Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#265034 - 11/13/13 03:35 AM New item: Fleece for everyone!
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another useful item I'm adding to preps/ kits; an oversized fleece jacket for everyone.

Useful, cheap warmth. Can be layered and is light (though bulky)

#265036 - 11/13/13 04:01 AM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have been scrounging polyester fleece hoodies from my local charity stores, sterilizing them, and stuffing them under the car seats. Handy (and disposable) when changing a tire; and without hesitation I can hand them to anyone who needs one, including a complete stranger who's in a bind.

The nice thing about polyester fleece is that you can soak it in a bleach solution strong enough to dissolve metal (i.e., kills everything) and the fleece won't mind a bit.

Wonder if the standard fleece throw, available for a couple of bucks, would work as a blanket coat? Don't know if the dimensions are right.

#265037 - 11/13/13 04:51 AM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm a big fan of fleece! I bet I have a dozen fleece jackets, at the very least. It has to be under 20 F or so before I ditch my fleecie in favor of a proper winter coat.

#265044 - 11/13/13 06:12 AM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I wear one of several Eddie Bauer fleece pull overs almost every day from October to June in the PNW. I lost a 7 year old fleece (my green one, sob) on a flight back from Turkey and felt like I'd lost an old friend.

Work surplussed some heavy duty fleece zip ups, I snagged 4 and keep them in the trunk of my car for folks who come out of a fire with nothing to keep them warm. I think I still have 2.

Recommend windproof fleece for preparedness kits, its a darn sight warmer if the cold wind doesn't cut through, but anything is better than nothing.

#265046 - 11/13/13 01:30 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've got a fleece North Face jacket that's been with me for about 11 years (that an ex-gf gave me, don't tell wifey!) Starting to wear thin, but doing well.

One thing I hate about fleece is that wind cuts right through it. When I finally get around to replacing it, I'll get a windproof one.

I've also got 2 fleece vests (great for camping/layering) and a few uniform fleeces that can work in a pinch. It's ridiculously cheap (what, like $10 at Old Navy?) and does pretty well, especially in damp weather. Not the greatest material on the planet, but a good cheap/warm solution.

#265048 - 11/13/13 02:20 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
They're pricey, but I really like my Under Armour Storm gear. Super comfy, super warm, waterproof and cuts the wind better than any fleece I've owned.

#265050 - 11/13/13 03:13 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My go-to jacket for the cold months in SOCAL (it can reach into the 20's before the sun rises) is a wind-proof fleece jacket I got from Cabela's (their logo). It's a nice jacket and has held up well.

#265056 - 11/13/13 11:12 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Fleece is a staple in my outdoor gear and has been for decades. Tough, durable, warm even when wet, relatively lightweight (albeit bulky), what is there not to like about it. I almost always slip a windproof shell over the fleece when it gets breezy. I prefer that approach to the "windproof" varieties.

Be aware that fleece comes in a variety of weights and grades, and not all of it is sewn all that well. Like a lot of other things, bargains are available if you shop carefully - something you won;t have to do all that often. I have one jacket that is more than thirty years old, and several that are going beyond their second decade.

All in all, fleece is a very fine example of the many benefits of civilization.....

#265058 - 11/13/13 11:24 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: TeacherRO]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Agree with all, fleece is great, light, dries quickly, and I always have a layer or two around.

The only thing that's been a gotcha for me is when I'm hanging around the campfire. I have a few fleece hoodies that have extra... ah... ventilation holes in them that the manufacturer never intended.

- Ron

#265060 - 11/13/13 11:33 PM Re: New item: Fleece for everyone! [Re: Be_Prepared]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
True, that one of the drawbacks of fleece. But then, campfires are so uncivilized - I really don't do them much any more, except in emergencies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.