kit....after my first visit to this forum, I purchased one of the Ritter AMK Survival kits and one of the heat sheets...but by and large, the rest was assembled from stuff lying around... the bag, with hydration bladder came off a prize table at a 3 gun match... extra first aid supplies.... toiletries kit... mil surplus stove and Sterno...water filter... spare clothing, gloves and Boonie hat...extra multi tool and SAK.. pruning saw...LMF large fire steel...Silva compass... I don't need the cold weather gear most have, and the shelter gear is a coated nylon poncho, mosquito netting, and a 3mil construction bag... I did splurge for a couple of pouches of freeze dried food, and just added one of the Sawyer mini filters...and as others have commented, I have some heavier equipment in a plastic crate, that can be selectively chosen if need be...without water, the bag is a pretty reasonable 27#... previously posted pic

#265501 - 12/05/13 12:05 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
templedog2 Offline
Stranger

Edged Tools
What single tool or combination of tools would be the most useful: Knife (Small, Medium, Large)? Fixed or Folding?
Hatchet?

For use in Northern Woodlands

Templedog2

#265504 - 12/05/13 12:36 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: templedog2]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My vote would be for a multitool, a Leatherman Wave, to be more precise. One reason is that is typically my EDC and most likely to be available.

For the most part, if you are really traveling, you will not have a whole lot of time for carpentry.

#265505 - 12/05/13 12:54 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: templedog2]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'd go for a combination of tools in the form of a large axe, a 6" belt knife a locking folder and the Leatherman MT of your choice (Charge TTi or Supertool in my case). If I'm planning for something I don't plan to have only one tool. I have multiples of the above and when my truck turns into a BOB they are part of the load. YMMV

#265506 - 12/05/13 01:58 AM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: templedog2]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#265514 - 12/05/13 04:28 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: hikermor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I am not a huge fan of this kind of BOB. Just too heavy to cart around and if you are going to be in your vehicle why do you need all this expensive stuff?

Bob

#265516 - 12/05/13 04:40 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: ILBob]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree with you with respect to the filet knife, but,especially if you are in a vehicle, include the saw and axe/hatchet. Just check out the photos in another thread of the downed trees in Merrie England today...

I once spent the better part of an afternoon whittling away at a large down tree with a machete, the largest tool we had, because the driver of the truck didn't include any pioneer equipment (axe, shovel, saw) in his vehicle EDC. The machete was far superior to my Leatherman, at least.

#265518 - 12/05/13 05:54 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: templedog2]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: templedog2
Edged Tools
What single tool or combination of tools would be the most useful: Knife (Small, Medium, Large)? Fixed or Folding?
Hatchet?

For use in Northern Woodlands

When I think about wilderness survival up here in Southern Alberta my current thinking is:
  • If I only have one tool, I want a sturdy fixed blade knife.
  • If I have 2, it would be that knife & a folding saw

From there, I'd add, a SAK or Leatherman as a backup / repairs tool and a hatchet. Actually, the hatchet is the most contentious choice as I often question its utility v. wieght. It always seems to come along when I'm planning an overnight though.

This is talking about foot powered pursuits.

#265521 - 12/05/13 07:51 PM Re: Building a cost effective BOB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
templedog2 Offline
Stranger

These tools would be for traveling on foot. Remember the woodland indians seemed to favor the hachet (tomahawk).

templedog2

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.